USMLE Am I out of my mind?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nidusiamnot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNers,
Long time lurker, I'm scheduled for the Step 1 on 26th of this month. I've taken a CBSSA assessment w/o prep and scored an equivalent to 192. Caveat being, I was slightly intoxicated when I took it.

Now I have about a month left for prep and have only been able to do two organ systems in that time (the weakest on the spread). I do score 80-100% on Uworld with them now but know f8ck all about anything else.

I've been floating by in my FOREIGN med school by a combination of lucky and study binges. Even then my scores have been marginally above passing or in the 75%.

The issue is I keep thinking that I will understand the concepts once I do see them for the first time and will retain them. This has proven pretty invalid with the sheer amount of information there is to retain. I'm doing UFAP with Kaplan thrown in for my weaker subjects.

I guess I'm asking, with this much time left, what are my chances to score over 250 at this point if I watch Pathoma, finish UWORLD and memorize FA cold.

Also can someone suggest a resource for microbio because Kim Moscatello will take too long. My weakest subjects are Neuro and Anat (I virtually know nothing), so any guidance in that regard would be appreciated.

Rescheduling at this point is not an option because I would rather be done with the Step. I'm not worried about passing, I just want your assessment whether a semi smart student diligently studying concepts that are mostly new to him can still score impressively despite the IMG handicap.

It's a long read, I appreciate your time.

TL,DR. Haven't got a grasp on a few basic concepts, ***** at neuro, can I still make it a 250?

Members don't see this ad.

F0r microbio, it depends on the depth of your current knowledge. If you are just looking to review (meaning you already understand the concepts), then FA alone is probably enough. If you need to learn that stuff, then something more substantial may be needed. Some of my classmates used Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple during the year and had good things to say about it but it's somewhat long and is probably not needed if you just need a refresher.

Reactions: 1 user
I just need a refresher and those charts from FA committed to memory. I'm just a better visual learner, hence the preference for videos.

You have to Give some Alone Dedicated Time to Anatomy and Neuro, Other Wise it won't get better by it self..

Regarding Neuro, It was Always my Nightmare, I had To actually Watch Dr.Najeeb Vids To learn its ABC's.
After That I Studied it From the Kaplan Book and FA Twice in a Row, and After all the Mistakes I Made in Neuro From Kaplan Q Bank in Anatomy, Behavioral and Pathology Section, only Now I Feel Confident in Neuro..

Pretty Much the Same thing happened with Anatomy, All my Knowledge is From Kaplan Q Bank + Notes. I suggest You Drop Everything, And Strengthen your Week Points.

I Think Videos is best Suitable for the 1st Read, To help you familiarize what you're going to Read and Consolidate your Own way, it is a kind of lazy way to learn, however,, while escaping the book reading and memorizing and connecting ideas which is the most effective way for learning.

But I do encourage you to delay your exam, Perhaps after another NBME before the Exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Indeed JDUB I agree, it's too much to go through even to finish my first pass. But I'm worried I'll lose everything that I've learned if I delay it till winter. It's a pretty bum situation and I can only blame myself.

So guys I took USWA2 and got a 216. I know it overshoots by 20. At this point I haven't reviewed Micro or patho. I can probably study those and take Form 1 next week. Better to delay to December or take it now before school starts? Passing is not an issue, I'm just want to get the highest score that my mental faculties allow. Is it too much to cram for 2 weeks? I really appreciate your inputs.

Forget Kaplan completely- it's way too dense to remember things. Memorize FA very well and you'll know all the HY facts. Whatever you don't understand, use Wiki. For Anatomy - no need to read an entire book, just use flashcards (you can find them online on sites like cram, quizlet, etc)

True, I'm trying my best to cram FA and finish up uworld. Anatomy is sadly something I never learned the right way. ty for your input.