Am I out of the running?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarlettblack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a junior and feeling so overwhelmed at the moment. My sGPA is 3.4 (after this semester it will be closer to 3.3ish) and my cGPA is 3.64. I have been an EMT at a kids camp for four years + run as a volunteer at my local ambulance service. I am a second year resident advisor. I have some shadowing experience (a lot more planned for summer/spring break). I do volunteer research with a neurobiologist and am working on an honor's thesis relating to methods of coping with stress in emergency medical workers. I am planning on enrolling in a Princeton review course for this upcoming spring.

However, I cannot get over my low GPA. Do you believe I have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

You would be fine for DO school as long as your MCAT is 25 or higher. For MD a 30 or higher may be necessary but it depends on other factors. What is your state of residence ? Are you URM ?

You would be fine for DO school as long as your MCAT is 25 or higher. For MD a 30 or higher may be necessary but it depends on other factors. What is your state of residence ? Are you URM ?

Ok thank you for the update. I am from South Dakota and I want to do family/rural practice so that will give me an edge at the SD school. I am not a URM. I am also looking at the DO school in Des Moines

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA will hurt you for some MD schools, but with a strong MCAT you still have a decent shot. On the other hand, I agree with Faha that if you score a 25+ you're a strong candidate for DO schools. Don't lose hope, your GPA isn't nearly as poor as I expected it to be from the title of the thread. :)

Your numbers aren't very competitive for MD schools, but might be depending upon the state where you live. For example, you'd still be fine for LSU.

You're fine for any DO school.

If you're boning for the MD degree, i suggest an SMP.

You need to ace MCAT as well.

Hello, I am a junior and feeling so overwhelmed at the moment. My sGPA is 3.4 (after this semester it will be closer to 3.3ish) and my cGPA is 3.64. I have been an EMT at a kids camp for four years + run as a volunteer at my local ambulance service. I am a second year resident advisor. I have some shadowing experience (a lot more planned for summer/spring break). I do volunteer research with a neurobiologist and am working on an honor's thesis relating to methods of coping with stress in emergency medical workers. I am planning on enrolling in a Princeton review course for this upcoming spring.

However, I cannot get over my low GPA. Do you believe I have a chance?

Hey, wait a minute. This person has a 3.64 GPA and a 3.4 sGPA. Did anyone else read it the wrong way at first? Isn't a 3.64 pretty solid for MD if she gets 30+? Why the SMP?

Hey, wait a minute. This person has a 3.64 GPA and a 3.4 sGPA. Did anyone else read it the wrong way at first? Isn't a 3.64 pretty solid for MD if she gets 30+? Why the SMP?
Possible and competitive are quite different adjectives. Competitive is normally used to describe people at or above medians. The sGPA simply isn't at that point right now.

Where can I find the stats for acceptances by sGPA? I have AAMC Table 25 for cGPA.

I am definitely open to DO schools. Thanks for the information everyone! If there is a link to stats on acceptance by sGPA, I would be interested in those too.

What if the sGPA is low from just a few Freshman year grades but the rest are good and had a upward trend? Also what if that was coupled with a +34 MCAT? Would you still recommend a SMP?

What if the sGPA is low from just a few Freshman year grades but the rest are good and had a upward trend? Also what if that was coupled with a +34 MCAT? Would you still recommend a SMP?
Depends on just how low the GPA is, but with that great MCAT and a strong upward trend I'd say generally no.