Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Am I really cut out for this?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by iHEARTfraps, Dec 16, 2005.

1. iHEARTfraps

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys....I just finished a semester of microbiology and got a C+. This REALLY discouraged me :(.
    This really opened my eyes and made me think..am I really going to get into dental school? My overall gpa is 3.37 and my science gpa is 2.7. I just finished the first semester of my junior year so I have three semesters left (plus summer). I have good recs from dentists....what do you guys think...should I still try hard or start looking for other career option?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. clp

clp Member
    5+ Year Member

don't give up hope.... i'm being dead serious. a c+ isn't going to kill your hopes (I PROMISE) and don't let anyone make you believe otherwise. check out the people on this forum that have perserverd with somewhat less than desirable stats and not only got into dental school, but are doing and will do very well. relax and gear up for next semester. you'll be fine. definitely definitely continue to work hard if dental school is really what you want!

4. jaerob

jaerob Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Buckle down. Seriously. And best of luck! Hopefully it will pay off big come dental school application time :thumbup:

5. Richnator

Richnator Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey bro,
    C+ is nothing. I got 2 C's in organic chem, but I made sure I killed the DAT science section. Just study hard. Anything is attainable if you put your mind to it. DON'T EVER GIVE UP!! I will be visiting the forums on and off. I hope to see the "I ROCKED THE DAT," with your name on it next year. So, good luck bro.

Take care,
    Rich

6. sunphish

sunphish Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I had a C+ in Microbio and in Chem II...and guess what...I am on my way to ds next year. I agree with the others, if this is what you want, use the next three semesters to really boost your science GPA...completely doable if you focus and work really hard. Best of luck!

7. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    You've got a 3.9 GPA that spans 5 semesters, and you're asking if you should quit trying for dental school because of a single C+?

Getting through dental school requires a lot of perseverence, and plugging away even when things are looking pretty crummy. I hope you'll take this constructively, not to belittle you; even if you're discouraged now, keep at it. Later, you'll be glad you did.