SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Am I retarded????

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by optimisticdoc, Oct 18, 2001.

1. optimisticdoc

optimisticdoc Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 22, 2001
    birmingham
    Listen to this %$#@. I just got my MCAT score back today and did fairly well on my Physical and Biological Science sections. But what is so confusing to me is my indirect correlation concerning my Writing Sample vs. my Verbal Reasoning section. I REALLY, I mean REALLY scored badly on my Verbal Reasoning section but scored in the 95% range for my Writing Sample. How in the hell does this happen?? One would think that if an individual posseses the cognitive ability to regurgitate information one can also read!!! Not so in my case.... Needless to say, I wil be taking the MCAT again in April and would like to know what I may be able to do to enhance my Verbal score? I NEED HELP!!!! :(

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Coalboy

Coalboy Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2001
    East Providence, RI
    I did pretty much the opposite: I got a 12 Verbal (90+ percentile), but only a P on the writing sample (50-65 percentile). Not that a P is bad, but next to the rest of my scores, it's not so good. All the practice essays I did for Kaplan received fairly high scores. I guess either I choked or the "Kaplan Method (tm)" doesn't work on the AAMC people.

4. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Virginia
    As mentioned before on how the writing samples are scored by the writing experts....

1. Open test booklet
    2. Hang open booklet on the wall
    3. With eyes closed tightly throw a number of multi colored darts in the direction of the booklet.
    4. Open eyes
    5. See which dart hit the booklet and that is the score.
    :p :p :p :p

5. SMW

SMW Grand Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak
    12 on Verbal. M (!) on Writing. :( :confused:

6. jftsai

jftsai Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 28, 2001
    Ohio
    I can top that. I got an L for writing. :(

7. isa

isa Senior Member 7+ Year Member

May 9, 2001
    CA
    You guys might ask for a re-evaluation on your writing samples. My friend did and got his changed from M to R. It's worth a try!

8. Resident Alien

Resident Alien What? 7+ Year Member

Jul 21, 2001
    Cleveland
    L here too! And i was questioned about it! That got me.....maybe it was cuz i got an 8 on VR .... oh well
    :cool:

9. lilninja

lilninja Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 8, 2001
    The verbal section has to do a lot with time. And discerning between details. A lot of people have a tough time with the verbal section but do well on the writing (I think med schools are used to seeing that)

10. bobcat

bobcat Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 23, 2001
    Wow, that message title really suprised me. That is the kind of insensitivity I expect from a third grader and not from a future physician. Please try to be a respectful.

11. SMW

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak
    How does one go about doing that? And does anyone know what the grading criteria are on the writing sample? Do they consider spelling? Oh, and bobcat, I agree about the thread title. :(

12. csgirl

csgirl Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 12, 2001
    OH
    Bobcat: What are you talking about? Who are you talking to?

13. SMW

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak
    Read a lot, at least 30 minutes per day of high level reading material. Philosophy, or magazines's like Harper's or the New Yorker.

And please try not to use "retarded" in the juvenile colloquial manner.

Got any suggestions for me on the writing sample?

14. snowballz

snowballz Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 29, 2001
    I am going to agree with bobcat SMW. The use of "retarded" in this sense is totally offensive to mentally and physically challenged people..not to mention the insensitivity!! One of my pet peeves is the use of this word in this manner!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Really burns my ass, can't you tell?

Alicia

15. Sarena

Sarena Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    12 verbal reasoning and L on writing sample which really, really surprised me because I that is where I thought I would do my best, and I felt good about my responses when I left the testing site.

16. none

none 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2001
    I got an 11 verbal and an R on writing. They seem close enough.

17. csgirl

csgirl Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 12, 2001
    OH
    Snowballz: Oh! That's what bobcat was talking about!! Yeah, I agree, I don't like it when people use the word "retarded" in that way. It's very disrespectful and insensative to people who are mentally retarded. I know it's not meant that way, but people should think about what they say before they say it. I think the OP just wasn't thinking.

18. snowballz

snowballz Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 29, 2001
    I know the poster didn't mean it in a harmful way. It is just that people use the word "retarded" so absentmindedly. Being mentally or physically handicapped is a serious thing...not to be taken lightly. Getting a low verbal reasoning score does not count as being retarded. :(

Many mentally and physically challenged people are the sweetest, most compassionate loving human beings....and if you know any, they will light up your life, I'm sure of it. ;)

Alicia