Am I ******ed????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optimisticdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Listen to this %$#@. I just got my MCAT score back today and did fairly well on my Physical and Biological Science sections. But what is so confusing to me is my indirect correlation concerning my Writing Sample vs. my Verbal Reasoning section. I REALLY, I mean REALLY scored badly on my Verbal Reasoning section but scored in the 95% range for my Writing Sample. How in the hell does this happen?? One would think that if an individual posseses the cognitive ability to regurgitate information one can also read!!! Not so in my case.... Needless to say, I wil be taking the MCAT again in April and would like to know what I may be able to do to enhance my Verbal score? I NEED HELP!!!! :(

Members don't see this ad.

I did pretty much the opposite: I got a 12 Verbal (90+ percentile), but only a P on the writing sample (50-65 percentile). Not that a P is bad, but next to the rest of my scores, it's not so good. All the practice essays I did for Kaplan received fairly high scores. I guess either I choked or the "Kaplan Method (tm)" doesn't work on the AAMC people.

As mentioned before on how the writing samples are scored by the writing experts....

1. Open test booklet
2. Hang open booklet on the wall
3. With eyes closed tightly throw a number of multi colored darts in the direction of the booklet.
4. Open eyes
5. See which dart hit the booklet and that is the score.
:p :p :p :p

Members don't see this ad :)
12 on Verbal. M (!) on Writing. :( :confused:

I can top that. I got an L for writing. :(

You guys might ask for a re-evaluation on your writing samples. My friend did and got his changed from M to R. It's worth a try!

L here too! And i was questioned about it! That got me.....maybe it was cuz i got an 8 on VR .... oh well
:cool:

The verbal section has to do a lot with time. And discerning between details. A lot of people have a tough time with the verbal section but do well on the writing (I think med schools are used to seeing that)

Wow, that message title really suprised me. That is the kind of insensitivity I expect from a third grader and not from a future physician. Please try to be a respectful.

Originally posted by isa:
•You guys might ask for a re-evaluation on your writing samples. My friend did and got his changed from M to R. It's worth a try!•

How does one go about doing that? And does anyone know what the grading criteria are on the writing sample? Do they consider spelling? Oh, and bobcat, I agree about the thread title. :(

Bobcat: What are you talking about? Who are you talking to?

Originally posted by optimisticdoc:
• Needless to say, I wil be taking the MCAT again in April and would like to know what I may be able to do to enhance my Verbal score? I NEED HELP!!!! :(

Read a lot, at least 30 minutes per day of high level reading material. Philosophy, or magazines's like Harper's or the New Yorker.

And please try not to use "******ed" in the juvenile colloquial manner.

Got any suggestions for me on the writing sample?

I am going to agree with bobcat SMW. The use of "******ed" in this sense is totally offensive to mentally and physically challenged people..not to mention the insensitivity!! One of my pet peeves is the use of this word in this manner!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Really burns my ass, can't you tell?

Alicia

12 verbal reasoning and L on writing sample which really, really surprised me because I that is where I thought I would do my best, and I felt good about my responses when I left the testing site.

I got an 11 verbal and an R on writing. They seem close enough.

Snowballz: Oh! That's what bobcat was talking about!! Yeah, I agree, I don't like it when people use the word "******ed" in that way. It's very disrespectful and insensative to people who are mentally ******ed. I know it's not meant that way, but people should think about what they say before they say it. I think the OP just wasn't thinking.

I know the poster didn't mean it in a harmful way. It is just that people use the word "******ed" so absentmindedly. Being mentally or physically handicapped is a serious thing...not to be taken lightly. Getting a low verbal reasoning score does not count as being ******ed. :(

Many mentally and physically challenged people are the sweetest, most compassionate loving human beings....and if you know any, they will light up your life, I'm sure of it. ;)

Alicia