Am I screwed guys?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dagyo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So, I believe I have everything else but the GPA...I'm the concertmaster at my school and I've had research experience (plus a publication soon) every summer since I started college...I'm also involved with volunteer work and am playing on a sports team here too...

Regarding MCAT, I got a 39...

But my worry is the GPA...see the problem is that it fluctuates so much...I'll do poorly fall semesters, and do decent spring semester...pretty much if you average spring semesters it will be a 3.65 but unfortunately my real gpa is 3.4 so far...I've also had some personal problems in the past which has contributed to my low gpa...I know that gpa matters a lot but do they also take into accound that I attend a certain school in teh northeast with a reputation for being hard on its students and producing low gpa's?

Anyways, the main question is should I be preparing to wait another year to apply or should I take my chances and try to apply to med school my senior year?

Members don't see this ad.

Going to a harder school does not excuse a low GPA of 3.4. Fortuantely, an MCAT of 39 will go a long way to redeem it, if it's coupled with 1.5 year of excellent GPA (at least an A-) to prove you can do the work in a science-intense med school environment. Are you in your junior year now? Can you deliver more consistent performance in the time before graduation? I'd say you could still apply this summer and see how it goes, but you'd have your choice of more selective schools if you improve your record first.

I think you will be fine if you do well this last year and get the overall GPA above a 3.5.

I mean u have a 39 MCAT. That is great!! It will cover some of the GPA.

Just make sure you have enough "clinical" volunteering.

Ideally, 3-4 hrs a week over several years. Sounds like you have the research element already.

I think you just need to finish strong to make sure you are safe. I still think with a 39 and 3.4 you can get in somewhere though.

Hi guys,

So, I believe I have everything else but the GPA...I'm the concertmaster at my school and I've had research experience (plus a publication soon) every summer since I started college...I'm also involved with volunteer work and am playing on a sports team here too...

Regarding MCAT, I got a 39...

But my worry is the GPA...see the problem is that it fluctuates so much...I'll do poorly fall semesters, and do decent spring semester...pretty much if you average spring semesters it will be a 3.65 but unfortunately my real gpa is 3.4 so far...I've also had some personal problems in the past which has contributed to my low gpa...I know that gpa matters a lot but do they also take into accound that I attend a certain school in teh northeast with a reputation for being hard on its students and producing low gpa's?

Anyways, the main question is should I be preparing to wait another year to apply or should I take my chances and try to apply to med school my senior year?

All your stats say is that you are brilliant but a bit on the lazy side with that GPA (someone who got a 39 should be able to pull 3.8+ with effort etc). Not saying you are lazy now but it is apparent you had a few rough semesters in the past.

I think you're fine as long as you don't plan on going top 10...who cares about that though.