1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I screwed with a board score USMLE 1 of 240?

Discussion in 'Dermatology' started by ocean11, Aug 3, 2006.

1. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks alot!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. thackl

thackl 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

For as long as you've been on here....... this post kills me :laugh:

As far as any of us would know, 240 is below the avg for derm, but would probably match you somewhere if you interview well?

4. porokeratosis

porokeratosis Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Congrats!!! 240 is an excellent USMLE Step 1 score for a Derm applicant. A USMLE score of 235 or higher is acceptable for most Derm programs. Furthermore, I recommend that you wait to take Step 2 after February of your 4th year of med school...which is after interview season...because you don't want to risk getting a lower score on Step 2 and it affecting your application.

Now you have to work on the rest of your Derm application package...such as achieving a strong ranking at your med school (top 15-20% or better), excellent letters of recommendation from dermatologists (I recommend at least 2 Derm faculty), and publishing something (eg. research, case reports, review papers, posters, etc). Good Luck :luck:

5. Daichi Katase

Daichi Katase Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

what is the average for derm? 250?

Serious question, I am curious.

6. porokeratosis

porokeratosis Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As for as I know, there is no published data available on average USMLE scores for Derm. From talking to Derm attendings and colleagues, USMLE scores are sometimes used as a filter on Derm residency applications. For example, let's say Derm Residency XYZ will only review applications with USMLE Step 1 scores 235 and above. Applicants with scores below 234 will NOT be reviewed at all...ever. Not all programs do this. But some programs do.

Please know that it takes more than great USMLE scores to get into Derm. Your USMLE scores are just a part of your Derm application package. The competition is fierce. You still need to do well academically at your med school (ideally, top 15-20% and AOA elected) and have great LOR's (hopefully from well-known dermatologists). Additionally, research and publications will help separate the "men from the boys" and "women from the girls". If a program likes what it sees, then it will offer you an interview.

I recommend applying widely (more than 60 programs) and pray. I'm serious, pay the $$$. It's worth it. That's what I did when I applied...I was very fortunate to be accepted into Derm.

7. p53

p53 ****** for F******
    10+ Year Member

Why don't you contact one of these people on this list.

http://www.dermboard.com/docs/2005-2006.htm

8. thackl

thackl 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

The avg matching out of my school over the past 5yrs is 248 for derm. Just for comparison, ortho was 227 and ophtho was 228. It's probably pretty close to the national avg.

9. Hard24Get

Hard24Get The black sleepymed
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    my school comes in around 242 for derm, 232 for derm/med, 242 for optho, and 244 for ortho (match rate 100% for all 4 fields)....

10. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the replies people! it is truly appreciated.... I think what porokeratosis said was right.... the whole package is important too! I think I better start doing some research as I have NO publications out yet.... ALTHOUGH.... I have done alot of cardiovascular research b/fo med school....

OH one more thing.... I was talking to some guy at the hospital I'm rotating at about Derm and board scores etc etc.... and he blurted out "Why would you want to go into Derm to practice Dermatology.... you could easily practice derm after an internal medicine residency + be able to do other things too...." I don't know if this is true or not, but he's the second person that told me this.... one thing is for sure... the residency during IM IS NOT going to be easy....

thanks again

11. porokeratosis

porokeratosis Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Your colleague is technically correct. But realistically, he is not.

With a medical license, you could practice Derm as a board-certified Internist or Family Practice (FP) doc. No one can stop you from doing that. But in the real world, who do you think patients would rather go to for skin problems? Would they rather go to a Dermatologist's office or an Internist's office or FP doc's office?

Also, most internists and FP docs do not know how to interpret dermatopathology results, do not get training in surgery techniques, and do not know how to treat complicated skin diseases. As a dermatologist, I'm trained to read skin pathology slides and trained to do minor surgeries with cosmetic appreciation of the final results. Also, when it comes to skin disease, I'm the expert "know it all" and the "buck stops with me".

12. thackl

thackl 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Those ophth and ortho #'s are definitely higher than national avg.

13. Hard24Get

Hard24Get The black sleepymed
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

My classmates are really smart :oops:

14. cdql

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ouch...242 as an average score?!

i'd give a kidney to reach that level!

15. porokeratosis

porokeratosis Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Here's proof that you're USMLE Step 1 score is good enough for Derm.

http://www.uicomp.uic.edu/Students/NRMP%20-%20Charting%20Outcomes%20in%20the%20Match.pdf

This study was done on the 2005 NRMP Match (just last year). For 2005, the average USMLE step 1 score for Derm was 233. Which makes your score of 240 ABOVE average :thumbup: . But the question now is: how's the rest of your application? If you notice, many of the successful Derm applicants graduated with honors (AOA), did research, and published something.

On a side note, this is the first study I've seen documenting the matching statistics for most medical specialties, including Derm (pg 22-24), Plastic Surgery, Rad Onc, etc. There is some great information in there.

16. bob sacamano

bob sacamano Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    don't misread the information though. the number you quoted (233) is the average step I score of derm APPLICANTS. the average score of those who matched, according to the graph at the beginning of the document, is about 239.