Am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papertowel55

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

Making a throwaway for more anonymity.

I might be in a bit of a sticky situation. The cycle is almost over, and I have been fortunate to be accepted places, but I just had a realization that I forgot to include a "course" from high school on my AMCAS.

The thing that is confusing is that it is not an actual course. Basically, in early high school I took a regular high school course and at the end of the course we took a test that could potentially earn us college credit at a nearby college. I did well enough on the test and the school gave me 3 credits of B, but these credits were not for any specific course at the college. This credit was never transferred to my actual undergrad. I looked at the AMCAS instruction manual and I do not think I needed to list the institution or the course anyway because I was never enrolled at the institution and never took a college course. But I am not sure. If anything, I think it might have counted as AP credit since it was a test and not a course.

Also, since AMCAS uses the Clearinghouse, I am thinking that since they did not tell me anything during verification then it was not an issue.

Am I in trouble? My AMCAS GPA was ~3.95 without this. I am not sure if I am overreacting and did not need to include this anyway, or if I should do something like contact the schools that have accepted me. Thanks for the help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine, relax. If you never enrolled/got a transcript with those credits on it then there is nothing you need to do. It's probably like getting a 5 on an AP but not getting any credits for it at your college - no need to report it.

You're fine, relax. If you never enrolled/got a transcript with those credits on it then there is nothing you need to do. It's probably like getting a 5 on an AP but not getting any credits for it at your college - no need to report it.

Thanks efle, I really hope so! I think if I asked for a transcript at that college they would have one, but since it is like an AP test and I never got credit towards any course/requirement for it then I think the same rules apply and I don't need to list it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I think I might have explained this poorly, but basically this college does have a transcript with the three credits of B, however I have never enrolled there nor taken a course there. The three credits of B are there just to say I got college credit for the test. I have not transferred the credits to my actual college, and so these credits have not been used to fulfill any graduation requirements or as a substitute for a course. Do you still think I'm okay? The more I think about it, the more I think maybe I should have listed them as AP credit or something.

I'm just paranoid that med schools are going to think I was trying to hide something from them.

Yeah I still think you're OK. I doubt anyone will bring this up and if they do it is easily explained/dismissed. Nobody is gonna rescind an acceptance because some random college you never attended credited you a B there for doing well on a test.

Yeah I still think you're OK. I doubt anyone will bring this up and if they do it is easily explained/dismissed. Nobody is gonna rescind an acceptance because some random college you never attended credited you a B there for doing well on a test.

I agree, thanks for your input! I had been searching through SDN forums and gotten paranoid after hearing how med students were kicked out after the school found out they had hid something or lied about something on their application.

It's a confusing situation and I want to make sure it'll be okay to not update schools about this.

Last edited:
bumping to try to get an adcom perspective on this! Sorry for the bumps.

Another pity bump, really would like an adcom perspective on my situation. Thanks!

After scrolling through SDN for several months I've noticed this issue come up very often. As long as you did well in whatever course I would say you are fine because your testimony that it was a mistake is likely to be true if you did well.

After scrolling through SDN for several months I've noticed this issue come up very often. As long as you did well in whatever course I would say you are fine because your testimony that it was a mistake is likely to be true if you did well.

That's true. It was a B which is definitely much better than if I had gotten an F or something, but it would still hurt my GPA of ~3.95, so not exactly sure what that would mean to adcoms if they found out I hadn't included it and deemed that I should have needed to include it.

You could always call AMCAS and ask

I got in touch with them and they said I would probably have to include the credit but that it would be listed as AP. Therefore it wouldn't have influenced my GPA at all which is good! Do you think it's worth updating schools about it then or just leave it and see if they bring it up later?

I got in touch with them and they said I would probably have to include the credit but that it would be listed as AP. Therefore it wouldn't have influenced my GPA at all which is good! Do you think it's worth updating schools about it then or just leave it and see if they bring it up later?
Just leave it, they def wouldn't care enough about an AP you'd forgotten to warrant an update. Glad it is worked out!

Reactions: 1 user