Am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HueySmith

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting close to the end of second year and haven't been able to publish anything or present any posters. Am I screwed from matching any moderately competitive specialties?

Members don't see this ad.

You still have two more years.

This is not true because apps for ERAS/SF Match should be submitted early on in 4th year. So realistically, you have 1 year or maybe a few months more than that. Larger projects that are more impressive may be difficult to accomplish.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess the real question is: what do you wanna do? Whether or not you need good research is contingent on the specialty you pursue and the strength of the rest of your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Third year is pretty easy to get case reports and posters. You just have to decide that you'll write the unique cases up when they come your way and not just sit on it.
In my experience it's not as easy as people* think. Even if you find a case, getting it published and approve willing to pay for publication are problems. Don't bank on this. Instead figure out if you can do a research rotation and hope your project doesn't die

Last edited:
ACGME scholarly requirement mandates that each resident gets at least 1 case report/poster done every year. Just ask the residents what they have and offer to write it up. Our hospital has been more than happy to cover all the expenses as long as a resident submits the request.

If the hospital wasnt paying, we would be screwed. I know my school would laugh me out of the room if I asked.
Maybe if you're always rotating in a service with residents, but I had many rotations without residents and private preceptors rarely wish to pay a single dime.