Am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adifjaisd4530539

Reaction score
Hey SDN gurus

1.5 year ago I took the MCAT and got a 514. I know it is a pretty good score but I felt like I underachieved and let myself down as I only studied for a limited amount of time. Thus, I more courses and studied again. My practice test courses were much higher and I felt confident heading into the test. However, during my test day there were quite a bit of unusual circumstances and I underperformed and got only a two point improvement and a 516. I was aiming and rather confident I could have gotten a 518+ so this was definitely a letdown. I never looked at this forum until a few days ago and I wish I did earlier. I never knew that it is damaging and potentially lethal to retake the MCAT like I just did.

I would really appreciate if you guys could honestly let me know if my MD chances have been ruined and if there is a glimmer of hope what schools I should bother applying to. I know that @Faha, @Goro, and @gyngyn seem to be the verified experts here looking at past posts so I would really appreciate it if you guys could chime in if possible.

MCAT: 1st attempt= 514, 2nd attempt= 516
GPA: 3.88
Clinical: 400+ hours of quality experience
Volunteering: 800+ hours of various volunteering organizations
Shadowing: 150 hours total with three specialties
Leadership: Executive Board for 3 organization
State: CA
Race: Caucasian

Members don't see this ad.

You are fine for plenty of places (and there is nothing to be done about it now). It's not lethal in your case, just goofy.
Where's your list?
Hey @gyngyn

Thanks for responding!

So far my preliminary list is:

All UC's
USC
Einstein
Jefferson
Tulane
George Washington
Georgetown
Albany
New York Medical College
Duke
Miami
Tufts
Hofstra

That is what I have so far but I am not sure if I am aiming too high or low. Also, I have heard that some schools will look down upon me for my second attempt so should I am for more low tier schools and just take all of the California schools off of my list?

Members don't see this ad :)
You could a few more schools such as:
Boston University
Vermont
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Virginia Commonwealth
Western Michigan
St Louis
Kaiser
California University

Hey SDN gurus

1.5 year ago I took the MCAT and got a 514. I know it is a pretty good score but I felt like I underachieved and let myself down as I only studied for a limited amount of time. Thus, I more courses and studied again. My practice test courses were much higher and I felt confident heading into the test. However, during my test day there were quite a bit of unusual circumstances and I underperformed and got only a two point improvement and a 516. I was aiming and rather confident I could have gotten a 518+ so this was definitely a letdown. I never looked at this forum until a few days ago and I wish I did earlier. I never knew that it is damaging and potentially lethal to retake the MCAT like I just did.

I would really appreciate if you guys could honestly let me know if my MD chances have been ruined and if there is a glimmer of hope what schools I should bother applying to. I know that @Faha, @Goro, and @gyngyn seem to be the verified experts here looking at past posts so I would really appreciate it if you guys could chime in if possible.

MCAT: 1st attempt= 514, 2nd attempt= 516
GPA: 3.88
Clinical: 400+ hours of quality experience
Volunteering: 800+ hours of various volunteering organizations
Shadowing: 150 hours total with three specialties
Leadership: Executive Board for 3 organization
State: CA
Race: Caucasian
You'll be fine, but we Faculty are leery of people with the mindset of : I know it is a pretty good score but I felt like I underachieved

We don't like perfectionists. They try to learn everything and end up learning nothing, and then are in our offices bitching about how their 94 should actually be a 95. Usually trying to apply some math that actually warps space-time.

Reactions: 1 users