SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Am I screwed

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by jimjones, Jul 25, 2001.

1. jimjones

jimjones Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Got a letter from AACOMAS, saying they found a discrepancy with my submitted application. I failed a couple classes in my freshman year, and was automatically placed under academic probation. I forgot to declare this on the aacomas online... must have overlooked it. And now all the adcoms will see the letter.... Am I done or am I being paranoid?? :eek:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000
    I may look like you were trying to hide something, and that could work against you.

If it was simply an oversight on your part because you misread a question on the application, then you should be OK.

Just be sure you can explain the situation if needed.

Good Luck

btw...when did you send your online AACOMAS application?

4. jimjones

Feb 27, 2001
    Actually i sent it late may, they are taking a long time! I was able to respond with a letter explaining that it was an oversite, which will be included with the letter to the adcoms.

5. muonwhiz

muonwhiz Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 6, 2001
    If your letter is going to be included with all of your applications, then you should be okay. Just be sure to have a convincing answer if you are asked about it on your interviews! Good luck

6. JJKMS

JJKMS Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Yeah, you may have just written your own ticket. What do you mean, you kind of forgot that you were on academic probation? That's kind of like forgetting to put on shoes when you have to walk in the snow.

Are you going to "forget" that a patient needs his right kidney removed and not his liver?

There are way more applicants out there than seats in a lecture room. You better get on your knees and put your nose somewhere... :confused:

Being a Canuk doesn't help either... (just kidding)

7. Wasabi

Wasabi Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Chicago, Illinois
    As long as you make the correction, everything should be fine. The only thing that will hurt you is that your application will be delayed and you may have to wait longer for secondaries and interviews.

8. machupichu

machupichu Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hi,

Are you from canada trying to get into an american school? did you take the failed classes at another school and didn't declare it? Or does it all appear on your transcript and you didn't say anything? HOw did they find out about your F's? That's a stake in the heart isn't it? Since you failed the classes in your freshman you perhaps can say that you were so focused on the current grades that you...??? blanked ???

but on a lighter note, there have been people who failed classes and still gotten in (so i've read on this board)

good luck. let us know.

9. jimjones

Feb 27, 2001
    Actually what happened is I failed 2 classes in 1994. I was placed on acedemic probation because my gpa was below a certain amount. I was still allowed to re-register, but didn't. when I went back to college in '97 my marks were way better, and have been since. I declared all my marks and transcripts to AACOMAS, but simply misread the question about declaring institutional action (probably glanced at it and thought it meant cheating) and said no. Thats what it is all about.
    I did fail 2 classes but it was a long time ago. I don't think schools will pay to much attention to the incident, I think they'll understand that it was an honest mistake. What do you guys think?