am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cookyjar

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was going to sign up for may 30 mcat but the state I live in is entirely filled up :(:( Do seats open up at all? Is it almost impossible to get a seat if it's filled up? I live in FL btw.

Members don't see this ad.

Some seats will probably open up closer to the exam date as people realize they need to push their date back, but that would require you to be constantly checking to see if there's an opening. It's not something you should plan to do.

Many people every year have to travel, even out of state, to take the MCAT. Check to see if any nearby towns/cities are offering it on that date. Alternatively, you could sign up for an earlier or later date, just to secure yourself a date, and then keep checking May 30 to see if there is an opening, and you can pay a fee and switch.

So I was going to sign up for may 30 mcat but the state I live in is entirely filled up :(:( Do seats open up at all? Is it almost impossible to get a seat if it's filled up? I live in FL btw.

don't worry plenty of people switch dates before the exam, just keep on checking every so often and a seat will pop up.

Should I sign up for a seat in GA on may 30 and then keep checking for a seat in FL?

I really don't want to sign up for anything earlier than May and all the seats for May in FL are filled up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I sign up for a seat in GA on may 30 and then keep checking for a seat in FL?

I really don't want to sign up for anything earlier than May and all the seats for May in FL are filled up.

That sounds like a plan, but it is very likely that a seat will open up about a month or two before the test date. Like Ismet said though, a lot of people have to travel long distances if they sign up late. Personally, I had to drive from SoCal to NorCal to take my test.

Don't worry, you're certainly not screwed. Keep checking the website frequently as many people do drop out of our MCAT date, leading to openings. About two months before my test, I first also had to select an out-of-state site, but after a few days I was able to find and select an opening at a site near my home. So keep an eye on the website.

When I took it, I had to travel because all of the seats in the nearest city filled up so quickly.

Actually, I think the travelling helped. I got a hotel room near the test site and stayed overnight. Going away for the test helped me clear my mind and get my head in the game. Annoying to have to pay extra for the hotel and such, but just thought I'd point out the bright side :)

I had to travel 300 miles for the MCAT the first time. I was late signing up for it and traveling that far definitely wasn't something that helped me. The second time I took it, I signed up on the first day the dates opened up. Got to take the MCAT 7 miles away from me, which was much nicer.

Also, make sure you read the rules about what you can bring and what you have to bring. Someone made a 600+ mile trip that same day and forgot to bring their passport (what they needed since they were not from the US but were currently living in the US for school). The kind people at the testing center turned him away telling him hopefully he could get the passport in the next hour. That was impossible, of course, so the guy couldn't take the test. Sucks to be him, but they plainly state what you need for the test.

Wow, I must've been super lucky. I literally walked 5 minutes to my testing center, and it was barely filled. Perks of living in a metropolis I suppose.

I can't even register :( It says there is an error and to call them. I've tried 2 different computers and two different browsers to it must be my account. I got the same error in Nov too but then got so busy forgot to try again till now. Is this because I voided the first time? :mad:

I had to travel 300 miles for the MCAT the first time. I was late signing up for it and traveling that far definitely wasn't something that helped me. The second time I took it, I signed up on the first day the dates opened up. Got to take the MCAT 7 miles away from me, which was much nicer.

Also, make sure you read the rules about what you can bring and what you have to bring. Someone made a 600+ mile trip that same day and forgot to bring their passport (what they needed since they were not from the US but were currently living in the US for school). The kind people at the testing center turned him away telling him hopefully he could get the passport in the next hour. That was impossible, of course, so the guy couldn't take the test. Sucks to be him, but they plainly state what you need for the test.

lol...i'll just put that on my checklist

Bring to the MCAT:
- passport
- driver' license
- long form birth certificate
- college ID
- DNA sample
- picture holding up a newspaper with today's date
- 3 character witnesses
- medical records
- any medical staff present at my birth

:laugh:

but seriously that sucks though..

Haven't the middle of the year dates not even opened yet? Chances are you can get one within the first week of June.

Haven't the middle of the year dates not even opened yet? Chances are you can get one within the first week of June.

No, not yet.

To OP I am also from FL.

I thinking you live in S.FL because I saw plenty of spots open in N.FL.

Maybe go to N.FL to take the test abt a 4-5 hr drive go the day before and stay in a hotel
OR
Be like me and wait for the June 20 MCAT date to open and hope we get a spot.