Am I setting myself up for failure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karicean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an 18-year-old soon to be college sophmore with a major in Biotechnology. But because I did not recieve enough credit hours to officially classify myself as a sophomore, I have to take 4 credits in the summer and decided to take microbiology. Along with working part-time at Subway (15-25 hours max per week). However, I would also like to volunteer at my local hospital (4-8 hours per week) this summer and I just feel like this would be a little overwhelming.

Only because I am a perfectionist at heart with a 4.0 GPA and I can only prioritize one thing at one time. That is why I only work in the summers. So how would I juggle all of this and still try to get an A in an 8 week class?? Should I just not volunteer? My summer class is Tues/Wens/Thurs and for four hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am an 18-year-old soon to be college sophmore with a major in Biotechnology. But because I did not recieve enough credit hours to officially classify myself as a sophomore, I have to take 4 credits in the summer and chose to take microbiology. Along with working part-time at Subway (15-25 hours max per week). However, I would also like to volunteer at my local hospital (4-8 hours per week) this summer and I just feel like this would be a little overwhelming.

Only because I am a perfectionist at heart with a 4.0 GPA and I can only prioritize one thing at one time. That is why I only work in the summers. So how would I juggle all of this and still try to get an A in an 8 week class?? Should I just not volunteer? My summer class is Tues/Wens/Thurs and for four hours.

Volunteer like once a week for a couple hours? I think it is manageable. You can be a perfectionist all you want but you also need to learn time management.

Reactions: 3 users
I am an 18-year-old soon to be college sophmore with a major in Biotechnology. But because I did not recieve enough credit hours to officially classify myself as a sophomore, I have to take 4 credits in the summer and chose to take microbiology. Along with working part-time at Subway (15-25 hours max per week). However, I would also like to volunteer at my local hospital (4-8 hours per week) this summer and I just feel like this would be a little overwhelming.

Volunteering can be minimal while you finish the class as long as by the time you apply you have acquired a significant amount of hours and learned something from the experience. On the AAMCAS application, they only ask you to list the start and finish dates of each of your extracurricular experiences and the total hours spent there. You have at least 2-3 more years before you apply. Relax and do well in microbiology.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just volunteer 2-4 hrs a week instead. You have plenty of time to get hrs and your GPA is critical at this point.

I am an 18-year-old soon to be college sophmore with a major in Biotechnology. But because I did not recieve enough credit hours to officially classify myself as a sophomore, I have to take 4 credits in the summer and decided to take microbiology. Along with working part-time at Subway (15-25 hours max per week). However, I would also like to volunteer at my local hospital (4-8 hours per week) this summer and I just feel like this would be a little overwhelming.

??? You should figure this out. Not to sound completely rude, but it's only going to get tougher from here on out. Being able to prioritize multiple high-level tasks is undoubtedly one of the more important tasks you can hone in on.

Reactions: 1 users
I always tell myself I don't have time for anything else, until I take on something else, and the world doesn't fall apart =). Just gradually add some volunteering or whatever else you need to do for a few hours/week and go from there. Over a few years the time will build.

If you think you don't have 3-4 hours/week and you're only working 15-20 hours you're just being lazy. I am working 40 hrs/week with 6 classes and I volunteer at several places for about 5-6 hours/week. Is it hard and do you have to make sacrifices? of course. But I am still able to relax, decompress, hang out with friends, etc.

Add up all of your time browsing, watching tv, internet/video games, friends, reading etc. the time is usually always there. The problem is usually that we aren't prioritizing something, rather than not having time; you're simply prioritizing other things.

Last edited:
See how it goes. Cut back if you need. Focus on grades first then add things in. You should be able to handle more than one thing at a time. If it's just 4 credits tho, could you just add them to another semester and have you're summer free?

Successful medical school candidates have to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

You are definitely setting yourself up for rejection if you don't learn how to be successful at time mgt and don't lose the perfectionist attitude.

Non-trad here. Your time constraints are funny. Working 40+ hours/week, 7 month old at home, volunteer 8 hours/week, and taking 11 credits. Will be taking statistics over the summer--probably less rigorous than microbiology but will still require studying.

Let's hope you don't have more than one patient if you become a doctor. :rofl:

Reactions: 1 users