Am I smart or is my school dumb?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maali

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently attending a community college in Skokie Illinois. It's one of the best community colleges in the area. I'm taking Bio 1 w/lab, Comp 1, Psychology 1 and a math class. My grade in biology is 103% due to almost perfect exam scores and one extra credit quiz. I also have a 100% in psychology and an A in English as well as math. Since I'm doing very well and I'm beginning to doubt either my school or me. My classmates in biology are struggling and that comforts me to know that the material is rigorous. I'm not trying to gloat but I want to know if I'm just really good in sciences or my college is too easy. I don't want to be fooled and have my classes be to easy as this will not train me well for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you considered transferring to a 4-year university?

I'm currently attending a community college in Skokie Illinois. It's one of the best community colleges in the area. I'm taking Bio 1 w/lab, Comp 1, Psychology 1 and a math class. My grade in biology is 103% due to almost perfect exam scores and one extra credit quiz. I also have a 100% in psychology and an A in English as well as math. Since I'm doing very well and I'm beginning to doubt either my school or me. My classmates in biology are struggling and that comforts me to know that the material is rigorous. I'm not trying to gloat but I want to know if I'm just really good in sciences or my college is too easy. I don't want to be fooled and have my classes be to easy as this will not train me well for the MCAT.

Imo, it's both; you are smart and the college is easy. I don't think your classmates are a good indication of rigor. That being said, if I were you, I'd transfer to a university whenever finances/circumstances allow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Transfer to some university and you will see.

Getting good grades has almost nothing to do with being smart. You knew the material beforehand and/or had a better foundation of learning, or you're studying harder than your peers. That's it.

This is coming from a person who has done very well in regards to GPA and MCAT. If someone studies more/better than you, they're going to score higher than you.

Besides, take some credit. If you're attributing your success to things that you had no control over, where is the satisfaction? Be proud of your grades. You're doing well!

Year 1 classes tend to be intro classes so theyre easy. Year 2 is when you have ochem and other weed outs. Keep up the good work mate! Transfer to a 4 year when you can.

Year 1 classes tend to be intro classes so theyre easy. Year 2 is when you have ochem and other weed outs. Keep up the good work mate! Transfer to a 4 year when you can.
I respectfully disagree with this. In my experience, the 'intro' classes (intro bio, gen chem, etc; even pre-organic chemistry) were extremely competitive at my school, and were often the toughest classes.

Not saying this is true everywhere, just don't be lax because they're intro courses.

As someone who has transferred from one 4 year university to another university that would be considered much higher ranked (if you agree with USNews), some courses are definitely on another level where I am now.

So sometimes the schools do matter. Though that's only my experience, and I am not saying that the courses you are taking now are not rigorous. But even if they are less difficult, getting 100%+ in a course is a feat in itself and still isn't easy in my opinion.

Although there is a trend between intelligence and excelling in course work, there is no firm correlation that excelling in course work conclusively establishes someone as being intelligent.

Most classes in college (CC or University) these days are professor-dependent on how rigorous they are. I took some science classes at a CC that are hard. On the other hand, I took some science classes at a public university that are easy...

I was actually in your situation.

I was at a community college and with some effort, I was getting high marks/good grades.

I transferred and currently attend a large public university, I am busting my ass for better marks, it helps that my classmates are very smart and driven as that motivates me to study and put myself on their level or aim higher.

Last edited:

Last edited:

Saying that you're the smartest in a community college doesn't mean anything. Transfer to a 4-year college and see if you can handle the courseload.

A) Take an IQ test, depending on how much you know/care about IQ as a psychometric.

B) Transfer to a university with competitive entering student stats.

C) Take the MCAT.

Pick one or more.

this doesn't mean anything either.... are you gonna try and say there aren't easy 4-year schools?