Am I solely responsible for paying my own and my ex-spouses student loan debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaVill8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys

I live in Michigan me and my spouse accrued student loans during our 16 years of marriage, I have in my name $111,000.00 of my own student load debt, she has in her name $109,000 of her own student load debt, neither one of us are co-signers on the others student loans.

Now she filed for divorce August of 2018 and now wants me to pay half of her student loan debt by taking my half of the martial homes equity in order to pay off her half of the student loan debt. The martial home is in my name only, on both the title and deed of the home.

Both of us have used portion of student loan disbursements toward our martial living expenses.

Early January 2018 I was advised by my lawyer to signed paperwork to start the quick claim deed process. Two weeks after that was done, she began stating that my portion of equity should pay for half of her student loans.

I now realizes that I shouldn’t have listen to my lawyers advise to do the quick claim deed. The martial home is the only asset that I have, will I be held liable for her student loan debt as well as my own?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Guys

I live in Michigan me and my spouse accrued student loans during our 16 years of marriage, I have in my name $111,000.00 of my own student load debt, she has in her name $109,000 of her own student load debt, neither one of us are co-signers on the others student loans.

Now she filed for divorce August of 2018 and now wants me to pay half of her student loan debt by taking my half of the martial homes equity in order to pay off her half of the student loan debt. The martial home is in my name only, on both the title and deed of the home.

Both of us have used portion of student loan disbursements toward our martial living expenses.

Early January 2018 I was advised by my lawyer to signed paperwork to start the quick claim deed process. Two weeks after that was done, she began stating that my portion of equity should pay for half of her student loans.

I now realizes that I shouldn’t have listen to my lawyers advise to do the quick claim deed. The martial home is the only asset that I have, will I be held liable for her student loan debt as well as my own?
This is an excellent question for your lawyer. It's highly unlikely that you're liable for her loan debt explicitly, but it is entirely possible you owe her half of your assets in general or some proportion moving forward. I doubt any of us know the ins and outs of Michigan divorce laws and I know that none of us know the total financial situation of you and your (soon to be former) spouse.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Guys

Should have listened to him before. Def should listen to him now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on whether Michigan is a community state. If it is, everything acquired during marriage is split down the middle. As in assets and debts. So if you are responsible for her half of debt then she’s also responsible for your half. And the assets split evenly as well no matter who’s on the deed if it was the marital home.

Ask me how I know. Best to sort it out with Lawyer.

Divorce court can't remove or add you name to any debt, but the divorce decree can make you be held in contempt of court for not following judge's orders.

Talk to your lawyer.