Am I still in good shape for MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jvqd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey friends,
First post ever. I am wrapping up my second year down in Austin with a GPA of only 3.05. My science GPA is in the neighborhood of 3.4-3.5 because I am a loser and I love CBMP. :cool: I am expecting to pull 4.0's from here on out though. I have yet to take the MCAT because I am picking up a second major and planning on five years in undergrad. I didn't do so well this semester because of a killer course load and an EMTB course. I am planning on becoming a paramedic eventually.

So, question is: am i still in good shape for MD school? Even though I am still left three years to raise my GPA, I have a ton of hours already and will need lots of As to raise my GPA. I'm shooting for only a 3.4 and hoping that is competitive enough (I hear that it is in Texas). Is 3.4 OK? Will becoming a paramedic help my application? I have seen a bit on the field and I feel that it will be helpful but I am not sure.

Last thing, I have heard a lot about post-bacc and SMP. Could anyone please send me some information on them?

Thanks a lot for the help :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Considering how incredibly competitive med school is becoming in recent years, I would not be content to apply with a 3.4 in 2-3 years. Aim higher. Or get a fantastic MCAT score. You can access detailed info on post-bacs and SMPs in the Post-baccalaureate Forum of SDN.

Being certified as an EMT will only help you if you use it in a paid or volunteer postiion, and if so, it will provide you with great clinical experience.

You'll be fine. Just keep an upward trend and do well on the MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be appropriate for me to just take random science classes to boost my two GPAs? Or can I just take any classes to boost my cGPA?

Your BCPM is acceptable. Work on the overall cumulative GPA. But if you love math and science, take that if it's easier to get good grades, because a higher BCPM GPA can help you out.

I think it's good that you are realistic enough to know you need to stay in college an extra year. Keep getting As, even if you need a smaller course load to do it.

We couldn't comment on you being in good shape for MD school without knowing your ECs...that said, EMT experience is not hugely beneficial when done as a later effort to gain clinical experience -- this time would probably be better spent in a substantial clinical shadowing/volunteer/research experience. Staying an extra year in undergrad will be very beneficial towards you: as Mobius said, it is getting increasingly competitive and you'd be hardpressed to get an allopathic acceptance with a 3.4 unless you had a stellar MCAT score and GPA.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot guys. I am generally a good standardized test taker so I think I'll be fine. I've volunteered at the hospital for a semester and was a tutor for underprivileged children. I'm giving up volunteering to get an actual job at the hospital. I have not started shadowing yet because of the course load. I will be starting that this summer. I have a ton of clinical hours from high school but am not sure if any of those would count. I'm hoping that the job in the hospital and later, becoming a paramedic will be good EC's. My friends and I are also going to cycle to Alaska to raise money for cancer. Does that count as EC as well? I thought my EC's were fine but after reading some other people's stats on the forum, I feel that they might be insignificant.

I am also not interested in getting into the most competitive MD schools. I plan on applying to all the MD schools in Texas. Are there any other schools I should consider? As in schools that have a high OOS admission rate.

I have a ton of clinical hours from high school but am not sure if any of those would count.

I'm hoping that the job in the hospital and later, becoming a paramedic will be good EC's. My friends and I are also going to cycle to Alaska to raise money for cancer. Does that count as EC as well?
You're correct that you can't list HS activities generally, but you can mention it in your Personal Statement. Or, if you did the same activity in the college years, you can include it in the Experiences section under that circumstance.

Your planned clinical job activities sound very good. Definitely mention the bike ride to fund cancer research.

It's premature to discuss school choice without knowing your application GPA and MCAT score.