Am I supposed to send thank you notes after my interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yalla22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are we supposed to send these? If so, to who? The doctors that interviewed us? Also, do you normally keep these short and standard or do you make them longer and more personal. Lastly, should this be on a card or should it be a letter in an envelope?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you should write anyone a thank you note that does a favor for you. Write the note for your interviewer. Keep it short and say what you liked about the school and thanking them for the interview. You can put it on a thank you card and into an envelope.

Are we supposed to send these? If so, to who? The doctors that interviewed us? Also, do you normally keep these short and standard or do you make them longer and more personal. Lastly, should this be on a card or should it be a letter in an envelope?

Thanks!

Not necessary! I didnt send any and have been accepted to all the interviews i have been on. I dont think the doctor will really care if they get one. I mean a card from a no-name premed, who cares!:sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
Not necessary! I didnt send any and have been accepted to all the interviews i have been on. I dont think the doctor will really care if they get one. I mean a card from a no-name premed, who cares!:sleep:

Agreed-- interviewers don't give two s**ts if they get a thank you card or not.

Thanks!

"Supposed to"? If you do a search, you will see that this question has already come up multiple times this cycle, and every cycle previously.

It's a matter of manners/convention. The proper ettiquette is to send them. It won't affect your chances and there are no written rules. It doesn't really matter whether it is a card or letter, it's just a matter of politeness. They probably won't get read, and certainly won't swing your decision one way or the other. But it is good manners.

"Supposed to"? If you do a search, you will see that this question has already come up multiple times this cycle, and every cycle previously.

It's a matter of manners/convention. The proper ettiquette is to send them. It won't affect your chances and there are no written rules. It doesn't really matter whether it is a card or letter, it's just a matter of politeness. They probably won't get read, and certainly won't swing your decision one way or the other. But it is good manners.

Just curious why you think that they won't get read? I always make sure to read mine, and I assumed that most other people would do the same (but could definitely be wrong about that).

Thanks!

You are not required to send it, but it would be nice. I always sent one to the admissions office.

I think a lot of interviewers probably prefer not to receive thank you notes and probably won't even read the ones they get. At Emory, for instance, they specifically told us not to send them. I'm sure it probably won't matter one way or the other at most schools though. Send them if you think you should.

You are not required to send it, but it would be nice. I always sent one to the admissions office.
I think it is in general good manners to send a note. However, if you are going to go to the trouble of sending one, I think you might as well send one to each of your interviewers, not just the admission office. If you send it just to the office, only the secretary will read it.

I think a lot of interviewers probably prefer not to receive thank you notes and probably won't even read the ones they get. At Emory, for instance, they specifically told us not to send them. I'm sure it probably won't matter one way or the other at most schools though. Send them if you think you should.
As I said before, I think it is polite. If someone tells you not to send a thank you note, don't send one, but I wouldn't assume that thank you cards are a bad idea based on one school's idiosyncracies. Other interviewers at my school and I appreciate them, and will often note it in an applicant's file when we receive one. I don't think it makes or breaks your chances, but in addition to being nice, it also suggests professionalism and interest in the school.

I actually think it depends on the school. Some schools make it clear that they don't want them, and that's fine. But if you're not specifically told NOT to send one, I think you should. When I interviewed at Penn State, they went out of their way to make sure I knew how to send a thank you note to each of my interviewers, and that I knew the notes would then be added to my file.

Send them. Be nice.

Just curious why you think that they won't get read? I always make sure to read mine, and I assumed that most other people would do the same (but could definitely be wrong about that).

When I used to get thank you notes for professional position interviews, I gave them a glance but didn't read them in any detail. Basically a "how nice" and then discard. Time was money then. But it certainly is the etiquette.

don't do it. nothing really can help you, and if something goes wrong can actually hurt you (i don't know what could go wrong - possibly getting a paper cut on the card?). if you get in, then send a thank you card, or do it in person.

True, but they do deserve some "thank you" note, right?

Normally, when ppl reject a gift or something from me, they are being polite (especially the Asian folks, no offense). at least this is how i see it; therefore, i give them something anyway. :D haha. I don't know about your situation though. Okay, i'll stop babbling...

Members don't see this ad :)

Normally, when ppl reject a gift or something from me, they are being polite (especially the Asian folks, no offense). at least this is how i see it; therefore, i give them something anyway. :D

no they do not deserve anything. Most are doing the interview to make sure that the school admits onyl "their" kind of people.

WOW. What would they do if they werent being polite, throw it at you?:sleep:

no they do not deserve anything. Most are doing the interview to make sure that the school admits onyl "their" kind of people.

WOW. What would they do if they werent being polite, throw it at you?:sleep:
oh, i see.

No; don't send.

I think these thank you notes are totally the wrong idea. You should send hate mail instead-it'll show that you have original thinking.

Normally, when ppl reject a gift or something from me, they are being polite (especially the Asian folks, no offense). at least this is how i see it; therefore, i give them something anyway. :D haha. I don't know about your situation though. Okay, i'll stop babbling...

It is customary to not accept a gift when it is first offered. This is often misread.

I send them if the interviewer specifically gives me their card without my asking for it. Something along the lines of, "XXXX, if you have any questions, here's my card. . . let me know, I'd love to help you out or answer any questions you may have..."

Interviewers aren't required to do that, so if they offer to answer any further questions I have, I usually respond with a general thank-you note.

I don't think it helps your chances to send one or hurts your chances if you don't, it's just a matter of etiquette.

i typically send e-mails because its easier and faster. also, i know for a fact that the prof will get my note (unless it bounces). from the looks of things, I should be switching to snail mail?

I've served on several selection committees at numerous stages in my career. While thank you cards are nice, they do not do much for the applicant.

Doing something for the applicant is really not the point. You don't have good manners because it gets you things. You do it because that's the kind of person you are or strive to be.

what if i got accepted to a school but I absolutely hated my interviewers...then what do i send??? =)

what if i got accepted to a school but I absolutely hated my interviewers...then what do i send??? =)

Nothing. They probably hated you too, and probably told the rest of adcoms NOT to accept you. That being said it is clear that the rest of the adcoms loved you, so send your interviewer a note saying "nice try to reject me A@@hole, But i got in":sleep:

Nothing. They probably hated you too, and probably told the rest of adcoms NOT to accept you. That being said it is clear that the rest of the adcoms loved you, so send your interviewer a note saying "nice try to reject me A@@hole, But i got in":sleep:

hahahahahaha...hilarious...i should do it to since im not gonna go there anyway!...maybe just a tad tasteless though...damn

i got into the schools i didn't write letters to and vice versa

I think we've all basically agreed that thank yous do not affect your admission chances in any way but it's generally considered the polite thing to do.

I think we've all basically agreed that thank yous do not affect your admission chances in any way but it's generally considered the polite thing to do.

Actually its the rude thing to do. You know the doctor could care less, but you waste his valuable time by sending him one and causing him to see one less patient that day to open your letter.

Send him one if you do not care that you will have denied acess to a patient, hopefully a non emergency one.:sleep:

Actually its the rude thing to do. You know the doctor could care less, but you waste his valuable time by sending him one and causing him to see one less patient that day to open your letter.

Send him one if you do not care that you will have denied acess to a patient, hopefully a non emergency one.:sleep:

Are you kidding? I doubt anyone whose time is that precious would be interviewing applicants in the first place.

finally someone said it. Plus it's good practice for your future. It might not matter for med school but you bet your ass it'll matter when you interview for a job later on . . .

I know you are supposed to send thank you letters in the mail, but the AdComm at CCLCM meets 1 week after the interview. Also, both of my interviewers offered me their cards and invited me to contact them if I had any questions. So I have opted to email them, time being of the essence. I found this:

http://www.careerjournal.com/columnists/qanda/interviewing/20000101-qandainterviewing-q0028.html

Its from the Wall Street journal. They basically said (for companies) if their primary mode of contacting you was through email, then it should be fine to send your thank you note as an email. I assume this would be ok with a med school. Just make sure it is a sincere and individualized note. And put "Interview Follow-Up" in the title. I think the article is worth reading.

Good luck to all of you applicants out there! I'm off to UCSF on Wednesday to try my luck! :)

you could also fedex some homebaked cookies. :)

Are you kidding? I doubt anyone whose time is that precious would be interviewing applicants in the first place.

lol, seriously...nobody would ever be offended by people mailing them thank you notes. Worst case, you just don't open your thank you notes until you go on vacation or something. Then on the plane you read them all and feel all nice about yourself.

Seriously, what kinda sociopath would get angry at people sending them thank you notes.

Thank you notes actually will carry some sway when interviewing for residency positions later on. So might as well get into the habit now.