Am I the only jerk who DIDN'T get a scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TomWestmanRules

MD Supplicant
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously now. All I see on here anymore are people debating whether to go to a school that gave them $20k/yr scholarship, vs. a "better" school that gave them $19k/yr scholarship. Where the he11 are you people getting these offers from? I read over and over and over again that med schools pretty much NEVER give any sort of scholarships out, particularly to incoming M1's.

Makes me think I'm the only one paying full-price for this stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously now. All I see on here anymore are people debating whether to go to a school that gave them $20k/yr scholarship, vs. a "better" school that gave them $19k/yr scholarship. Where the he11 are you people getting these offers from? I read over and over and over again that med schools pretty much NEVER give any sort of scholarships out, particularly to incoming M1's.

Makes me think I'm the only one paying full-price for this stuff.

Have no fear -- you're not the only one without a scholarship. I'm definitely going to be paying back loans for a while after I graduate...

I know that a lot of other people are in the same boat as us...

mdapp06

Have no fear -- you're not the only one without a scholarship. I'm definitely going to be paying back loans for a while after I graduate...

I know that a lot of other people are in the same boat as us...

mdapp06

Ditto. No $ for me. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
same here man, but I am happy to see some people get money I feel they worked a lot harder than I did. And just for your information there is a lot more then a high mcat or gpa that is needed for that full ride I am walking proof for that.

i'm putting $66,000 a year on my tab to be at NYMC offcampus in a combined degree program. no scholarships, no perkins loans.

i'm putting $66,000 a year on my tab to be at NYMC offcampus in a combined degree program. no scholarships, no perkins loans.

Thank you! You made me feel a lot better. I got my "fin aid" a couple days ago and have been depressed over the 66,000 I have to take out for year 1. It's so daunting. But oh well. I knew what I was getting myself into (kinda:oops: )

No....others of us didn't even get in......

it also really seems like everyone on sdn got above a 35 mcat score :rolleyes: :)

you have to realize that the pre-meds on sdn are not representative of the whole population of pre-meds, so when you see most students on here with a 35 Mcat or lots of scholarship money, it doesn't mean ALL pre-meds are getting that.

You must have said something wrong during your interview. I have 3 offers for full rides and I haven't even been accepted yet.

I'm a traditonal student with average grades, MCAT score, ECs, etc andd I have $0 in scholarships. I'm pretty sure you have to be either insanely spectacular or really really poor to get free money.

I'm a traditonal student with average grades, MCAT score, ECs, etc andd I have $0 in scholarships. I'm pretty sure you have to be either insanely spectacular or really really poor to get free money.

I guess both couldn't hurt.....financially that is!! You'll get the academic and need based scholarship :)

64,700 in the hole for me. i'm hoping for a ramen noodle cookbook as a grad present.

...and i also didnt get a 35. and i never saved african babies from aids, and i've never published a pioneering research thesis.

hooray for average medical students! :D

Some state schools have scholarship money for residents, so you have to live in the right state. Many private schools have donors give them committed pots of money, so you have to be the specific type of person that the donor wanted to help. And many 'scholarships' are various forms of institutional need based aid, which can vary quite a bit from school to school.

Free money independent of need or URM status is pretty rare. And really, there haven't been that many posts that indicate they received that kind of money. Most of them look to be different financial aid packages.

Scholarships for med school are rare, unless you go to a school that is heavily endowed...you'll have to be a superb or very unique candidate to get one. I think a major of students are financing most of their medical education cost with just plain loans. Its a lot of money, but on a future physician's salary it should be manageable.

No. I imagine most of the jerks didn't get scholarships!

Me - I got one, and I am not a jerk. :laugh:

Haha I knew that was coming... you jerk.

I'm holding out for some local scholarships right now. It's amazing how appealing "$500" looks right now. Hell, I've gotten to the point where I try being caller #10 for the radio station giving out 100 scratch off lotto tickets. :laugh:

no, most people don't get scholarships. Other than the military crew, I only know of one person that got one.