Am I the only loser?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrKram20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I the only loser who only applied to a few state schools where I felt I had the best chance, and didn't bother to waste my money applying to UWash, Harvard, Hopkins, etc. so as to save the adcoms there from laughing to death? Just curious if there's anyone else who doesn't have the numbers for these top tier schools and didn't bother wasting the precious cash, as I'm paying for this whole application process myself. It seems like about 95% of the people on these forums applied to those top schools, and by all means more power to you all. Good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, you're not alone.. i was afraid adcoms would laugh at my stats before chucking my file out a window... even my state school has put me on hold, though.. sigh...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm waitlisted at my state school too. Pretty much saying, we don't really want you right now, but if no one else wants to come here, you're better than the guy in the corner who's drooling and trying to bite his own face...........just hang in there.

I'm a loser too but that's because I'm reading SDN 20 times a day

Originally posted by DrKram20
Am I the only loser who only applied to a few state schools where I felt I had the best chance, and didn't bother to waste my money applying to UWash, Harvard, Hopkins, etc. so as to save the adcoms there from laughing to death? Just curious if there's anyone else who doesn't have the numbers for these top tier schools and didn't bother wasting the precious cash, as I'm paying for this whole application process myself. It seems like about 95% of the people on these forums applied to those top schools, and by all means more power to you all. Good luck to all.

I think the question you need to ask yourself is do *you* care that you're not going to any of those schools ? You always hear about the one kid who gets into the top school with the so-so scores and so anything is possible, but it just won't be possible for you. Whether you apply to those schools with average scores I guess it depends on if you believe in luck, or if you like to gamble. I love gambling. I'm going to Las Vegas for my holiday vacation. But I digress. Don't worry. I love you just the way you are.

I did not apply to any top tier schools, but I probably should have just to provide the adcoms with some comic relief. I'm not really sure of the rankings, but I think the highest ranked school I applied to was NYU. I would be shocked if I even got an interview there, but I guess only time will tell.

I applied to some top schools including WashU. For some reason I decided to apply there altho my stats are nowhere near their reported MCATs (36 ave). My postbac grades are great but my old ugrad are a lower gpa so that brings my total gpa down.

But what the heck! I figured you just never know - it's like asking out that cute person, you never know until you try. Anywhoo, I have been really surprised to get in really early to a great school, and have other interviews and have heard bupkus from my state schools in NY (except one which offered me an interview). WashU on the other hand, send me a really nice note saying don't worry if you don't hear anything from us, we are holding onto your file, etc. Well, at least they haven't rejected me immediately so that's been nice.

I wanted to only have to apply once and so I just poured everything into alot of applications (35) and have just tried to do my very best. I wanted to be able to say: I did everything I could honestly do, and see what happens. I'm paying for all this myself just like you and so it's rough seeing a $75. rejection letter ...

First, good luck Woolie and everyone else:clap:

Also, 2 years ago sometime told me something very important and I have never forgotten it:

" Let ______ school decide that they don't want you" Not you. If you never apply,then you never know. It's their job, not yours.

Also, we know how this process is soo eccentric, people getting waitlisted by back up schools and interviews at reach schools..

U never know...:clap:

You make a good point, and that's some good advice you've gotten. I was in the position of reapplying this year, got no interviews last year, and didn't have the extra $$$ to just send out applications to places where I felt I had no shot at all, but then again like you said, I don't really know for sure. I guess if I could go back to this summer, I might have sent out a few "reach" applications, but hey what are ya gonna do.

You're not alone. I didn't apply to any top schools.

Hey, always remember this bit of advice........"The sun shines on a dog's a$$ somedays".........so for all of us without the 4.0's, 42's on the MCAT or nursing poor African children back to heath experiences, who knows maybe today is our day :laugh:
Good Luck to All and Happy Holidays!!!!

Originally posted by woolie
I applied to some top schools including WashU. For some reason I decided to apply there altho my stats are nowhere near their reported MCATs (36 ave). My postbac grades are great but my old ugrad are a lower gpa so that brings my total gpa down.

But what the heck! I figured you just never know - it's like asking out that cute person, you never know until you try. Anywhoo, I have been really surprised to get in really early to a great school, and have other interviews and have heard bupkus from my state schools in NY (except one which offered me an interview). WashU on the other hand, send me a really nice note saying don't worry if you don't hear anything from us, we are holding onto your file, etc. Well, at least they haven't rejected me immediately so that's been nice.

I wanted to only have to apply once and so I just poured everything into alot of applications (35) and have just tried to do my very best. I wanted to be able to say: I did everything I could honestly do, and see what happens. I'm paying for all this myself just like you and so it's rough seeing a $75. rejection letter ...

woolie, you sound exactly like me. I'm even from NY, too. I applied to about 20 schools, and I'm paying for it myself. I've wondered if I should have cut out a few of the reach schools, especially since right now I can't afford to send out the last few secondaries, and they're all schools I have a decent shot at. But I don't ever want to wonder what might have been if I'd applied to the top tiers. You never know. So for me, the extra money is for peace of mind, and it will be well worth it. And you never know what might strike an adcom favorably enough to get an interview.

Ya. I'm a gambler with barely above average stats. I applied to my state MSs and was accepted to both. I also applied to reach schools. My signature says it all.