Am I the only one feeling old???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

white daisy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,
I just read a post in Pre-allopathic about an 18 year old who's going to apply to med school, and within those posts, there were some 19 year old in med school...
I mean, I am 24 and am in my 3rd year of med school... i got in right after my bachelor degree... i just went along with the regular timeline, and yet, i feel so behind everyone else and most importantly so OLD... dunno why. i never thought 24 was such a big number... maybe cuz tons of people are getting married around me and i just broke up with my b/f... anyone experiencing the same thing?? does anyone in med school feel like people around them are moving on with their lives and we'll still in our books at 29?

btw, what's the average of 1st year med students?

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely feel that way. All my non-med school friends are experiencing life first hand, and I have to live vicariously through them. It can be frustrating, but then I realize that I wouldn't be happy with myself if I wasn't here. I think after a few months of not being in school, I would get sick of it and wish I was in med school again. At least after residency, we get a break. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You think 24 is old????? I'm 29 and just starting my first year! And I'm young compared to some others I've met. In my book, you are just about the perfect age for a third year medical student. You probably spent 4 WHOLE YEARS at college, becoming a well-rounded, well-adjusted individual. I'm not sure an 18 yr old MSI is as ready to take on the world. Take it from me, experience can be worth it's weight in gold.

Take it easy, youngun'.

CA

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 31 and just passed my first med school exam. I know that my life experiences, social skills and emotional toughness are far superior now than my late teens and early twenties.
Medschool is tough and there are advantages to entering medical school in your early twenties. I know, because aside from juggling course material - I have a mortgage, family, and other stressors that in my opinion perhaps double the challenges experienced by teenage, med students.
What makes me laugh is when I'm asked to go out to a party ot whatever after classes....and I look at some of my eager and spritelike classmates and have to say....It's passed my bedtime..because I'm actually tired....
Anycase, I look forward to reading from elderly med students like myself....Lots of LAUGHS.
Brad MS1

I know what you mean. I feel hella old after these last two months. and I'm only 20!

Don

Considering the average life span [in the US] is in the range of 77 to 80 years, I wouldn't get too worked up :)

I'm a 28-year old 2nd year, I read that the average age of my entering class was 26 (which is how old I was then; ) now either that's completely false or there are a select few who really throw off the mean. I'm significantly older than most students in my class. I think the most significant difference is that these people are still 'college students' to me; I guess I feel as though I'm beyond that now. Or at least I WAS beyond that.

I loved during orientation week when there were several students who were worried they might be 'carded' at the orientation mixer! Ahhhh kids.........

there was a 67 y/o first year at my school 2 years ago he later droped out dunno y though

theres' are several individuals in my class who are over 40, and one over 60...overall i think the average age is about 25

ditto that,

my study group ranges from 25 - 29. I was feeling kinda bad today when I was just exhausted from the week (and was having a hard time making it through an 8:30 class) when I was looking at bright chatty (yes in class) girl in her early 20's.

But then later she left half way through the lab portion of class saying she was too exhausted. Everything isn't always as it appears I guess.

Made me feel better that I made it through.

I did fall asleep in phsio later that day though. Probably it was the prof not me ;)

i was 19 when i starrted....well im still 19.

but i was in an accelerated 7- year program tho...

I'm a 34 year old 3rd year-I often feel old compared to my classmates (I have a pretty traditional class), but I have also gotten many comments from my clinical sites that I seem more relaxed and mature than others in my class. I think I have less tolerance for some of the cr** that happens in 3rd year, and interestingly, I've experienced much less than my peers.

Members don't see this ad :)
There was a 49 yo guy in my first year class - a PhD biologist who had run his own lab at Univ of Cinci for years. He went into IM.

I was 29 when I started med school.

njbmd is a 51 yo surgery intern at UVa.

You started medschool at age 22? Fuggedaboudit. :rolleyes:

I recently turned 22, and although I'm a first year med student, I still obsess about my age. Primarily b/c all the areas I'm interested in require either 6 or 7 years of training, so I literally sit in class and freak out about being 32 when I'm finally done training. I think it's coz all of my friends that aren't in medicine are already starting their lives, furthering their careers, getting engaged/married. Looks like I'll be a few years behind everyone in that department. Oh well.

yes, MD2B06... I agree with you wholeheartedly...

It's the long residency that's throwing me off. I guess people who get into med school in their thirties are people who have found their significant others, and have done many other things before starting medicine.

aaaarrrrhhhh.... i wish i didn't have to worry about things like that....

Are you people KIDDING me?!?! I'm 27 and only in my first year of post-bacc! I'll be 29-30 when I apply, and who knows how old when (or if) I actually get in!

Relax and enjoy your life and time in med school. And for those of you 30-something MS-I's and II's, more power to you!

Toots

You have to be wary of 6-year program students (2 years of college, then 4 years of med school). Those students will all be 20-ish when getting into med school and 24-ish getting out. The average age of first year med students hovers around the traditional "straight arrow" age of 22 + 1-2 years at some schools.

mike

the average female in my class is older than me. i wish i was older!

be wary of "those 6 yr med prog students"?? why is that? i honestly think maturity is very relative and not associated with age. i can't claim that everyone at my 6 yr program is super mature, but most of us are just as good, if not better than some traditional schools. i'll just turn 24 when i'm done in may and i'm pretty happy about it. loans will be out of the way by age 30 and i can enjoy my work and life. this is not to say that the older students made a bad decision. some people know right away and some people take their time. those who do know right away, ie. out of high school, better be damn sure this is the right field. i agree that is a controversial topic...whether people truly know what it means to be in med school at that age. well, thankfully, i did...at least looking back, i know i made a good decision. i know many who did not. anyways, that was my two cents.

viva la youth!

Okay...I'm old too. Me: 34 years old and just been accepted into Med school, 2 careers and 2 degrees...I just want to be a grown up already!

for those who are in their 30s or late 20s, do you still plan on specializing or going into residency that takes many years? i'm 22 MS1 so i'm wondering where you stand on taking long years in residency, and how does your husband/wife feel about waiting with you for your start of career. i know my family and i cant wait for me to get out of debt, and i cant imagine how hard it is for a 30 yr old couple to be living off student loans until age 40 something. where do you guys stand on that?

I'm a 36 y/o M2 with a previous career as a social worker. I'm married with a 5 y/o son. I definately did not have the maturity in my early 20's for medical school, and I'm glad I'm here now as an older student. My classmates (average age of my class is 24) are great....always inviting me to parties and such. I do LOVE medical school....but I also feel that I'm in a much different stage of life than my classmates. It would really be fun to be in med school as a 23 y/o without all the responsibilities of a grown-up...lol....and at a time when going to all of those parties is really fun!

I am NOT doing a long residency. I'm planning to do FP. I plan to practice with my dad, and I'm lucky to be walking into a really sweet deal there.....

Peace~
Lindsey

I'm 25. The average age of my classmates at entry was 24, and I was 24 when I entered. I feel like I don't really fit in with the 22 y/o straight out of college or the 30+ married students, and it is kind of awkward. I didn't come in to med school with a sig. other b/c I split with someone who wasn't right for me before I matriculated.. There are no females in my situation in my class, which is also very awkward. I even feel nervous going to class and always feel perpetually behind since I'm not a superhero who is juggling kids and a family and school.

I'm in first year and have an eighteen year old son just graduating high school. I do remember (in the cobwebby recesses of my mind) feeling old at 24--age 25 was depressing, seemed like adulthood was kinda unavoidable. I've also been in med with young young undergrads and they can be a real bore. Old can be good, y'know. On the other hand, if I ever call myself old my mum says--'well you better get used to it cause you'll never be any younger than you are now'. Makes me think that putting off calling myself old, til I'm at least, I dunno, 80? might be smart.

It is true that med consumes a lot of time and energy. Look at it this way, at my age, when a lot of working people have lost their health and own nothing, you guys will be all set to buy a red sports car and a toy-boy or trophy-wife.

Seriously though, there's a lot to be said for job and economic security. Worthwhile, interesting work is the secret of a happy life.

BTW Kate, don't you know everyone feels perpetually behind? It's part of the med culture, so you're getting the message! Anyone who doesn't feel behind and over-loaded does so much work that they really have no life (no fun, no sex, no dreams and not enough sleep or exercise). Very bad thing in a doctor, that.

Wow! There is no point of going to med school at 67. When a person is done with residencies and stuff --> 74-75 !!!!!

Originally posted by mikegoal
there was a 67 y/o first year at my school 2 years ago he later droped out dunno y though