Am I the only one without any interviews so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crystalgreen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, it seems like everyone's gotten interviews by now....except me!!!!
Am i the only one or is it still too early? for example, my GW application's been complete for over one month and a half and i havent heard anything...does is mean i've been rejected? is there anyone else out there without interviews and decent stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope...I'll join the party.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody loves me. Everybody hates me. Guess I'll eat some worms...

No worries - many schools are still swamped by applications.

In the same boat.

no interviews, no completes either =( poopies!!

Same here. Don't worry. Still a long way to go.... I hope. haha!

chill man...

the people who have interviews already are the SDNers who had their transcripts sent in march, were refreshing AMCAS over and over until they could submit and had all their secondary essays written before they even received them.

dont worry, there will be plenty of interviews to go around.

keep your chin up!

the people who have interviews already are the SDNers who had their transcripts sent in march, were refreshing AMCAS over and over until they could submit and had all their secondary essays written before they even received them.
Hehe, that describes me...but only because this is my 3rd year. :thumbdown:

I dont understand how the med schools review application. if you dont hear from them for a couple of months after your application's complete, does that translate into a rejection?

look, basically the whole interview game is how you would imagine it is - the more desireable candidates get first crack, and then if there's room, the next batch gets a shot. eventually you'll get to the folks who get interviews in april for the waitlist (and bottom tier of the waitlist at that).

look, basically the whole interview game is how you would imagine it is - the more desireable candidates get first crack, and then if there's room, the next batch gets a shot. eventually you'll get to the folks who get interviews in april for the waitlist (and bottom tier of the waitlist at that).

Thanks... with 0 interview invites so far and a bunch of complete applications, you make me feel really good. :laugh:

I'm just going to keep on thinking that my application got lost in the shuffle. Being delusional is healthy, right guys?

I dont understand how the med schools review application. if you dont hear from them for a couple of months after your application's complete, does that translate into a rejection?
It could...but the real question is how long you've been COMPLETE. Meaning AMCAS verified, secondary submitted/paid for, and LOR's received by the school. I also just saw one school mention their interview season started in October. Plus, it's barely been a "couple of months" since you could submit primaries (mid-June, if I recall)...so even if you were complete early July it's only been just over a month and a half.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, all spots have been filled for 2008. Better luck next year!

(Joking at my own expense here, as I haven't received any invites either.)

Thanks... with 0 interview invites so far and a bunch of complete applications, you make me feel really good. :laugh:

I'm just going to keep on thinking that my application got lost in the shuffle. Being delusional is healthy, right guys?

With a 39T, I don't think you've got much to worry about dude. You'll be fine. For me on the other hand, uh.... I just hope St. Jude comes through!

That's not very nice...but not untrue either. Look, super-early interviews are GREAT (for rolling-admin schools), but getting an interview even through December or January isn't the end of the world- if they weren't still accepting they wouldn't waste their time interviewing. A handful of interviewees from each group are accepted, a few are rejected, and the remainder are waitlisted. This is true of every interview group....it's just that the ratio of accepted to waitlisted changes over time.

with your kind of numbers, an interview isn't even required - if they do extend you one, it'll be a formality vis-a-vis van wilder. i mean, you even have bulletpoints on your mdapps...

p.s. i'd kill to get a secondary to a UC at this point in the game, yet alone an interview.

That's not very nice...but not untrue either. Look, super-early interviews are GREAT (for rolling-admin schools), but getting an interview even through December or January isn't the end of the world- if they weren't still accepting they wouldn't waste their time interviewing. A handful of interviewees from each group are accepted, a few are rejected, and the remainder are waitlisted. This is true of every interview group....it's just that the ratio of accepted to waitlisted changes over time.

i for one appreciate sdn for not being so nice. while everyone else was telling me that i was going to have a hard time choosing between ucsf and stanford because of a 35+ mcat score, sdn is the one that told me that i'd be lucky if ucsf gave me the OPPORTUNITY to send them $60.

i've got friends who have markedly superior applications, and they have more interview invites at this point in the game than i received in aggregate my last time applying. i'm sure my time will come, but if/when it does, it's going to be in 2008 at the earliest. i only wish i had found sdn before college started (or even before my junior year); which is why i'm not so harsh on the high-schoolers who come here looking for advice. i mean, i knew this is what i wanted in 6th grade, and everything i've done academically to this point was in an effort to one day be awarded an md.

(man that was long)

chill man...

dont worry, there will be plenty of interviews to go around.

keep your chin up!

Suck it son!! I was complete in July, have a mediocre MCAT, and I got an interview! It's just one, and it might be the only one, but dammit don't you lump me in with all the people with actual good numbers who were done on day one ;)

I'm riding this one interview out until I get accepted/rejected and no one is taking that from me :p

with your kind of numbers, an interview isn't even required - if they do extend you one, it'll be a formality vis-a-vis van wilder. i mean, you even have bulletpoints on your mdapps...

p.s. i'd kill to get a secondary to a UC at this point in the game, yet alone an interview.

Not only do I have bullet points on my MDapps, I have poker symbols. :D

I know your very first sentence is complete sarcasm, but you'd be surprised how many people on SDN think that's true. A good MCAT score is just another part of an application that isn't weak... it by no means is the entire package. I'm still crossing my fingers for that UCSF secondary, but people verified after me have been receiving them, so we'll see how it pans out.

I know your very first sentence is complete sarcasm, but you'd be surprised how many people on SDN think that's true. A good MCAT score is just another part of an application that isn't weak... it by no means is the entire package. I'm still crossing my fingers for that UCSF secondary, but people verified after me have been receiving them, so we'll see how it pans out.

how did you do so well on your mcat? how did you study and what material did you use?

It's all on perspective. I have gotten interviews but in schools that have begun that phase. You can only be jealous of someone who has an interview at a school you applied to. :p Just relax. I can't say I was working very hard on my secondaries since it's all snail mail with my LORs, but I tried to get them in as soon as I could. I don't think there are many gunners like that one poster described. Those people are probably the last people who need to do so anyways.

not really sarcasm. if you're half as affable (which i can kind of tell you are by your picture) as you are an academic, you should get in somewhere this year. maybe not ucsf, or a uc (this would really surprise me though), but you will be part of some schools entering class of 2008. i'm guessing a school that's in the top 15. anyway, good luck...but i know what you mean, you won't truly feel comfortable till that first acceptance.

Suck it son!! I was complete in July, have a mediocre MCAT, and I got an interview! It's just one, and it might be the only one, but dammit don't you lump me in with all the people with actual good numbers who were done on day one ;)

I'm riding this one interview out until I get accepted/rejected and no one is taking that from me :p

like in every other aspect of life, texas doesn't count.

the rest of sdn has interviews

lol...I must say i still think i am the luckiest one of all...25 mcat and an allopathic interview to my 1st choice Vermont! and I am OOS!...prolly my only interview so I have this one shot to make a good impression...GO UVM! GO CATAMOUNTS! (....please accept me!!!!!...):scared:

lol...I must say i still think i am the luckiest one of all...25 mcat and an allopathic interview to my 1st choice Vermont! and I am OOS!...prolly my only interview so I have this one shot to make a good impression...GO UVM! GO CATAMOUNTS! (....please accept me!!!!!...):scared:

it's just like in real life - the poor and the rich get everything, and the middle-class gets screwed :laugh:

No, a rejection translates into a rejection. These people reject thousands of applicants every year, if they're going to deep six your file they're not going to beat around the bush.

To understand the review process, imagine a locked room with about a dozen chimps sitting around a table. Each year on June 1st a red light flashes and 3,000 applications are dumped into the middle of the room. Guess what? It takes time to parse through them all. Days, weeks, even months may pass in order to categorize the applications. They're not trying to string you along, or keep your hopes up, or let you down easy. They're trying to pick the best people with whatever methodology they favor, and they've rejected a million like you. You're nothing special.

When you make the cut and they invest in you, then things change. But until that point, you are number THX 1138, the latest pile of paper with a three point something GPA and a thirty something MCAT.

You Serious?

it's just like in real life - the poor and the rich get everything, and the middle-class gets screwed :laugh:

Nope. Middle class. Got the same interview.

haha...my gpa is 3.65...so i guess thats middle class....and I am a reapp and I took my MCAT 3 times...can anyone say mistake interview? I have been dancing about this interview for 2 weeks now!...now if only I would be accepted....anyone know the stats on this school for acceptance of students who interview?

No, a rejection translates into a rejection. These people reject thousands of applicants every year, if they're going to deep six your file they're not going to beat around the bush.

To understand the review process, imagine a locked room with about a dozen chimps sitting around a table. Each year on June 1st a red light flashes and 3,000 applications are dumped into the middle of the room. Guess what? It takes time to parse through them all. Days, weeks, even months may pass in order to categorize the applications. They're not trying to string you along, or keep your hopes up, or let you down easy. They're trying to pick the best people with whatever methodology they favor, and they've rejected a million like you. You're nothing special.

When you make the cut and they invest in you, then things change. But until that point, you are number THX 1138, the latest pile of paper with a three point something GPA and a thirty something MCAT.

Although I'm all for what this post is trying to say, I don't think it's easy for them to reject outright either. I recall an interviewer for school X ask an applicant, "Why do you want to go here? You're just going to go to school Y anyway." :p I think schools also play the game of knowing they aren't a top choice all the time. It's why some schools have "holds for interview" or "hold for secondary". Having said that, own what Gut Shot says as it probably will give you a realistic perspective.

Although I'm all for what this post is trying to say, I don't think it's easy for them to reject outright either.

It might not always be easy, but at the end of the day it's just business. Being rejected can scar you for life. Being the rejector... well... nothing heals those wounds like the next round of applicants.

It might not always be easy, but at the end of the day it's just business. Being rejected can scar you for life. Being the rejector... well... nothing heals those wounds like the next round of applicants.

LoL. I just mean it's not easy to let go of a realistic applicant. I think they only outright reject on the first look if they are 1. pompous or 2. sure they will not accept someone with the provided stats. If you take a hard look at the MCAT scores on MSAR, the range of scores is pretty wide. This early in the game, I think it's "fun" for schools to act like Johns Hopkins with applicants. However, sending off rejections just doesn't seem to help them if they are always turned down because some other school took their kid. :p

not really sarcasm. if you're half as affable (which i can kind of tell you are by your picture) as you are an academic, you should get in somewhere this year. maybe not ucsf, or a uc (this would really surprise me though), but you will be part of some schools entering class of 2008. i'm guessing a school that's in the top 15. anyway, good luck...but i know what you mean, you won't truly feel comfortable till that first acceptance.
Thank you for the support-- it means quite a bit. I'm hoping to find a campus that's a great fit for me, and I guess I'll know which one that is when I do interviews. I don't need to go to the #1 medical school in the US... I just hope to find a campus that I mesh with beautifully. I'll feel comfortable once I've achieved that goal, and really hope I do.

Again, thanks for the confidence! :)
Good luck to you as well :luck:. I hope we both end up where we're happy.

how did you do so well on your mcat? how did you study and what material did you use?
I have my post in the 30+ thread here but of course you're free to PM me if you have any specific questions. I'm not sure how much I can be of assistance, but if you run into any specific problems let me know.

I love Vermont more by the day. Best of luck on your interview, one score does not an application make!

What do you mean..mediocre mcat? what's your score?

I haven't received any interview invites yet, and I was looking for a thread to vent... and here I am.

I was complete around the beginning of September, so I suppose it's not time to worry yet, but I'm definitely getting impatient. Hanging around SDN is probably not healthy at this time. :( One of my dormmates is at an interview right now... but another one of my dormmates hasn't even submitted a single secondary yet. I guess the range makes me feel a little better.

I think it will be such a big relief when I get my first interview because I NEED that step to get in somewhere (obviously). I realize that having an interview is not the same as an acceptance, but it's that one step closer that I haven't achieved yet. Hope good news comes soon for me and for others who are still waiting for interviews :luck:

I haven't received any interview invites yet, and I was looking for a thread to vent... and here I am.

I was complete around the beginning of September, so I suppose it's not time to worry yet, but I'm definitely getting impatient. Hanging around SDN is probably not healthy at this time. :( One of my dormmates is at an interview right now... but another one of my dormmates hasn't even submitted a single secondary yet. I guess the range makes me feel a little better.

I think it will be such a big relief when I get my first interview because I NEED that step to get in somewhere (obviously). I realize that having an interview is not the same as an acceptance, but it's that one step closer that I haven't achieved yet. Hope good news comes soon for me and for others who are still waiting for interviews :luck:

Yeah I wouldn't sweat it so much. I'm starting to feel the burn being an early applicant having so few interviews. If I applied much like you did school-wise (and I would have), I'd be in the same boat as far as CA schools. I think you're doing just fine for someone who applied later in the game. I wouldn't mind trading places with you. :p

Oh God guys.

I was just about to post in this thread to join the no-interviews party, but I swear, as I was typing, Florida State called. Interviewing soon!

Yay!!!

I was complete earlier than you at all of those schools and I don't have any invites yet either.

No interviews here either. It is sorta getting more difficult to stay positive as the interview lists on SDN get longer and longer everyday. I think i'll give it till mid November till I freak out and buy some LSAT prep books.

Oh God guys.

I was just about to post in this thread to join the no-interviews party, but I swear, as I was typing, Florida State called. Interviewing soon!

Yay!!!
Amazing! Congrats, and hope it goes well!
I was complete earlier than you at all of those schools and I don't have any invites yet either.
Bah. I hope we hear back soon. :luck:

No interviews here either. It is sorta getting more difficult to stay positive as the interview lists on SDN get longer and longer everyday. I think i'll give it till mid November till I freak out and buy some LSAT prep books.

If you are not that passionate about medical school and don't plan on reapplying if you don't get in this year, maybe you don't deserve to get any interviews? How much do you even want to be a doctor?

I am still waiting for UC secondaries... well at least I finished UCDavis (their secondary is hella whack!). C'MON interviews!

Hey guys, it seems like everyone's gotten interviews by now....except me!!!!
Am i the only one or is it still too early? for example, my GW application's been complete for over one month and a half and i havent heard anything...does is mean i've been rejected? is there anyone else out there without interviews and decent stats?

You're freaking out WAY TOO EARLY.

I interviewed in March, and was accepted 2 weeks later. They continued to interview into early June that year.

Start panicking around April.

No, I think most of us still don't have interviews.

No interview love here either. I applied to 20+ allopathic schools and haven't gotten a bite. Most of the schools were complete in early September; one or two didn't get secondaries to me until last week. I know my numbers aren't super good, and I went to a sort of non-traditional college, but many students at my college have gone into med school. I didn't do anything ridiculous like apply to Harvard. I applied to the standard schools...Rush, Meharry, Morehouse, Univ Wa (Wa state resident), OHSU, Loyola, RFU, Albany, NYMC, SUNY Upstate, SUNY Buffalo, UVM, Drexel, Creighton, AECOM, Ohio state, UW Madison...

29S MCAT
3.9 GPA from community college
excellent narrative evaluations from my college
excellent LOR
undergraduate research into cognitive neuroscience
on college newspaper staff for three years
ran indigent medications program at a health clinic in my home town
chemistry club member for two years
shadowed doctors/nurses at hometown health clinic
currently working as an in home mental health counselor

/did get an interview at an osteopathic school though.
//better than nothing
///slashies

You're freaking out WAY TOO EARLY.

I interviewed in March, and was accepted 2 weeks later. They continued to interview into early June that year.

Start panicking around April.
how could you not freak out? :scared: