Am I the only one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Chiquita

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I need a little pep talk. So far I have received secondaries from schools that I applied as a reach or more like a dream school. I have been working on their secondaries and I am thinking why do I even bother? :( Do you guys ever feel that way?

Maybe I shouldn't be so negative, but I can't help it though. I should just go to sleep.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say take a positive attitude. Look, you only get to apply once (hopefully), so you may as well reach for some dream schools. We all know that schools do take people that don't necessarily "meet the cut", and that could be you. Go in with a positive attitude, and hopefully it will shine through during the application process. After all, what's an extra bit of money for a chance to fulfil the dream of a lifetime. You'll never know if you didn't try. Good luck.

Alexander Pink said:
I say take a positive attitude. Look, you only get to apply once (hopefully), so you may as well reach for some dream schools. We all know that schools do take people that don't necessarily "meet the cut", and that could be you. Go in with a positive attitude, and hopefully it will shine through during the application process. After all, what's an extra bit of money for a chance to fulfil the dream of a lifetime. You'll never know if you didn't try. Good luck.

Yea that's exactly why I applied. I'll be stoked even if I get an interview. It doesn't hurt to try. Except my wallet that is.

I agree. Don't sell yourself short. Medical school admissions can be a total crapshoot. Looking back on my application process, I wish I had applied to more "reach" schools. I definitely didn't have stellar numbers, but I at least got interviews into some top tier schools. And now I'm attending one of them. Good luck!

why worry!! ;) just do what you have to do and see how everything pans out. :thumbup:

I applied to some schools that were SO out of my league it wasn't even funny, but one of those reach schools turned out to be the first one to offer me an interview. Lesson - JUST APPLY! From looking at my numbers I never would have thought that I would even be considered. Remember you will never make any basket you don't shoot for. The only schools that you should not apply to are schools that even if accepted you would def. not like to go to.

Having said that it might look strange if you are applying to over 30 schools so just use a little common sense.

Izzyfine-

Read my signature!! I obviously think you should apply!

I must say that SDNers are awesome. Thanks guys for the kind words. I think I needed to hear it from someone else besides my bf who's been really supportive. Everytime I get a bit depressed about filling out secondaries at my reach schools, I am going to come back to this thread and read it again & again. Thanks guys! :thumbup: :)

Dr. Chiquita, girl don't worry! i know how you feel exactly, pouring over how to find the right words when writing an essay, and then thinking, hell, do i even have a chance? lol, its time to find jesus and pray. but honestly, just do the best you can. we'll be here for ya

Remix said:
what if im not christian and dont believe in Jesus CHrist? does that mean im gonna get SERVED?
I wasn't saying that. I was saying that if you read my signature, you will see how I think and know that I would say APPLY! I could comment much more on this, but I don't want this to turn into a religious debate!

Remix said:
what if im not christian and dont believe in Jesus CHrist? does that mean im gonna get SERVED?
God still blesses the people who don't believe! He's just good like that!! Fighting the urge to preach.... :) ha ha!!

Okay, I need a little pep talk.

I think you just need an SDN hug so....

*HUGGGG*

Med school admissions is a rough thing to go through. Just plow through it all no matter what. You'll be glad you did and remember to never give up! :) Took me 4 years to get in!

Best Wishes,
Richie