Am I the only slackline walker here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panetrain

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few days ago while walking my 2" X 40' Gibbon slackline anchored to two trees in my backyard I wondered if I'm the only anesthesiologist slackliner? I'm also a rock climber, sport and trad, alpine and high altitude mountaineer, which I'm sure many in our field share these same interests. However, the slackline seems to be a bit more obscure of a sport or balancing art form as I like to classify it.. So, anyone else here walk the slackline or highline? :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
LOL, now you're just screwing with us, aren't you? :)

You're up to 1024x768 ... please resize to 100x100 or less. People who are nice enough to donate to SDN can go larger:

bronze - 125x125
silver - 150x150
gold - 160x160
life - 175x175

If you want to use that desert image, attached is a resized version.

Attachments

• desert-small.JPG
    desert-small.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 51
Is it a West Coast thing? I see slackline stuff for sale on The Clymb and REI-Outlet all the time, but I'd never even heard of it before that. Never seen or heard of anyone that does it, either.

Avatar has been fixed. So I'm the only anesthesia dude gnarly enough to walk slackline?

I almost bought one not too long ago. I used to climb, but it's been about 1.5 decades. It's a blast, still want to get one... Maybe Christmas. I have some friends who are still avid climbers, I see pics of them slack lining across crevasses... Crazy.

Come to Utah... plenty of slack liners and climbers here.

Of course if you've been to the location of your avatar pic, you already know that. Since that is Utah.

Slackline walking did originate on the West Coast in the Yosemite Valley back in 70's, but is now global. Was in France few weeks ago and some dude was walking a slackline in a park in Nice. :D

Is it a West Coast thing? I see slackline stuff for sale on The Clymb and REI-Outlet all the time, but I'd never even heard of it before that. Never seen or heard of anyone that does it, either.

I was raised in UTAH, don't live there now though. I'm actually flying to Moab on Monday to climb some of the sand stone towers including Castleton, Fisher Towers, Lizard Head and Ancient Art (the tower from that lame ass City Bank commercial with the chick standing on that summit). I'm going to scout the terrain for placing a highline between two spires, but walking the line will have to wait until next time. :highfive::highfive:

Come to Utah... plenty of slack liners and climbers here.

Of course if you've been to the location of your avatar pic, you already know that. Since that is Utah.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still seeking a fellow anesthesiologist slackline walker. Residents will suffice, but an actual attending anesthesiologist would be even more impressive. :zip::zip::zip::zip:

If you are going to Moab, you might want to check out the terrain outside Cannyonlands, particularly on the "needles" side.

Sick climbing down there:

druid_arch_canyonlands_1200.jpg

canyonlands_rock_climbing.jpg

That place is magical. I go to CL to camp, hike and climb and Moab to ride MB/Moto in the dirt.

Just a thought.

498569.jpg

I love how you can ski and climb within one trip. Beautiful country.

That's a gnarly hand crack! Utah is incredible. Looking at buying a ranch in Northern Utah. Land still affordable unlike CO. Glad to see a fellow climber in here.

If you are going to Moab, you might want to check out the terrain outside Cannyonlands, particularly on the "needles" side.

That place is magical. I go to CL to camp, hike and climb and Moab to ride MB/Moto in the dirt.

Just a thought.

Yeah... you wouldn't catch me dead on that type of hand crack- or dead shortly after attempting it. :scared: The type of climbing I do is not very gnarly compared to that crazy dude in the picture. I just do it for fun while out camping with climber friends.

Northern Utah is pretty sweet. Good luck property hunting. :thumbup:

Slack line season has started. Just got a new line, Gibbon 60 ft tube line 1 inch diameter. This line dominates the standard 2 inch sports line.

I have always wanted to get into climbing. Never knew anyone that did it. How does one start? I have no clue about equipment or places?

I have always wanted to get into climbing. Never knew anyone that did it. How does one start? I have no clue about equipment or places?
I'd start indoors, at a climbing wall/gym. Most cities have them. Equipment is pretty basic (shoes, loose clothing, harness, and you can get into your own ropes later). Problem is, you need a belay (the guy on the ground supporting your rope in case you fall off the wall), which means it's a two-person activity, so you can't just start on your own. The gym I used to go to had people show up solo, and they'd announce if anyone wanted to join up, but I doubt most people want to tutor a noob right off the bat.

Been climbing for 15+ years and used to be an instructor (sorry OP, I'm terrible at slacklining). My advice for getting started with the sport would be to sign up for an intro class at a local gym as cchoukal mentioned. They usually offer a package where you learn to belay safely and start by climbing very easy stuff (similar to a ladder) and get a few passes or a discount on a membership / gear. Climbing is a great sport in that it combines a physical challenge with a mental puzzle. Very addicting.

Last edited:

Just a thought.
The route is actually called "Supercrack of the Desert". Aptly named and there's an incredible little documentary of how it was first climbed:

RWs9K_le_original.jpg
Sended super crack (3 pitches of 5.10 hands and small hands crack) this past week. It's located in Indian Creek, about 40 miles east of Moab, UT. Super gnarly, super rad, super cruxy

Reactions: 2 users
RWs9K_le_original.jpg
Sended super crack (3 pitches of 5.10 hands and small hands crack) this past week. It's located in Indian Creek, about 40 miles east of Moab, UT. Super gnarly, super rad, super cruxy

I dug that route as well. I handed my camera to a couple of canadians and asked them to take some pictures of me leading. They said sure. I came back down and they said "we got so many rad pictures!!!"... When I went to look at them that night there were zero. Zero pictures. Confusing.

Good to see someone from "Midwest" getting out and climbing big stuff!

Yep that's the one... right next to cannyonlands. Sick picture panetrain. :wideyed:

Looks like we just missed ea. other

IMG_6953_zps9783c7dc.jpeg

This was from 2 days ago.

a>

I dug that route as well. I handed my camera to a couple of canadians and asked them to take some pictures of me leading. They said sure. I came back down and they said "we got so many rad pictures!!!"... When I went to look at them that night there were zero. Zero pictures. Confusing.

Good to see someone from "Midwest" getting out and climbing big stuff!

Midwest obviously not great for super gnarly climbs, but luckily my current gig allows me plenty of time off to travel the world and crush some killer objectives.

Nice bike sevo, you hit Eddies bar in Moab?

Nope. It's usually from the campsite to the trail and back to the campsite. We have a little afternoon bar there usually.

Nothing like your climbing craziness, but this is our last peeling around/climbing arena from the last trip:

IMG_6708_zpsde4b4461.jpg

30 minutes past Moab following the Colorado river... then you take a right before Fishers Towers:

Right around... here:

IMG_6755_zpsa35da238.jpg

Follow this sweet canyon until infinity... really off the grid. Dirnks are on me next time.

IMG_6696_zpsc8af09da.jpg

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1399499418.436973.jpg

Not nearly as cool as some of those other pictures, but this is all that is close to me. Finally bought a slackline and had a nice bike ride/slackline session. Good times enjoying my pre-residency freedom!

View attachment 181042

Not nearly as cool as some of those other pictures, but this is all that is close to me. Finally bought a slackline and had a nice bike ride/slackline session. Good times enjoying my pre-residency freedom!

Nice line RT2MD

I'm headed back to Moab UT and Indian Creek Sunday for some rad crack climbs, highlines and towers!

(Castleton Tower, North Chimney, 5.9+, this past April)
image.jpg

Do any of you Midwest guys ever head over to the Red River Gorge in KY for some sport climbing?

Next time you're in Moab, check out the white rim trail in Canyonlands. 105 miles, jeep trail so not super technical single track, but it's a fun long day ride. I did it a few years ago.

Do any of you Midwest guys ever head over to the Red River Gorge in KY for some sport climbing?
There's a contingent from my medical school that heads down fairly regularly.

Your avatar reminds me of a great friend who rode on Penn's cycling team. Their unofficial motto: PEDAL HARDER, THE SHOTS ARE GETTING CLOSER!

A few days ago while walking my 2" X 40' Gibbon slackline anchored to two trees in my backyard I wondered if I'm the only anesthesiologist slackliner? I'm also a rock climber, sport and trad, alpine and high altitude mountaineer, which I'm sure many in our field share these same interests. However, the slackline seems to be a bit more obscure of a sport or balancing art form as I like to classify it.. So, anyone else here walk the slackline or highline? :eek:

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Heading there for a trip in the spring. Looking forward to it! Horseshoe canyon ranch in Arkansas is also happening this spring.

I am a novice slacker. I have a 60ft 2" gibbon slackline. It's fun despite my being no good. I am a climber, though I've never tried trad climbing. Hiking, mountain biking, mountaineering, camping, canyoneering. All high on my preferred list of things to do.

4th year med student interviewing for anesthesia right now. Location and proximity to climbing and mountains is playing a big role in my deciding where to go to be honest.