• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Am I throwing away 100k by going SMP with a 3.5/3.4/516?

anonmeds

Nov 18, 2019
I applied this cycle only MD and ended up with 1 II and 1 waitlist. I made some mistakes with my application though. I had a research heavy app, weak clinical experiences, and was complete late (October).

Other relevant info: -I have taken ~30 credits of post-bacc courses and have gotten a ~3.7 (got a D in my first semester of post-bacc because of mental health issues, but all As the last ~20 credits). -This past year I have scribed + added lots of clinical and non-clinical volunteering, so I should be in the hundreds of hours in those categories. -TX resident

I am seriously considering going SMP if the waitlist doesn't work out because I feel like my big flaw is my weak GPA and questionable academic history. However, a part of me feels like if I just get my application in this month (May), I may end up doing alright with my new experiences + early application. Is a 80k SMP that will end up 100k+ when interest is considered a huge financial mistake for someone in my position?

I also understand that I am in a good position for DO programs and would apply to some this cycle, but I would like an MD program because I am interested in a becoming a physician-scientist and my (perhaps incorrect) understanding is that it is much harder to achieve because of the unfortunately unwarranted bias against DO. As for why I am not applying MD/PhD, I've been told that road is closed for me now because of my weak stats.

anonmeds

Nov 18, 2019
Can't recommend an SMP.

What was your school list?
State Of residence?

Compete when?

Suggest working in interview skills, rewrite all essays, and have DO schools on your list. Beggars can't be choosy.

School list was just the TX schools because I am a TX resident. From my research it seems like low stats ORM TX residents are not advised to apply OOS. You think that I should maybe try some OOS schools for my reapplication?

I was complete in October, which I know is a bit of a death sentence and probably a significant factor in my lack of success this time around. The reason I was thinking about the SMP is because I look at the TX school GPA medians via MSAR and can't help but feel like I have no shot without some sort of serious GPA remediation, but maybe my postbacc is enough?

As for your suggestions, yup agree with you on all points and will be doing everything you listed.

About the Ads

Talldoctor96

2+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2018
DM ME. You absolutely don’t need to do that. Your gpa is honestly 25-50th percentile for most mid to low tier MDs. And you have an amazing MCAT! YOU DONT NEEd an SMP DONT DO IT. if anything you need to improve your ECs, essays, secondaries etc.

Amyloid_Beemer

2+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2018
You have the stats to get in, apply EARLY and broadly to mid/low tier schools, and have at least 5-10 DO schools in the mix as well, address any shortcomings and highlight your growth.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 users

Talldoctor96

2+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2018
you are very inconsistent but I think you do not need an SMP
as you pointed out, mistakes in app, not enough clinical, complete late. Those seem to be more of what you need to fix
Exactly you need to apply EARLY they have about same GPA and much better mcat than me I got 6 MD II because I applied earllyyyy

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.