Am I Too Late In the Process??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringMD/DO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Freaking out and really need some advice here. I am concerned that I may not be a competitive applicant at this point in the application process.

My primary accomas application was verified on Oct 9 (applied to all 36 osteopathic medical schools) and I have been feverishly writing to complete my secondary applications before Thanksgiving.
With a 3.13 overall gpa, 3.58 science gpa, and 27 mcat (7/10/10), I am concerned that I am too late and no longer a competitive applicant by having my applications complete at the end of November.

Is it worth it to even complete them at this point or am I giving money away? From what I have read, some schools have already filled their seats for this cycle? Would it be better for me to withdraw my application and instead apply in May for next cycle??

Members don't see this ad.

Well if you don't make it through this cycle, you'll have to retake the MCAT. I think it's only good for 5 years (right, people?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I would wait until next cycle as you would have a better chance at going somewhere you want to as opposed to sliding into LUCOM (example) but if you are already filling out secondaries you might be considered a reapplicant if you pull out now. I don't know.

Well if you don't make it through this cycle, you'll have to retake the MCAT. I think it's only good for 5 years (right, people?)

Depends on the school, for most schools it is only good for 3 years.

Reactions: 1 user
lol I did the same thing.

And you are kind of late to the party but the good news is your sGPA is'nt bad and MCAT is fine, but your cGPA may be an issue. Also some very strong extracurriculars can really help you out. If you end up re-applying next year definitely retake at least 2-3 of those classes that dragged down your cGPA and Ill bet you'll see a large increase and probably a few interviews! Keep your head up, worst case scenario is you reapply next year (this time much earlier lol)

No, it's still not too late!

Hi guys,

Freaking out and really need some advice here. I am concerned that I may not be a competitive applicant at this point in the application process.

My primary accomas application was verified on Oct 9 (applied to all 36 osteopathic medical schools) and I have been feverishly writing to complete my secondary applications before Thanksgiving.
With a 3.13 overall gpa, 3.58 science gpa, and 27 mcat (7/10/10), I am concerned that I am too late and no longer a competitive applicant by having my applications complete at the end of November.

Is it worth it to even complete them at this point or am I giving money away? From what I have read, some schools have already filled their seats for this cycle? Would it be better for me to withdraw my application and instead apply in May for next cycle??