am i too late?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by naynay787, Sep 10, 2001.

1. naynay787

naynay787 New Member

i'm about to start my sophomore year of college, maybe i'm crazy but i just decided to go premed. my question is whether its not too late. if i start now i probably won't finish all my prereq's until sr year, but i'd rather apply jr year so i can start med school right after i graduate. any advice whatsoever????????????

2. jdub

jdub Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you definitely aren't too late, people go to med school well into their thirties and up.

you should get going with your prereqs, though. i would also try to get involved with some volunteering and research as soon as you could. being publish is good, but not necessary. also, start looking into what is required for applying to med school. in a few years you will need to take the mcat, do all prereqs and get letters of recommendation.

as far as starting school right after college. if you haven't taken sometime off from school, it isn't a bad idea to take a year or two off between college and med school. travel abroad or do americorps or something like that.

best of luck.

3. cg1

cg1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

That's good advice. And if you can't afford to travel abroad, etc..., you could go the option of getting a "regular" job. The money that you earn could help with your med school bills.