Am I too old? / Financial Aid Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HAZELLBOO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a couple of weeks, I will be 30 years old. I am considering going to school to become a doctor. The problem is that I have never attended college, so I would be starting from scratch as a Freshman in Undergrad. Am I too old? Sometimes I think, "Well, I will be 40 years old in 10 years whether I go or not, so I may as well go and be a doctor at 40". Other times, I just think I am too old. I know that schooling would take 8 years, but I believe I would also spend even more years as an intern and in residency, correct? What will the time line be like? What would my salary be like during internship, residency, fellowship, and once all of these have been completed?
Also, I know that most medical students change their minds about their specialty several times during school, but I am currently interested in Anesthesiology (if that info helps).

The second thing that I am concerned about is financial aid. More specifically, can I afford medical school? I make $46,000/ year, and I do not have any childen. How much does financial aid really cover? I remember I went to a "college" when I was 22 years old. I had moved out of my parent's house (1,000 miles away) when I was 18, yet the financial aid office still wanted my parents income info, and based my aid on that info, therefore, I didn't qualify for anything.
(The reason I said that I have never attended college earlier is because I don't consider that school to be a 'real' school because I tried to transfer credits to Devry a few years later and was told the school wasn't regionally accredited so the credits were invalid.)

Summary:
1. I am interested in Anesthesiology.
2. Am I too old to start as a Freshman Undergrad at 30?
3. Can I afford medical school? How much does financial aid really pay?
4. What would my salary be like during internship, residency, fellowship, and once all of these have been completed?

Addt'l info:
1. My credit isnt the greatest, so private loans will most likely not be an option.
2. I do not have a cosigner.
3. I live in NJ, and there is only one Medical School here. I will probably have to attend in NY and pay out of state tuition.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.