Am I too old for Medicine?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Medschooldreamer, Jul 13, 2000.

1. Medschooldreamer

I am 25 years old and this year is my first shot at applying to medical school. To be honest I feel that I may be too old for medical school. I mean if I get accepted, I will be brushing 30 before I graduate. Then if I decide to specialize, that will be another 4 years. Oh and I will have to bear children sometime in that interval! Is it possible to juggle all that starting out at 25?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dlbruch

dlbruch Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Dreamer- I will be 30 next month- the same month I will be starting med. school. I have been married for four years and have a 7 month old son. Med school will not be easy, especially having to balance it with family. BUT, it is also my dream, has taken tons of work to get this far, and I know that I will make it through however difficult it may be. I am thankful to have a little more maturity and a supportive wife and family on my side through it all. I keep telling myself that people do it all the time, so I can too.

4. bq235

bq235 New Member

You are NOT old. I know someone who entered medical school at age 34 and is now on his way to New Jersey for Psychiatric residency. Being old is only in your mind! Go for it! If you don't, you'll live the rest of your old age in regrets.

5. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...

One of my classmates started med school at 48. Of course she has already had all her kids.

Another classmate had her first child during the beginning of our second year, and another was pregnant at the end of our second year.

Just some more info...

Billie

6. m32

m32

I'm 32 and applying this year....I sure hope you're not too old!

7. riverweb

riverweb Member

I'm 44 and starting this Fall. You are only a 3-4 years older than a traditional student. That is not old! Go for it!