Am I too old for Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medschooldreamer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 25 years old and this year is my first shot at applying to medical school. To be honest I feel that I may be too old for medical school. I mean if I get accepted, I will be brushing 30 before I graduate. Then if I decide to specialize, that will be another 4 years. Oh and I will have to bear children sometime in that interval! Is it possible to juggle all that starting out at 25?

Members don't see this ad.

Dreamer- I will be 30 next month- the same month I will be starting med. school. I have been married for four years and have a 7 month old son. Med school will not be easy, especially having to balance it with family. BUT, it is also my dream, has taken tons of work to get this far, and I know that I will make it through however difficult it may be. I am thankful to have a little more maturity and a supportive wife and family on my side through it all. I keep telling myself that people do it all the time, so I can too.

You are NOT old. I know someone who entered medical school at age 34 and is now on his way to New Jersey for Psychiatric residency. Being old is only in your mind! Go for it! If you don't, you'll live the rest of your old age in regrets.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my classmates started med school at 48. Of course she has already had all her kids.

Another classmate had her first child during the beginning of our second year, and another was pregnant at the end of our second year.

Just some more info...

Billie

I'm 44 and starting this Fall. You are only a 3-4 years older than a traditional student. That is not old! Go for it!