Am I unworthy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RootCanal

I
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to 11 schools. I only received one interview from Louisville where I did some post grad work and I was accepted in the first round. I'm looking at some of the other people's stats and I really don't think I am worthy of claiming a spot (though of course I'm going to.) I only had a 2.89 in undergrad (Charleston.) I received my Masters degree from Louisville with a 3.5...bringing my cum GPA on AADSAS up to a 3.01 (without +/-) and a 2.97 with +/-. I took my DATs 2 times. First time I had 16/15, second time (2 yrs later) I had 18/18. Nothing spectacular. After looking at some that were rejected, I'm starting to question my worthiness of claiming a spot. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Members don't see this ad.

are you for real? take the spot!

Of course I'm taking it but I maybe don't deserve it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't feel bad or less worthy than your fellow classmates....you must have something that Lousiville finds appealing and you should be proud of that!! Hey, your going to be a Dentist, buck up and be proud....congratulations

Don't feel that you're "unworthy" Take the spot and be grateful that you were accepted.

If your ties to the school (ie - getting your Masters from Louisville) helped you in the application process . . . then so be it.

You made your application better by getting a Masters, and you succeeded by getting accepted. Good for you! You did exactly what a lot of other people are doing, making their application better any way they know how. So don't feel bad about it!

Everyone works hard to get in, but once you ARE in, it's a clean slate for everyone. Think of it that way...that you're all on the same page, because you truly are and there's very little benefit you can get before you go. They start you from the beginning, so you all get an equal shot at it (one benefit of dental/med school over grad programs in specific subjects like engineering and the like)

You'll be amazed at who struggles and who does not. Often, the people who were surprised to get in their first year applying or who feel somehow inadequate (which of course isn't true) try super hard just for those reasons, and end up doing a lot better than the rest ;)

well then stop comparing yourself to others who were accepted/rejected. it's impossible for admissions to be completely fair, and even IF you didn't deserve your acceptance (which i think you did. judging by what you've done you've worked hard and probably wanted it more than a lot of other people) just know that you have the opportunity to do great things and you shouldn't doubt whether or not you should seize that opportunity. be gracious, go for it and don't look back.

The Louisville admissions committee has evaluated FAR more dental school applicants than all of us on SDN combined. I would trust their opinion of whether or not you "deserve" admission. :)

I applied to 11 schools. I only received one interview from Louisville where I did some post grad work and I was accepted in the first round. I'm looking at some of the other people's stats and I really don't think I am worthy of claiming a spot (though of course I'm going to.) I only had a 2.89 in undergrad (Charleston.) I received my Masters degree from Louisville with a 3.5...bringing my cum GPA on AADSAS up to a 3.01 (without +/-) and a 2.97 with +/-. I took my DATs 2 times. First time I had 16/15, second time (2 yrs later) I had 18/18. Nothing spectacular. After looking at some that were rejected, I'm starting to question my worthiness of claiming a spot. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Honestly I think its your attitude... They probably talked with you in your interview and you exuded somebody they wanted representing their school... That can go a lot further a lot of times then just some high scores... You might be the real deal and a genuine person that really wants to take care of people. AFter all we are in a people caring business and at the end of the day treating your patients with compassion is the most important part....

Id be proud and take your spot with no reservation you have worked hard and congrats.....

Your masters helps you out a lot to and shows your at least dedicated and want to do this...

is this a joke?

You have a solid 3.5GPA in a master's degree from the school... why are you surprised?

you have achieved a alot ! never give up !!!

At the practice I used to work at, the only dentist who I would let touch me had a 2.3 undergrad gpa. You're performance in undergrad is not a reflection of your future dental abilities.

Keep your nose to the grindstone, get everything you can out of dental school and be the best dentist you can be.

It's your spot. Take IT. They school though you were worthy, thats all that matters!

Congratulations, RootCanal, for getting accepted. Although you may feel like your stats don't compare well to those of other applicants, just remember that it isn't all about the numbers. When you and your classmates come together next fall, you won't be walking around with GPA's tattooed to your foreheads. What you will contribute to your class is your personality, your attitude, your ambition, and all those other attributes that make up who you are. That is what the admissions committee saw in you, and that is why you were accepted.

By the way, who let the troll out of its cage again?

Keep working hard and you'll get in.

take the spot!! PLUS, I'm sure that the 3.7's that were rejected from there got in elsewhere.

applied to 11 and only got an interview at 1 ? how early/late did you apply for the cycle ?

You weren't until you asked the question.