Am I wasting my time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beckesita

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 2.6 cumulative GPA. By this fall I'll already be a Jr. and hopefully my GPA will have risen to a 2.9/3.0. Is it possible to raise my GPA up to where it would be considered competitive? If schools automatically drop you because of GPA then I might not have a chance regardless of the upward trend in my GPA. (3.9 last semester)
I appreciate your input no matter how brutal.
Thanks
-Beck :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Beckesita:
•I currently have a 2.6 cumulative GPA. By this fall I'll already be a Jr. and hopefully my GPA will have risen to a 2.9/3.0. Is it possible to raise my GPA up to where it would be considered competitive? If schools automatically drop you because of GPA then I might not have a chance regardless of the upward trend in my GPA. (3.9 last semester)
I appreciate your input no matter how brutal.
Thanks
-Beck :confused: •••••No you're definitely not wasting your time! I recall you saying that you had a 2.0 when you were a business major, and then pulled a 3.9 last semester as a bio major. That's impressive! Schools definitely pay more attention to your science GPA than your non science. Also, trust me, the trend in your GPA is crucial, and your upward trend is encouraging. As long as you can keep up the grades, do well on the MCAT, appear well rounded, you'll be ok. Some may give you some flack for messing up your freshman year, but most will overlook it since they're much more concerned about your science grades than your grades in those business courses. Good luck! :)

Thanks Papi, I guess I needed some reassurance.

I know someone who had around 2.7 in her first two years and got a 3.8-3.9 in her junior and senior years who got into USC medical school. So, its definitely possible. Just don't falter at all next semester and you should have a good shot. Kick ass on the MCAT too.