Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Am I Worthy of Med School?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mr_Doc, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Mr_Doc

Mr_Doc Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey, I am currently attending University of Delaware and from New Jersey. I have a 3.1gpa overall. I have not yet taken the MCAT's but plan on getting between a 27-30. I have been working at a doctors office every summer and voulteered at a hospital for 1.5 years. I have not done any research so i was wondering if i will be able to get into med school. any med school in the states is fine, it doesnt have to be top 50 or anything, D.O. is even fine with me. Please help!

2. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Your GPA is low for allo. If you pull your GPA up (either in college or postbac) and do well on the MCAT, then perhaps. Post again when you accomplish these. Good luck.

3. p00psicleSTICK

p00psicleSTICK cat's in the cradle
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think with those stats you'll get rejected from most of the competetive med schools. But I think you can make it to less-competetive ones if you shine in your interviews. Good luck.

4. Mr_Doc

Mr_Doc Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    look down

5. Mr_Doc

Mr_Doc Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

how about D.O? you think i would be able to get into school of osteopathic with my current stats. and if not, what do you suggest i do besides trying to bring my gpa up?

6. Scottish Chap

Physician PhD Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Do well/very well on your MCAT and there's no reason why your state school will not invite you to interview if you have done a lot of other things with your life. Also remember that the medical school "average" GPA and MCAT encompasses matriculants who lie +/- 1-2 standard deviations of that figure. Numbers are important--I make no bones about it--but there's more to your application and more to you. Try not to lose sight of that. Osteopathic medicine is also another fine option (not sure what state you are in).....score >24 and I'll bet you'll hand some osteo interviews. Most of medicine is just commitment and hard work so don't be too discouraged by some posts on SDN. Study hard, and don't let anyone intimidate you. G'luck! :thumbup:

7. SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I had a slightly higher GPA (about 3.3, coming from a school that is very well known for its strong pre-meds) and MCATs slightly higher than the range you cite. My ECs were great - both long term volunteer and a year of research. I only got a few interviews, two waitlists, one acceptance. Each of my waitlists cited my low GPA as a reason for my waitlist. Had my GPA been any lower I probably would not have been accepted. I would seriously consider post-bacc work, a special master's program, and serious MCAT prep. If you rock the MCATs (35+) you will have a much better shot.

8. lattimer13

lattimer13 good boy!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you absolutely have a shot, MD or DO.

9. justskipee

justskipee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

funny wording: "am i worthy of medical school." Sound like Wayne's world. Many people should be able to become doctors, but the system is against those with low numbers.

10. gary5

gary5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

A 3.1 GPA is rather low considering that the average accepted is 3.5. So, you need your MCAT to be as high as possible above the average accepted MCAT of 30. My advice is don't take that MCAT until you're hitting 30+, even if that means postponing until August or even for a year. Studying 10-12 hours/day for months would not be to much to get that MCAT up.

11. Maxprime

Maxprime Higgs chaser
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree 100%. Put yourself in the admissions committee's minds:

You have a TON of applications for few spots. You're looking for people with 3.5's and 30's on average. If you see someone with a 3.1 and you still actually look, if you see anything under a 30 - there's no question. I say that you need to destroy the MCAT and show them you have more potential that hasn't been tapped.

*edit* I just re-read, you have a decent amount of experience so you have a shot. I still say try to kill the MCAT, then you'll know what your chances are.

12. Mr_Doc

Mr_Doc Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    well you see, i do not intent to apply to a top med school but i hear there are med school with average gpa of 3.0-3.3 and mos D.O. schools will take a 3.1-3.3 so im not sure but hopefully everything will work out.

13. gary5

gary5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just get that MCAT score up. There are thousands of other students that want the same slot.

14. SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think you are right about DO schools. However, even the "less competitive" allopathic schools have an average of about 3.3 (I threw out my MSAR when I moved to school). I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to be realistic.

15. bkpa2med

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Mr Doc,
    I believe that if your application is strong and are around the 3.1-3.3 range with an MCAT >27 [which is the national average] that you should have a decent shot. In the end you just never know. I say apply and see what happens. Luck may be on your side during the process. Also, I think many people tend to misunderstand what they "average" means. For example you accept 2 people, 1 = 4.0 and 1 = 3.0, hence your average is 3.5. You really need to look at the standard deviation for GPA and see where you can possibly make it in.

Stay focused and try your hardest because at least you will never regret this later on. I believe that becoming a physician [MD/DO] is the most noble career you can have. Like I said previously stay focused and good luck my friend.

16. Psycho Doctor

Psycho Doctor *** Angel
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    unless you have taken practice tests and always scored 27-30, or God came to you and told you you were getting between a 27-30, how the heck do you know you will get that? you plan on getting that; what if you almost got a 33, would you purposely miss some questions since you planned on getting between a 27-30? what if it's just your dream and you're not capable of getting that score? why do people say they plan on getting a certain score that never made sense to me.

17. BradenDO

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    He could have taken practice tests... I thought the same thing, though, at first. :) But of course, I do plan on getting a 45...

18. Psycho Doctor

Psycho Doctor *** Angel
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sorry if anyone was offended by my post. I just meant that we can't plan anything and know for sure it will happen because we are not ultimately in control. Just give it your best shot without any predetermined expectations.

19. Soon2BENT

Soon2BENT Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    i was just browsing the site.....

look, i had a slightly higher GPA (3.4 if i remember) and lower mcats and i'm about to graduate from med school and go into residency. like they tell us when we apply for residency, apply far and wide. apply to everywhere in NY and NJ as they are you're home areas and would be more likely to take you. if you get into more then 1 place great! if you get into one schoo and its in south dakota, remember why you spent your money (because you want an MD). as and advisor told me before I came to my med school, where you got to med school doesnt matter, what matters is where you do your residency and to get a good residency you have to do well in med school (any med school!). just my two cents...

geez i love 4th year....so much time, so little to do...