Am I wrong for picking pharmacy as a career because it's easier than medicine?

medder

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I have this mental image in my mind -

medicine: work my ass off for 8 years, getting paid next to nothing, then keep working my ass off to make lots of money in a high-stress, liable, and demanding job.

pharmacy: relatively easy education for 4 years, then start making very decent money in a low stress, secure, and regular job.

I realize that you need to pick a job based on what you like, yada yada... but I would rather work to make money (in a low-stress and undemanding environment) and enjoy my time off without being burned out. Am i correct in my assumptions about pharmacy school and career in retail pharmacy?

GatorRxGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2005
Somewhere on the beach.
Status
Pharmacy Student
medder said:

medicine: work my ass off for 8 years, getting paid next to nothing, then keep working my ass off to make lots of money in a high-stress, liable, and demanding job.

pharmacy: relatively easy education for 4 years, then start making very decent money in a low stress, secure, and regular job.

I realize that you need to pick a job based on what you like, yada yada... but I would rather work to make money (in a low-stress and undemanding environment) and enjoy my time off without being burned out. Am i correct in my assumptions about pharmacy school and career in retail pharmacy?

I don't think you should do either because you don't have any concern for patients. I'm sick of people who think pharmacy is so easy and all they want is a paycheck. Keep that attitude and you'll never make it in health care. I suggest you get an MBA and sit in an office where you don't have to have any responsibility for peoples well being.

OP
M

medder

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
actually, the fact that I could give a flip less about patients has no bearing on whether I'll be a 'good' pharmacist or not. I have full confidence that if I pursue pharmacy that I'll be extremely competent at what I do. It's a job that requires intellect and people skills, both of which I have. When I'm advising someone on their meds, I don't think it will make the slightest difference whether I have a deep-set "care" in my heart for their well-being. I'll care for their well-being because it's my job to care.

Do you feel threatened by the number of students entering pharmacy? Is this why you are so discouraging to people who don't have the "right" reasons?

About the Ads

TennisBoy78

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I agree with Medder. GatorRxGirl has good intentions, but doesnt see pharmacy as a business as well. As a pharmacist, it is your job to care about patients and their health, not only because it is good to do so, but happier patients come back to your pharmacy time again.

One example where I could care less about the well-being: One patient has so many animals on medications, and I'm not talking antibiotics either. One has thyroid medicine, one has blood pressure, diabetes, the list goes on and on. Furthermore, everyone at the pharmacy has to hear her ridiculous stories of how her animals are doing on a daily basis. She goes on and on, and she just doesn't get how crazy we think she is. Now, as a pharmacist, you can't say "Who cares about your stupid animals," you have to listen until she's ready to leave.

I see people everyday who are appreciative of your help, and frankly, that's what keeps me going. I could care less about the filling, less about the insurance disputes, etc. You will always have problems, but it is those appreciative customers that make your job satisfying.

It is not like Medder doesn't care about patients. My mom and best friend are both RNs, and they are the best nurses around and will go the extra mile for any patient. However, this does not mean that they are glad to put in long long hours every day and deal with the stresses that other workers, disgruntled patients, supervisors, corporations, paperwork galore, etc. impose on them

Going into healthcare is for people that care. But is the red tape that creates stress.

Shmy2008

What the...?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
I can't even begin to talk about how misguided the assumptions are about the "ease" of pharmacy school. Relatively speaking (when compared to medical school), I suppose pharmacy is "easier." Once engrossed in a pharmacy program, you'd very quickly learn that there's nothing "easy" about it. And yes, its not rocket science, I'll give you that, but I believe it comes down to a respect for yourself and your profession. For example, if you breeze right through pharmacy school, there's no way you're possibly getting anything from it. While that may not be an issue to you now, it will be an issue 20 years from now, when you're filling six hundred prescriptions a day in your "low stress" pharmacy, hating every second of it and wondering why you didn't just go to med school in the first place. Perhaps included on the list of 'relatively speaking' words (like "easy"), we should add "stress" - its all in the eye of the beholder, I suppose...

rxlynn

10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
medder said:

Having worked as a tech in retail for almost 6 years, I will agree with the secure and more regular aspects of pharmacy. The jobs are secure - if you aren't in a position you like, it's easy to move on and find something you do like - very different than with a doctor trying to relocate a practice. Also, hours are generally much more stable than most MD's, I would think - but with one big caveat - if you work retail, you will have to work weekends and holidays.

However, I think that the assumption that retail pharmacy is low stress is really not correct. Have you actually worked in any retail yet? If not, you really owe it to yourself to do that before you make any decisions about pharmacy school vs. med school. Depending on what your store is like, it can be a very stressful job, and your typical retail pharmacist doesn't get anything like the respect that people give to an MD. Also, because you are typically working for a large corporation (as opposed to an MD owning his/her own practice) you don't have as much autonomy over your working conditions, pay, etc.

Retail pharmacy can be very rewarding, but make sure that you can live with the the not-so-desirable aspects in exchange for the nice big paycheck.

rxforlife2004

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
Non-Student
medder said:

Do your research before even asking anything. Medicine (I assume u meant Doctor of Medicine, M.D) takes at least 12 years post high school to practice, and you get paid pretty good (not "next to nothing"): at least 120K or above.

Pharmacy: The trend now seems like at least 7-8 years to get your Pharm.D (no more BS of pharmacy), you make a fair good amount of money too (around 90-100K), but for sure NOT "low stress" as you described. You have to go into retail pharmacy ( a busy store) and see if it's less stress or not. Simple:3 phones are ringing, a line of customers waiting for picking up, 4 cars at drive-through and you're there by yourself (with a tech-who happens to be calling the insurance for a patient at in window, too).
Example in hospital setting: You come in the morning as a clinical pharmacist, today you have 5 doses of Vanco, 1 dose of Gentamicin, 4 new patients admits so u have to do med reconciliations, 2 more new TPNs....

LESS STRESS??? :laugh:

janeno

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you choose pharmacy just purely for the money, then it is a wrong choice... It is definitely easier than medicine, but you have to consider that after you become a pharmacist, your salary does not grow by much... Moreover, it is not the highest paying health care occupation...

Why don't you look into dentistry or optometry?
First of all,both of these fields are higher paying than pharmacy. Schooling takes the same amount as pharmacy.
Second of all, you can set up your own practice, decide your own hours, and make a low stress environemnt for yourself while getting much higher salary than pharmacists...

Also do you want to go to a job EVERY DAY that you completely hate?

Think about this and maybe out of all these different professions you can find something in the middle: something that both gives you enjoyment and pays decently... ( does not necessarily has to be in the health care)

MD2b20004

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2003
Visit site
Status
medder said:

I love honest posters like you. :thumbup:

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
I hate people that are condescending. Here I am thinking I am the biggest dingus on the face of the planet and some prick like you tries to move in on my territory. :mad:

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
medder said:
actually, the fact that I could give a flip less about patients has no bearing on whether I'll be a 'good' pharmacist or not. I have full confidence that if I pursue pharmacy that I'll be extremely competent at what I do. It's a job that requires intellect and people skills, both of which I have. When I'm advising someone on their meds, I don't think it will make the slightest difference whether I have a deep-set "care" in my heart for their well-being. I'll care for their well-being because it's my job to care.

Do you feel threatened by the number of students entering pharmacy? Is this why you are so discouraging to people who don't have the "right" reasons?
Good point. Although, I personally do care about patients and people, you're 100% correct. Regardless of your personal motives, if the patient benifits the only person hurt is the jealous guy with less talent than you.

And no, it doesn't matter wtf you wanna do and why. Its YOUR decision and YOUR life. If it just so happens that your decisions come back to bite you in the butt later in life, your problem--of course, some people will argue here and say that government has an obligation to take care of people who make wrong decisions:rolleyes:

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
Dallas, TX
Status
WVUPharm2007 said:
I hate people that are condescending. Here I am thinking I am the biggest dingus on the face of the planet and some prick like you tries to move in on my territory. :mad:

You need more practice...Grasshopper. You have much to learn..

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
Oh yeah? You smell!

About the Ads

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
Like a bunch concentrated KCL on a paper cut. Yeah. You know what I'm talking about.

Bad memories... :(

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
Dallas, TX
Status
WVUPharm2007 said:
Like a bunch concentrated KCL on a paper cut. Yeah. You know what I'm talking about.

Bad memories... :(

I may smell...but you're an idiot if you put concentrated KCL on your paper cut...

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
Forgot to wear gloves. The funny thing is that there is this old guy there that's been there since the 60s - he's, like, 65. Everyone in the main room hears me scream - he's just like, "That boy's fine, he probably just got some electrolytes on an open sore. That kid just ain't right, I tell you." True story.

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
Dallas, TX
Status
WVUPharm2007 said:
Forgot to wear gloves. The funny thing is that there is this old guy there that's been there since the 60s - he's, like, 65. Everyone in the main room hears me scream - he's just like, "That boy's fine, he probably just got some electrolytes on an open sore. That kid just ain't right, I tell you." True story.

That's nothing.. When I was an intern..I was drawing up saline into a 60 CC syringe with a 16 g needle... and I was pulling on the plunger so hard... but the syringe slid out of my hand and the needle sliced the my hand from top to bottom.. deep.

I didn't scream...cuz I'm tough.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
I didn't scream...cuz I'm tough.
Uh huh. You prolly didn't scream because you fainted.

BaZing.

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
Dallas, TX
Status
WVUPharm2007 said:
Uh huh. You prolly didn't scream because you fainted.

BaZing.
No I didn't faint...but the other interns all fainted when they saw the profuse bleeding from my hand.

DuocSi2010

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
hahhahaa you guys are hilarious. Totally off-topic but funny :laugh:

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
How the hell did this wind up on the prepharm forum? They aren't good enough for Zpak-WVU dialogues.

drhemi70

10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2005
Status
Because Tennis BOY here is looking for the easiest least painful route into the profession of pharmacy. TENNIS, DID YOU SEE THAT WORD PROFESSION. Better go look up the meaning, it is people like you who end up running a pharmacy as a manager and only hire two techs and one pharmacist to fill 600 scripts a day. Why BECAUSE YOU AS THE MANAGER WANT TO LOOK GOOD FOR YOUR BOSS AND YOU WANT TO TAKE HOME A BIGGER PAYCHECK. You will kill your staff becuase you don't care about them or your patients. All you care about is the money in your pocket. TAKE THE ADVICE OF A PREVIOUS POSTER GET AN MBA AND BECOME A DAY-TRADER OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. WE HAVE NO NEED OR WANT FOR A PERSON LIKE YOU IN THIS PROFESSION. I HOPE YOU NEVER GET INTO PHARMACY SCHOOL.
DR

imperial frog

Pharm.D
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2004
Outside your bedroom window.
Status
ZpackSux said:
That's nothing.. When I was an intern..I was drawing up saline into a 60 CC syringe with a 16 g needle... and I was pulling on the plunger so hard... but the syringe slid out of my hand and the needle sliced the my hand from top to bottom.. deep.
So you were the hand model for that lab safety film that they showed us at the start of every semester!!!

drhemi70

10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2005
Status
I may have picked the wrong place to flame you but I am tired of reading your whiny posts here is a sampling of titles you have posted lately.

Negotiate pre-req waivers if you have a bachelors?
Where do I find non-PCAT schools?
When is it time to call it quits in retaking the PCAT?
Where do I find non-PCAT schools?
How do you study for the PCAT in a Month?
Any stories of scores jumping up a lot on second attempt?
How much does a PCAT score affect the decision process?

See my point. Then to see you agree with the original post in this tread got me mad. Here you are asking for all our advice on how to get into school and all you want to do is make money? If pharmacy is so easy to do once you get into school why are you asking these kinds of questions? I have seen in previous posts that you say you are not a great test taker. Well if you want to do well on the PCAT so that you can get in, then you know that you need to sit down and spend a bunch of time to figure out how to take the test well.

I think if you were motivated by other forces than money you wouldn't be asking these kinds of questions. You would balls up and get'er done and stop acting like a boy and more like a MAN.
DR

AND THE FLAMING ENDS

About the Ads