Am I'm being too optimistic!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr Rehab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I would love the feedback...positive or negative doesn't matter...

I am currently a senior about to graduate in May 2012...I was planning on applying for the 2012 cycle, but did not due to a sub 20 MCAT score. My preparation for the MCAT consisted of less than 8 hours a week of studying that was constantly interrupted. Honestly, I had the worse standardized testing experience ever when I took the MCAT. But anywhooo...I transferred from a four year institution where I played college football for two seasons. My gpa suffered due to that which is okay and part of the reason why I transferred to get a new start (I know AMCAS looks at all GPAs and grades). So here is a rundown of my statistics!

CUMGPA with both colleges (3.4)
SCIGPA (3.0)
MCAT: Sub 20 but will definitely be retaking the exam
Extracurriculars:
President of a Peer-Educating/Community Service Student Organization (2 years)
EMT-B (2 years)
Nurses Aide (Paid Employment) 1/2 year
Resident Assistant (Paid Employment) 1 year
Physical Therapist Aide (1 Summer)
Clinical Research with Childhood Obesity and Physical Activity (1 Semester)
College Football (2 Seasons)

That's pretty much the gist of it all, let me know what you guys think...I appreciate the feebback!

Members don't see this ad.

Sub 3.0 science + sub-20 MCAT asking for MD? Not going to happen. You'll need an SMP and at least a 33 to be taken seriously.

And just in case, no, D.O. school won't accept you either. Only difference is if you hit a 28 and get the sGPA to at least a 3.2 you could have a chance. Nothing set in stone.

Sub 3.0 science + sub-20 MCAT asking for MD? Not going to happen. You'll need an SMP and at least a 33 to be taken seriously.

And just in case, no, D.O. school won't accept you either. Only difference is if you hit a 28 and get the sGPA to at least a 3.2 you could have a chance. Nothing set in stone.

I was seriously considering an SMP program, but had some reservations due to the fact that most of these programs are really really pricey with no hard guarantee that medical school is the next step. Do you have any insight on the SMP programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
You may at this point even struggle getting into the more successful SMP programs. I'd consider (in addition to doing whatever it takes for you to significantly improve upon your MCAT score) at least a semester or two of gpa boosting. If you are considering D.O., then grade replacement is a viable option.

Either way, applying this upcoming cycle would probably be a waste of your time and money. Once you get your mcat and gpa in better standing, your EC's look solid. Good luck

I am currently a senior about to graduate in May 2012...I was planning on applying for the 2012 cycle, but did not due to a sub 20 MCAT score. My preparation for the MCAT consisted of less than 8 hours a week of studying that was constantly interrupted. Honestly, I had the worse standardized testing experience ever when I took the MCAT. But anywhooo...I transferred from a four year institution where I played college football for two seasons. My gpa suffered due to that which is okay and part of the reason why I transferred to get a new start (I know AMCAS looks at all GPAs and grades). So here is a rundown of my statistics!

CUMGPA with both colleges (3.4)
SCIGPA (3.0)
MCAT: Sub 20 but will definitely be retaking the exam
Extracurriculars:
President of a Peer-Educating/Community Service Student Organization (2 years)
EMT-B (2 years)
Nurses Aide (Paid Employment) 1/2 year
Resident Assistant (Paid Employment) 1 year
Physical Therapist Aide (1 Summer)
Clinical Research with Childhood Obesity and Physical Activity (1 Semester)
College Football (2 Seasons)

That's pretty much the gist of it all, let me know what you guys think...I appreciate the feebback!
The last time we "talked" you reported you had a 3.5/3.2 for your stats. If true, and you now have lower stats (3.4/3.0), then you have a downward grade trend. Do not apply with a downward grade trend. It looks bad. Get that sGPA up higher. Consider retaking any low grades in prerequisites to take advantage of the grade forgiveness policy for DO, as well as earning great grades in upper-level science on the first try, to prove you can do it.

Alternatively, if you can only be happy with an MD, re-establish a steep upward grade trend (same as above) and get into an SMP if you can get an MCAT socre > 30.