AMA about Podiatric Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I'll be hosting an Ask Me Anything with the Dean of Western next Tuesday. Here's the info on how to join.

What: Drs. Lee Rogers and Lawrence Harkless will be hosting an "ask me anything" (AMA) about podiatric education, board certification, and the future of the profession on Facebook Live from Western University of Health Sciences.

When: Tuesday, May 16 at 4 PM Pacific (7 PM Eastern)

Where: ABPM Facebook Page
American Board of Podiatric Medicine - ABPM

Who:

Dr. Lee Rogers is a Board of Directors member of the American Board of Podiatric Medicine (ABPM). He completed a fellowship in diabetic limb salvage. He has published over 150 articles or book chapters and delivered more than 400 lectures around the world on diabetic foot complications. Dr. Rogers work has been quoted in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and US News and World Report.

Dr. Lawrence Harkless is the Founding Dean of the College of Podiatric Medicine at Western University of Health Sciences and board certified by the ABPM. Dr. Harkless is a national expert on podiatric medical education and the diabetic foot. He has been a leader in podiatric education at all levels; podiatric college, post-graduate residency, and continuing medical education.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
We'll be on FB Live in 2 days, answering any questions about podiatry. Dr. Harkless recently announced his retirement, so you'll get a lifetime of perspective behind this forecast into the future of podiatry.

Reactions: 2 users
Will there be a way to read the transcript or watch the video afterward, for those of us that are working at that time?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That was very insightful Dr Rogers, thanks for putting this together. I was wondering if you could elaborate on the idea of "hospital podiatrist"? The closest to this would be podiatrists that primary admit and manage patients with diabetic foot infection which some are doing. Do you see this becoming more mainstream?

What did y'all think?
I thought it was very insightful, Dr. Harkless echoed a lot of things he said to us at the beginning of our interview day. He definitely had me fired up and feeling passionate about the field. Even if you don't plan to attend Western I think interviewing there is worth just getting to speak with Dr. Harkless.

Reactions: 1 users
Really enjoyed the discussion.

Couple thoughts:
Did he end up doing a residency? I might have missed that portion.

I think his dismissal of surgery so quickly might upset some students, especially since we are required to do a 3 year residency. I agree with him that preventive medicine is gonna play a major role in podiatry going foreword and will help make us marketable to hospitals. I think whoever engineered the 3 year mandatory residency was right too, it gives us ligetemancy in medicine.

Really enjoyed the discussion.

Couple thoughts:
Did he end up doing a residency? I might have missed that portion.

I think his dismissal of surgery so quickly might upset some students, especially since we are required to do a 3 year residency. I agree with him that preventive medicine is gonna play a major role in podiatry going foreword and will help make us marketable to hospitals. I think whoever engineered the 3 year mandatory residency was right too, it gives us ligetemancy in medicine.
He did his internship at UT San Antonio and residency at Atlanta Hospital and Medical Center.

Reactions: 1 user
How exactly does a hospitalist podiatrist work? Do they just go and visit patients in the rooms during rounds?

I am well aware of podiatrists on staff at hospitals, and I think that with the training that they offer can make the hospital quite a bit of money, but what is the purpose of having a "hospitalist podiatrist"? Can Internal Med do all the stuff we do for diabetics?

AttackNME, hospitalist podiatry is mostly related to the diabetic foot, since that's the area of greatest need. It is already mainstream, but becoming more common.

How exactly does a hospitalist podiatrist work? Do they just go and visit patients in the rooms during rounds?

I am well aware of podiatrists on staff at hospitals, and I think that with the training that they offer can make the hospital quite a bit of money, but what is the purpose of having a "hospitalist podiatrist"? Can Internal Med do all the stuff we do for diabetics?

They're either a hospital employee, university employee, or private with an agreement to provide services in the hospital. In the case of the diabetic foot, they're usually working in the wound center some days in the week and the OR the rest. Hospital rounds are daily, but don't consume the entire time. IM aren't experts on the diabetic foot and don't have surgical privileges, which are needed for this group of patients.