AMA Alliance discussion - "Living, not just surviving on student loans"

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please visit the AMA Alliance forum to get information about the organization and advice from current AMA Alliance leaders.

The current topic of discussion is "
Living, not just surviving on student loans". http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=300

Members don't see this ad.

My husband and I are far from having to live off student loans but are planning to cut our budget significantly to start saving for med school a few years from now, especially since I plan to stay at home with our future children while he is in school. Meal planning is the KEY with groceries! Since there is only the two of us right now, we are able to get away with only cooking three or four times a week and eat leftovers the rest of the time. Leftovers are great! Stay away from cold cereals for breakfast- these are EXPENSIVE! Instead we eat oatmeal or homemade Museli - yummy! Also Ezekial toast with peanut butter. Keep things simple. We usually avoid a starch for dinner (no bread, especially) and just have a protein and veggie. Spaghetti is a lifesaver! Trader Joe's is awesome for natural/organic food, and Costco has good/cheap seafood. We don't eat alot of meat at all, if we do it is usally chicken. Learn to enjoy soups and casseroles! Don't eat processed foods or packaged junk - it's bad for your health and wallet! You can also make your own cleaning solutions out of bulk vinegar, water and tea tree oil. For entertainment we go on walks or to the dog park with our dogs, lots of hiking, hang out with parents/family, and go to the gym. One of our favorite activities, however, is heading to Barnes and Nobel's or Borders (Bookstores) and reading all the books! The library is great for cheap entertainment! Check out the website flylady.net for good, cheap living idea. When you Google "living simply" or something along those lines, you should come up with great ideas! I am interested in any additional ideas people have! P.S. If you have grandparents/parents/friends that lived through the Depression - talk to them! The best cheap living ideas come from the people who have TRULY lived VERY poor!