AMA changing how usmle step1 is scored into a pass/fail system?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Brk

Reaction score
I read somewhere on reddit that the AMA is considering that then i googled a bit and found a pdf from the AMA website(i cant link it for some reason) so now i dont know what to think or how this will affect imgs in the future. How will people be evaluated for Residencies if the STEP1 score is a pass/fail and one part of the step2 is already pass/fail ?. will that mean imgs will be in a worse place than they already are?

Members don't see this ad.

will that mean imgs will be in a worse place than they already are?

Depends on their Step score. If the IMG scores a 260 it will certainly hurt them. If they scored a <200 it would probably help, but certainly wouldn't hurt. Overall I'd guess it would probably hurt as it would take away one of the few ways they have to really stand out.

Depends on their Step score. If the IMG scores a 260 it will certainly hurt them. If they scored a <200 it would probably help, but certainly wouldn't hurt. Overall I'd guess it would probably hurt as it would take away one of the few ways they have to really stand out.
Ah i see , but since out grades in med school cant be compared to us schools , how can we even compete for spots then? Its really confusing

Sent from my SM-J701F using SDN mobile

The AMA does not have the power to change how the board exams work, the NBME does. The AMA made a resolution to discuss some possible changes to the USMLE exams, one of which was having a meeting with the stakeholders to consider the possibility of doing a study about transitioning to a different scoring system. Note how nebulous/wishy-washy all that language is. It will not be happening anytime soon.
Thanks alot for the clarification,much appreciated

Sent from my SM-J701F using SDN mobile