Other OT-Related Information AMA: Columbia MOT Graduate 2015 // 4 year OT // CI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HueyNewtonOT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
this forum helped me out a lot during my application process, hope I can give some feedback myself to help others out.

please feel free to ask anything OT school/therapy/student loan related.

when I applied to school 22 y/o male, gpa 3.42 (3.92 for major) Pre-Req GPA: 3.5 ~ 3 months of shadowing hours for OT // food pantry/low SES tutoring // bomb personal statement and letters of recommendations-- was accepted to my only two applications NYU and Columbia

currently work in south florida at two big hospitals down here and paid off 76,000 in student loans to be debt free. leaving florida in april to start travel therapy.

ask away. i'll get back as soon as I can.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
this forum helped me out a lot during my application process, hope I can give some feedback myself to help others out.

please feel free to ask anything OT school/therapy/student loan related.

when I applied to school 22 y/o male, gpa 3.42 (3.92 for major) Pre-Req GPA: 3.5 ~ 3 months of shadowing hours for OT // food pantry/low SES tutoring // bomb personal statement and letters of recommendations-- was accepted to my only two applications NYU and Columbia

currently work in south florida at two big hospitals down here and paid off 76,000 in student loans to be debt free. leaving florida in april to start travel therapy.

ask away. i'll get back as soon as I can.
I’m likely attending Columbia in the fall and I was curious how long it took for you to be debt free? I’m also thinking of applying for the DOE scholarship to avoid any debt, but I want to also plan for the chance that I don’t get the scholarship. I’d love to hear more about you financial aid/ debt experiences with Columbia because it looks like a wonderful yet expensive :/ program.
Thanks in advance :)

I’m likely attending Columbia in the fall and I was curious how long it took for you to be debt free? I’m also thinking of applying for the DOE scholarship to avoid any debt, but I want to also plan for the chance that I don’t get the scholarship. I’d love to hear more about you financial aid/ debt experiences with Columbia because it looks like a wonderful yet expensive :/ program.
Thanks in advance :)

Hey! sorry for the delay did not get a chance to get to the computer.

To become debt free it was a process.

1. I DID take out minimum loans needed at the lowest rates possible, all government loans, no private. About 4 years which also included living on my own, helping my mom who had a stroke, and financing a car. I made many mistakes but its the growth. Paying off my loans could have been quicker if I stayed Per diem rate in two places because I dont have a family of my own.

Applying to the DOE Is a great route I would say because of the trade off and the fact that your summers will be super flexible. You can work or take off or have a combination of working in the DOE during summer or other populations.

3.) please PM me about specifics for your situation if you have any. Columbia is VERY expensive two fold because NYC Is expensive. If you have the chance to go to a less expensive school and cost of living area. I would NOT think twice despite how good the education, Colubmia prestige may appear.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! sorry for the delay did not get a chance to get to the computer.

To become debt free it was a process.

1. I DID take out minimum loans needed at the lowest rates possible, all government loans, no private. About 4 years which also included living on my own, helping my mom who had a stroke, and financing a car. I made many mistakes but its the growth. Paying off my loans could have been quicker if I stayed Per diem rate in two places because I dont have a family of my own.

Applying to the DOE Is a great route I would say because of the trade off and the fact that your summers will be super flexible. You can work or take off or have a combination of working in the DOE during summer or other populations.

3.) please PM me about specifics for your situation if you have any. Columbia is VERY expensive two fold because NYC Is expensive. If you have the chance to go to a less expensive school and cost of living area. I would NOT think twice despite how good the education, Colubmia prestige may appear.
Thank you so much for all this helpful info!