1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

AMA manual of style?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Long Dong, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Long Dong

Long Dong My middle name is Duc.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm going to post this here in the pre-all because I know alot of you undergrads are really smart, and because pre-allo gets alot more traffic then allo. So I hope the mods let this thread slide cuz I need help asap, cuz in a few hours I have to turn this paper in to my PI.

Okay gotto write something. In the journal I want to submit to they have "text .... study by Joe shmoe et al.^1 showed ..." also have it as ".... study by Joe Shmoe et al. showed that .....concluded.^1"

MY question is does the superscript go after the et al. or at the end of the sentence? Also other journals I'm reading have the et al. and others have et al w/o the period. One more question the et al. is some times italicized and some times is not depending on the journal, which way should I do it for an american journal.

Please help a brother out and try to get this dam thing done right. :scared:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DR. EUGENIC

DR. EUGENIC Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    This thread does not comply with the SDN compliance codes..therefore this thread is now CLOSED...

our regards
    -staff

4. Long Dong

Long Dong My middle name is Duc.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    huh?

5. Blue Planet

Blue Planet Statistics Major
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You would put the superscript 1 at the end of the sentence, as the citation refers to the information contained in the entire sentence.

As for the rules regarding the use of et al, it depends on the publication. Some require it to be italicized, some require periods. However, not using the periods or italics is becoming de rigeur these days. So, you can choose whichever formatting style you feel is appropriate.

6. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Actually, the Uniform Guidelines that apply to JAMA and other Biomedical journals (also called Vancouver style) specify that in the manuscript you use the arabic numerals in parenthesis, not superscript.

Also et al. is a Latin abbreviation of a phrase meaning "and others" generally, if you are writing in English you use the term "and colleagues" rather than this phrase which is not used in biomedical publications except in the bibliography (called References).

So,

Joe Shmo and colleagues showed that .... and concluded that more research is necessary. (1)