AMA pushes for probes of walk-in clinics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForbiddenComma

Tanned for Bowling
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is sure to shed a little sunshine into the grumpy heart of a certain SDN user named after a TV action star.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/health/1500AP_AMA_Store_Clinics.html

"The nation's largest physicians' group on Monday adopted a resolution vowing to seek an investigation after several AMA doctors complained that the clinics interfere with the traditional practice of medicine.

The AMA wants state and federal agencies to look into whether pharmacy chain-owned clinics located in the stores urge patients to get their prescriptions filled on site, which the AMA maintains would pose a conflict. It also said that insurance companies should be banned from waiving or lowering co-payments only for patients who get treatment at store-based clinics."

What surprised me was the part about the AMA actually performing a function besides sending out newsletters.

Members don't see this ad.

This is sure to shed a little sunshine into the grumpy heart of a certain SDN user named after a TV action star.

"The nation's largest physicians' group on Monday adopted a resolution vowing to seek an investigation after several AMA doctors complained that the clinics interfere with the traditional practice of medicine.

The AMA wants state and federal agencies to look into whether pharmacy chain-owned clinics located in the stores urge patients to get their prescriptions filled on site, which the AMA maintains would pose a conflict. It also said that insurance companies should be banned from waiving or lowering co-payments only for patients who get treatment at store-based clinics."

What surprised me was the part about the AMA actually performing a function besides sending out newsletters.

Yeah, but it's ok for doctors to be on the pay roll of pharmaceutical companies and prescribe their patients medications made by the same companies?

AMA, useless as always. Yeah, who cares about patient convenience. I'm sure 80 year olds hate being able to go to one place for their visit and pharmacy trip (and other shopping)

Yeah, but it's ok for doctors to be on the pay roll of pharmaceutical companies and prescribe their patients medications made by the same companies?

Specious argument. Nurse practitioners, who staff these clinics, can (and do) speak for drug companies, as well.

I'm sure 80 year olds hate being able to go to one place for their visit and pharmacy trip (and other shopping)

80-year-olds, typically with multiple, complex chronic diseases, have no business getting their care at store-based clinics. Thanks for proving the point.

Members don't see this ad :)
So why doesn't the AMA think that oncologists dispensing chemotherapy is a conflict? Or physician owned outpatient surgery centers? Surely this kind of stuff has led to just as much injudicious EPO use, or excessive tonsillectomies and myringotomy tubes, to the similar degree that in-store clinics lead to excessive prescriptions for antibiotics or cough medicine.

I don't see these clinics as a threat. Neither should the AMA. People who take their health seriously will go to a doctor's office. People that don't are welcome to receive advice from the Wal-Mart nurse. The AMA looks disingenuous and hypocritical, they would have been better served to follow the lead of most primary care physicians (and level-headed SDNers:thumbup:) and ignored the whole trend.

Specious argument. Nurse practitioners, who staff these clinics, can (and do) speak for drug companies, as well.

80-year-olds, typically with multiple, complex chronic diseases, have no business getting their care at store-based clinics. Thanks for proving the point.

yeah, because all 80 year olds are infirm and have multiple chronic illnesses.

So why doesn't the AMA think that oncologists dispensing chemotherapy is a conflict? Or physician owned outpatient surgery centers? Surely this kind of stuff has led to just as much injudicious EPO use, or excessive tonsillectomies and myringotomy tubes, to the similar degree that in-store clinics lead to excessive prescriptions for antibiotics or cough medicine.

I don't see these clinics as a threat. Neither should the AMA. People who take their health seriously will go to a doctor's office. People that don't are welcome to receive advice from the Wal-Mart nurse. The AMA looks disingenuous and hypocritical, they would have been better served to follow the lead of most primary care physicians (and level-headed SDNers:thumbup:) and ignored the whole trend.

agreed.

By the AMA's own stupid logic, a surgeon shouldn't perform surgery on his own patient, because he'll get paid for the surgery and therefore recommending the surgery is a conflict of interest.

I am a lot more concerned about the "clinicas malpractica" that we have here, than about conflict of interest at the in store clinics. For those not in LA (or other places where they have these things), they lure in the poor by offering an "consultation" for cheap. They then decide you need all kinds of in-clinic testing that drives up the cost. Then they tell you that you need medications and vitamins (that they sell you in the clinic as well). Most of the patients I have seen that come from these places weren't getting appropriate care (they have ended up at the county medical facilities, so I guess its a biased sample).

Someone that goes to an in store clinic is clearly looking for convenience, and probably has already made the decision to use their pharmacy for their healthcare needs. However, the store isn't forcing them to use their pharmacy. I don't see any reason they in store provider would be any more inclined to prescribe meds, as long as they aren't getting a percentage of pharmacy sales as a kickback.

Yes, the AMA is performing the noble function of using government to protect its special interests from competition. Kudos to the clinics for interfering with the practice of "traditional medicine".

This article sums it up nicely.