AMA - Rising DS3 at UTHSCSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BellaNella

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently between second and third year at UTHSCSA and finally have some free time. Ask me anything!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What is your best salsa recipe?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Woooo thanks for doing this I'm about to start my first year this July! Just got back today from SA from moving into my apartment.

1. Best advice you can give to first years?
2. Schedule shows class is generally ~8am-4pm every day. What do your days look like after 4 when out of class?
3. Not too concerned but some sdn users make it sound like faculty and students don't get along.. is it actually true or are some students being dramatic?

Thanks! Also ate at la fogata last night.. yay or nay!?

What do you like and dislike most about the school?

Overall, I have had a really good experience at UTHSCSA so far. But everyone is different; there are people in our class that don't feel the same way I do.
I like the majority of our faculty and I really feel like I am getting a top notch education. We get our butts kicked in school and the program can be rigorous but I would rather have a difficult time while in school than have my butt kicked in practice.

The one thing I dislike is that we don't really get a lot of clinical experience (other than sim lab) before third year where we jump into clinic and pretty much hit the ground running. I wish we could be eased into it little by little second year. From what I have heard, Houston eases their students into clinic pretty early.

That being said, If I could go back in time I would choose to go to UTHSCSA again.

Woooo thanks for doing this I'm about to start my first year this July! Just got back today from SA from moving into my apartment.

1. Best advice you can give to first years?
2. Schedule shows class is generally ~8am-4pm every day. What do your days look like after 4 when out of class?
3. Not too concerned but some sdn users make it sound like faculty and students don't get along.. is it actually true or are some students being dramatic?

Thanks! Also ate at la fogata last night.. yay or nay!?

1. My best advice for DS1s is to just keep you head up! I personally hated first semester of first year and actually dreaded going to school some days, which is completely unlike me because I tend to be a positive person. But it does get better! We did have a change in faculty between my DS1 year (2013) and last year (2014) and it seemed to not be as bad, so that is good for you guys! Just keep up with your work and don't try to cram for your big 3 classes first semester (Histo, Biochem, and Gross).
Other than that, make sure to give yourself breaks from studying to keep your sanity. I personally never studied on Friday after school unless I was planning to take Saturday off. It is a good time to unwind after Gross lab. Everyone in your class is going through the same thing and it really brings everyone together!

2. After class I try to go to the gym to take a little break and then I usually study. During second semester of first year and all of second year we had at least about 2 or 3 exams a week, so I was constantly studying for the next one. You get used to it and it did not end up being as bad as I thought it would be. Some nights I would go into lab and practice for practicals or catch up on lab work, but that was mostly second year.

3. Everyone is different and some faculty members are more approachable than others. Overall, I feel like if you try your best and are willing to do the work, the faculty will be there for you when you need help. If you are lazy and don't know what is going on because you didn't keep up with the work, then it is understandable that faculty will not want to help you.
That is just my experience!

I haven't been to la fogata! But feel free to PM me for anything! Welcome to SA!

What made you decide SA over the other Texas dental schools?

This may seem dumb but I mostly went with my gut feeling and off of the vibe I got while at the schools. I knew I would get a good education at either of the 3 and just wanted to be sure that I would be happy at the program I attended; 4 years is a long time to be unhappy.

I know people that went to Baylor and people that went to Houston that are happy at their respective programs. I chose the school that I felt was the best fit for me.

How many of your classmates come from Out of State? Do I even stand a chance? Would love to live in Texas.

How many of your classmates come from Out of State? Do I even stand a chance? Would love to live in Texas.

I think about 5 people in our class are OOS. So in general Texas schools are OOS-unfriendly but I don't think it would hurt for you to apply! Especially with your phenomenal DAT score. The OOS students in my class actually got a "scholarship" that brought their OOS tuition down to the same amount as our in-state, which I think is awesome!

Reactions: 1 users
The Russian guy is the coolest dude in town

I think about 5 people in our class are OOS. So in general Texas schools are OOS-unfriendly but I don't think it would hurt for you to apply! Especially with your phenomenal DAT score. The OOS students in my class actually got a "scholarship" that brought their OOS tuition down to the same amount as our in-state, which I think is awesome!
Hi! my question sounds dumb(which it is), but do I have to be in very good physical shape? Are all your classmates good shape as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! my question sounds dumb(which it is), but do I have to be in very good physical shape? Are all your classmates good shape as well?

I don't think a school could discriminate based on your physical shape. I wouldn't necessarily say that all my classmates are in good shape but maybe a little more health conscious than the general population because we are going into a health profession. A good amount of my classmates work out but it is more of a de-stressor and a personal choice than something a school would look for when accepting students.

I don't think a school could discriminate based on your physical shape. I wouldn't necessarily say that all my classmates are in good shape but maybe a little more health conscious than the general population because we are going into a health profession. A good amount of my classmates work out but it is more of a de-stressor and a personal choice than something a school would look for when accepting students.
Thanks gunter!

I'm really torn between UTHSCSA or Baylor did you have any other reasons why you chose UTHSCSA or would recommend over Baylor. I like the fact that Baylor is cheaper by a significant difference however my brother went to UTHSCSA and I would rather live in San Antonio however don't know much about the schools themselves.
Thanks in advance

I'm really torn between UTHSCSA or Baylor did you have any other reasons why you chose UTHSCSA or would recommend over Baylor. I like the fact that Baylor is cheaper by a significant difference however my brother went to UTHSCSA and I would rather live in San Antonio however don't know much about the schools themselves.
Thanks in advance

Initially I was leaning toward Baylor because I would have preferred to live in Dallas over SA, mostly because Dallas is a larger city and that is what I am used to. I knew that I would get a good education at either. When I interviewed at Baylor, I just felt like the students did not seem happy or enthusiastic about their school at all. I personally did not feel a connection with the school and one of the interviewers really rubbed me the wrong way. I could not see myself being happy there.

Have you interviewed yet? If you haven't, I would just interview at both with an open mind and if you still can't decide you can always do a pro/con list. In the end I was weighing pros and cons for SA vs. Houston because those were the 2 programs I felt like I could be happy in. Sorry I could not be more help!

I have heard some negative things about SA. There really isn't a 'family' like environment like Baylor and Houston. It's hostile at times. People are not as willing to help and etc. Fortunately, you had a great experience! Did you notice any of the negative things that I mentioned?

I have heard some negative things about SA. Like there really isn't a 'family' like environment like Baylor and Houston. It's hostile at times. People are not as willing to help and etc. Fortunately, you had a great experience! Did you notice any of the negative things that I mentioned?

I guess schools all have their good and bad but I personally have had a really good experience so far. I feel like my class is my family and that we help each other out. It probably depends on a class by class basis but I really enjoy my class dynamic. Of course there will always be groups or cliques and people that are willing to help more than other people but that is how life is; some people will mesh with each other better than others.
I have made many friends in dental school that I know will be life long friends just due to what we have been through together and I wouldn't change that for anything.

I guess schools all have their good and bad but I personally have had a really good experience so far. I feel like my class is my family and that we help each other out. It probably depends on a class by class basis but I really enjoy my class dynamic. Of course there will always be groups or cliques and people that are willing to help more than other people but that is how life is; some people will mesh with each other better than others.
I have made many friends in dental school that I know will be life long friends just due to what we have been through together and I wouldn't change that for anything.

Very true. Thanks a lot!
One last thing. Are there any research papers that you must type? I know SA is big on research and wasn't sure if they included research into their curriculum.

Very true. Thanks a lot!
One last thing. Are there any research papers that you must type? I know SA is big on research and wasn't sure if they included research into their curriculum.

No, research isn't mandatory or included in our curriculum. We do have a summer research program that you can participate in but it is completely optional.
There is an evidence based dentistry course in our curriculum but lots of other schools have that as well.

No, research isn't mandatory or included in our curriculum. We do have a summer research program that you can participate in but it is completely optional.
There is an evidence based dentistry course in our curriculum but lots of other schools have that as well.

Gotcha. Thank you! and best of luck with your last 2 years! :)

How would say the interview was at SA? How is student life in terms of time for activities/etc? What is each year like?

At SA you have 2 interviews - one with a faculty member and one with a dental student. When I interviewed in 2012, It was the only TX school that had student interviews but I am not sure how it is now. Other than that it is your normal interview day that includes an orientation, lunch with some of the dental students, interviews, and tour (not necessarily in that order).
Student life has its ups and downs. DS1 first semester does not have as many exams as second semester of DS1 and DS2 year. Of course when you have a week that has 3 or 4 exams (mostly when you are a DS2) you will probably not do anything during the weekend. But you get used to taking lots of exams and practicals and I made sure I would at least go to dinner or get drinks during the weekend to take a mental break.
The more you go through dental school, the better you become at time management and figuring out what type of breaks you can take. You also get better, more efficient, and faster at studying.

How well prepared do you feel SA prepared you for your boards? I'm quite happy with being a general dentist, but I want to keep my options open as much as possible and I know rankings/board scores are very important. In addition, you said that you are exposed later to the clinical side of things. Do you think this may hinder you when you graduate?
Also, you mentioned research is available during the summer. Do you know of any students doing research during the fall/spring along with their classes?

How well prepared do you feel SA prepared you for your boards? I'm quite happy with being a general dentist, but I want to keep my options open as much as possible and I know rankings/board scores are very important. In addition, you said that you are exposed later to the clinical side of things. Do you think this may hinder you when you graduate?
Also, you mentioned research is available during the summer. Do you know of any students doing research during the fall/spring along with their classes?

Dental boards are now P/F and we don't get a score at all. Generally 2 or 3 out of the class do not pass Part I their first time taking it. I did not have any issues passing it and felt well prepared.

At UTHSCSA we start clinic our 3rd year. We do have experience assisting and do rotations our first and second years but third year is when we are officially in clinic and dive right in. I feel like UTHSCSA prepares its students to be good clinicians and am not afraid of this hindering me in the future. My biggest issue is that its a very sudden jump from not having patients to seeing patients every day. In pre-clinic we are held to high standards so that the faculty is sure that we are ready for clinic.

I do not know of any students doing research during the fall or spring but there are students that do continue working on their summer projects if they did not have sufficient time to finish during the summer. Students that participate in the summer research program usually prepare a poster or an oral presentation to present at the AADR the following spring semester. I participated in the research program the summer after first year and really enjoyed it!

hi I was looking at older threads about uthscsa and I noticed how many people failed or kick out. Have you seen anyone been dismissed from your class?