Ama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epidural man

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many are members?

Apparently (according the the CMS rep that spoke at ASRA last fall), if we are not a paying member of the AMA, we can't complaint AT ALL about pain reimbursements.

Apparently, the AMA is the ONLY people that have a voice to CMS - and if there aren't pain guys saying what is needed, it doesn't get said. So what we have are neurosurgeons determining what we get paid and CPT codes and stuff.

I guess I should start paying my AMA dues. BLAH....never thought I would care, but this guy made a lot of sense.

Members don't see this ad.

really...

i am not an AMA member - i was years ago, but the AMA did not seem to ever represent any interests other than those of the surgeons that dominated its panels.

really...

i am not an AMA member - i was years ago, but the AMA did not seem to ever represent any interests other than those of the surgeons that dominated its panels.

If surgeons pay the dues, they will sit on panels and represent their own.

That is why we need to pay dues and get on panels and get asked to represent.

Otherwise, we get what the surgeons want us to get.

Members don't see this ad :)
The CMS representative encouraged membership to the AMA :cool:

The AMA which gets an estimated %80 or more of their annual revenues from CPT codes? Which, every time a CPT code is used, the AMA gets paid.

The same CPT codes that were written into the health care law supported by the AMA?

Time to sign up for representation of clinicians :D

The AMA does not represent the best interests of physicians in general, much less pain docs and anesthesiologists.

AMA can KMA!

They sold us out when they got on board with Obama. They were against it, until they were told the only way they could have "a seat at the table" was to say doctors were for the reform.

AMA represents less than 20% of doctors now. They represent a small minority who will sell their own children to get ahead.

The whole CPT/ICD-9 BS is their entire reason for existing now, and all their politcal moves are to assure the continuation of that monopoly that has screwed doctors since it's inception.

My brother works at the AMA in Chicago. They are not at all worried about their declining ranks of docs. The CPT/ICD-9 (soon to be 10) makes up the vast majority of their money.

They have outlived their usefulness to physicians.

The AMA, ASA, "independent reviewers" are all the same, well paid ho's