Amazing how medical school admission process works

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's the second year I'm applying to med schools. So far....only a bunch of wait lists. My perfect GPA, years of research, volunteering, 7 years of work in a hospital, etc. do not seem to impress the admission committees at all. Maybe it's the fact that I have nobody to speak on my behaf? Like a father or uncle who sits on some admission committee? Tell me, does a regular person stand even a small chance of getting in? The reason why I'm so frustrated is because my friends, whose GPA and MCAT scores are much lower than mine, have all been accepted...

Members don't see this ad.

Don't get me wrong or anything....

But, if you have got a bunch of interviews, then therefore your scores impressed them.

However, you probably did not impress them during the interview...

But anyways.. I'm sorry for ya...goodluck this year

i was going to say the same thing. it seems that you passed every hurdle...up to the interview. the only logical explanation is they didn't feel you were a good match based on your interview. i'm sorry about your situation.

also, if you dont mind my asking, are you a non-traditional candidate? how old are you? anything unusual/glaring in your background?

it seems highly unlikely that an candidate with a high MCAT, "perfect GPA, years of research, volunteering, 7 years of work in a hospital" would not get into ANY medical school. plean give some more details....

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps he mentioned his "interests" in the interview! :D
I'm sure "masturbation and self-pity" don't help the adcoms too much..but hey, what can I say...when I was asked a question on a secondary about a problem I have recently encountered, I just talked about when I ran out of lube and hadn't finished the job. Wow, was my face red when I was running around the apartment with no clothes on trying to find anything to use and my roommate's girlfriend walked in!!!
:p :p :p :p

You may look good in paper, but if you don't have "people skills" and/or interviewing skills you're sunk.... I've had many people I know who don't get into med school b/c of their interview.... their personally "shines" :rolleyes: during the interview.... Some people just don't know how stuck up they sound.... or inconsiderate of others they might be.....

Needless to say, if it's not the numbers and the experience that isn't getting you into medical school, then it's more likely the interview that you bombed.....