Amazing Video: The Inner Life of a Cell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ntsystematic

Get off my bacterial lawn
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the link to an amazing video I though you all might want to see.

The Inner Life of a Cell is an eight-minute animation created in NewTek LightWave 3D and Adobe After Effects for Harvard biology students. Created by XVIVO, a scientific animation company near Hartford, CT, the animation illustrates unseen molecular mechanisms and the ones they trigger, specifically how white blood cells sense and respond to their surroundings and external stimuli. It's great!

http://aimediaserver.com/studiodaily/videoplayer/?src=harvard/harvard.swf&width=640&height=520

Members don't see this ad.

Here is the link to an amazing video I though you all might want to see.

The Inner Life of a Cell is an eight-minute animation created in NewTek LightWave 3D and Adobe After Effects for Harvard biology students. Created by XVIVO, a scientific animation company near Hartford, CT, the animation illustrates unseen molecular mechanisms and the ones they trigger, specifically how white blood cells sense and respond to their surroundings and external stimuli. It's great!

http://aimediaserver.com/studiodaily/videoplayer/?src=harvard/harvard.swf&width=640&height=520

pretty sweet. :D

My TA for Molecular Bioengineering sent that link to my entire class via e-mail. Pretty awesome

Members don't see this ad :)
my cell bio professor opened the semester with that video. it's very nicely done.

is it wrong that I found the part where the ligand binds to deactivate the enzyme somewhat emotional? :laugh: I think it has to do with that catchy piano piece they have in the background.

I was unspeakably excited when I watched this. The bilayer membrane looked exactly like I had pictured it in my head!

:thumbup: Nice, Very nice!:thumbup:

I thought it was inspirational when the monocyte squeezed in between the endothelial cells to differentiate into macrophage. Sigh one second they're monocytes, the next second theyre macrophages in the front line to protect his home. :laugh:

OMG, that was one of the coolest things Ive seen in my life. After that movie, I paused and was reassured that I was a science nerd.

Very inspirational and I love the music with it.

My prof showed this during lecture in my bio class last semester, and I emailed it to everyone I could possibly think of afterwards because I thought it was so cool. I think one of my nursing friends who goes to a different school emailed it to her bio professor and they watched it in class too.

amazing video. The dynein/kinesin (I'm not sure which it was) walking along the microtubule was amazing.

OMG, that was one of the coolest things Ive seen in my life. After that movie, I paused and was reassured that I was a science nerd.

Very inspirational and I love the music with it.

Werd. The music had a climax when they showed the kinesin walking.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, my professor showed this to our class last semester and I went home and found the video and bookmarked...I must've watched it five or six times:D

amazing video. The dynein/kinesin (I'm not sure which it was) walking along the microtubule was amazing.
yea this video has been out for at least a semester. i think it was kinesin since the entire movie was showing the production of proteins presented on the cell membrane to signal extrusion of the leukocyte through endothelial cells.

funny thing was when i showed my gf the video, the first thing she said was, "oooh that kinesin is so cute!!"

I've come across this in 2 classes now. I must admit, though, that the soundtrack for the 3-minute version is awesome. I tried so hard to find it but couldn't.

WOW!

Have they done any other videos?

I cried when I watched this, seriously.
It's the most beautiful thing ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this thing is so AMAZINNNNNNNG even though I don't understand half the things going on in there.

This is amazing! You know you're a science nerd when something like this gives you chills.:D I immediately sent the link to my cell bio prof.

honestly wasn't too impressed. i've seen similar things like this. still too simplified. sweet music though!

wow that was pretty inspirational. kinda makes me wanna go back to studyin bio...:scared:

It portrays the cell like a little colony with everyone doing their part to ensure survival. Nice.

yeah, i posted this video to the cell biology class that I TAed for last semester, everyone loved it!

:love:

I second the comments about the emotional kinesin travel. I also loved the little proteins floating around on the lipid raft... I'm not sure if they were endearing or majestic.

Times like these, I almost miss biochem.

Very neat video. I wonder if there's gonna be a Disney movie about the cells in the future. There's plenty of roles for good/bad guys :)

That was very cool. I agree with those who said this reaffirmed their bionerd status... I feel the same way... haha.

Now we just need a narrated version of it for those of us who have some trouble remembering what exactly is going on in some of those scenes!

Wow...that was one amazing illustration of the cell. anyone happen to know the name of the song playing in the background?

Very neat video. I wonder if there's gonna be a Disney movie about the cells in the future. There's plenty of roles for good/bad guys :)

Amazing idea! Send to Pixar/Disney immediately.

I cried when I watched this, seriously.
It's the most beautiful thing ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please tell me that when you said seriously, you mean you were kidding and that you did not cry...

I think I've seen the ECM, microtubules assembling, an endonuclease, transcription, translation (including on on the rER), exocytosis, the Golgi, and a monocyte slipping between (non-cerebral) endothelium. ;) ah, histology, how I love thee.

cool video. what was the protein that was walking its way up the long cytoskeletal element? (edit - ah, kinesin, that makes sense, headed towards the positive end)

> please tell me that when you said seriously, you mean you were kidding and that you did not cry...

I was serious. I cry over very bizarre things, and seldom cry over things I am expected to cry over.

is there any other link to this video with the narrative?

bumping this thread, it's totally worth seeing!