Amazon could be coming for CVS, Rite Aid & Walgreens. Over half of consumers say they are on board

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin.Mero

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
They would probably switch back when they don't get the yellow ones

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought they always ask for the round white ones? Lol!!

Depends on the drug.

People say a lot of things but don't always follow through. How many times do people threaten to change pharmacies but come back the next month. Also, they might think it will be cheaper.

Reactions: 2 users
Let me pose a question to everyone here.

"A new company is opening up. You know absolutely nothing about how this company works, BUT you have the opportunity to call THEM for a transfer for your patients instead of that one CVS/Walgreens/Rite Aid that you dread calling"

How many of you would be willing to take that gamble? And you actually have an appreciation for what a pharmacy staff goes for.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on the drug.

People say a lot of things but don't always follow through. How many times do people threaten to change pharmacies but come back the next month. Also, they might think it will be cheaper.
Are you saying the buying public is fickle? Lol and no need to answer!!

No one cares about young males. The money is in the elderly.

Reactions: 1 user
No one cares about young males. The money is in the elderly.
Agreed, but that's in the short-term! As I'm guessing Amazon is looking at a much longer horizon line, the bet is on the largest US generation ever, the Millennials. They are the ones who are comfortable with apps, online ordering, etc. The oldest Millennial is now 36. Amazon will ride the wave of dwindling Baby Boomers, pick-up some of the 66M Gen-X and wait for the 79.5M Millennials to age out or taking care of their ailing parents.

"A new company is opening up. You know absolutely nothing about how this company works, BUT you have the opportunity to call THEM for a transfer for your patients instead of that one CVS/Walgreens/Rite Aid that you dread calling"

How many of you would be willing to take that gamble? And you actually have an appreciation for what a pharmacy staff goes for.
But what if the buying public doesn't have a choice, or makes the choice unknowingly? I can remember when the UAW ratified a new agreement. The rank-and-file didn't even realize what they were voting for, they just voted because the union bosses told them to vote for it. Then the customer takes their script into their local pharmacy the next day and is told they can no longer fill it, the customer has to go call an 800# and have their refill send mail order from ESI. That is what happened in Janesville, WI. A city basically run by GM. The local pharmacy ended-up closing

Agreed, but that's in the short-term! As I'm guessing Amazon is looking at a much longer horizon line, the bet is on the largest US generation ever, the Millennials. They are the ones who are comfortable with apps, online ordering, etc. The oldest Millennial is now 36. Amazon will ride the wave of dwindling Baby Boomers, pick-up some of the 66M Gen-X and wait for the 79.5M Millennials to age out or taking care of their ailing parents.

The elderly want to get out of the house, there is a reason why many don't use mail order. This really isn't a single reason why they don't use mail order. This won't change when millennials get to this age.

The elderly want to get out of the house, there is a reason why many don't use mail order. This really isn't a single reason why they don't use mail order. This won't change when millennials get to this age.
I don't disagree about your statement regarding the elderly wanting to get out of the house. I also hope you're correct about the Millennnials not changing, I just have a different worldview.

This article is so bad that I "literally can't even" (drama queen for something that's "Intolerable").
1. N = ?. without that it's useless
2. External validity, anyone? "Young, male, tech-savvy". Sounds like your average pharmacy customer to me.
3. People are stupid.

All this survey demonstrated was the stupidity of the general population. Sure, if amazon could deliver drugs just like my paper towels (fast, cheap, no-signature) I'd be all over it too. I mean the author of the article came right and said "we think people anticipate lower prices". *****s...all of them.

Amazon should be scared that in a survey conducted of 100% Amazon prime members, only 57% said they would switch to pill-pack. That's the story here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't disagree about your statement regarding the elderly wanting to get out of the house. I also hope you're correct about the Millennnials not changing, I just have a different worldview.

So in your worldview, the elderly in the future are so tech savvy they would rather stay home and play fortnight in the basement of their landlords then get out of the house?

So in your worldview, the elderly in the future are so tech savvy they would rather stay home and play fortnight in the basement of their landlords then get out of the house?
#retirementgoals

Gamble? What the hell are you talking about? You call for the transfer because it is your job to call.

Gamble? What the hell are you talking about? You call for the transfer because it is your job to call.
Since you clearly missed the point, allow me to spell it out for you.

In this hypothetical situation, you have an opportunity to call one of two places to get the same transfer. The fact that this isn't feasible is not relevant, because it's metaphorical. You can either call the local CVSGreens down the street, who you know for almost certainty is going to take 45 minutes to answer the phone. Or you can call Amazon, who you know literally zero about their ability to do anything - maybe the phone call lasts 30 seconds, maybe it's an hour and a half.

I sure as hell would call Amazon first and give it a shot. I know there are plenty of hardworking pharmacists and techs at the hypothetical CVSgreens. I know it's not necessarily their fault that I'm on hold for 45 minutes. But I'm still on hold for 45 minutes, and I prefer to...not be on hold for 45 minutes? So I'm "on board" for an alternative.

If I, a medical professional who recognizes the amount of effort that goes into correctly filling a prescription, am willing to switch to the unknown for potentially better service, than of course "more than half of all patients" are going to.

In this hypothetical situation, you have an opportunity to call one of two places to get the same transfer. The fact that this isn't feasible is not relevant, because it's metaphorical. You can either call the local CVSGreens down the street, who you know for almost certainty is going to take 45 minutes to answer the phone. Or you can call Amazon, who you know literally zero about their ability to do anything - maybe the phone call lasts 30 seconds, maybe it's an hour and a half.

I sure as hell would call Amazon first and give it a shot. I know there are plenty of hardworking pharmacists and techs at the hypothetical CVSgreens. I know it's not necessarily their fault that I'm on hold for 45 minutes. But I'm still on hold for 45 minutes, and I prefer to...not be on hold for 45 minutes? So I'm "on board" for an alternative.

If I, a medical professional who recognizes the amount of effort that goes into correctly filling a prescription, am willing to switch to the unknown for potentially better service, than of course "more than half of all patients" are going to.

Huh? What does this have to do with anything?

You do realize you can just have the customer tell the pharmacy to transfer it over? Or call them, put them on speaker then go about your business until they pick up?

Man some people just like to complain.

You might want to look up the definition of metaphorical, but either way, we (or at the very least, I do) live in reality.

And the reality is comfort/familiarity > potential.

Also, again, you simply transfer to where the patient wants you to transfer it. There's nothing to think about.

Reality. Try it.

"Hypothetical"

Capture.PNG

To a great extent yes, I could cite many things that subsequent generations are doing differently than mine, the Boomers. I feel over time as technology assumes an even bigger role in our lives, obtaining refills thru an app and having their meds delivered by drones will be second nature. I also do not think we can discount the technological advances that are coming. Perhaps it will be our personal robot who monitors our refills, handles the ordering, and assures our adherence. Hope I can stick around long enough to see what's coming, lol!!

To a great extent yes, I could cite many things that subsequent generations are doing differently than mine, the Boomers. I feel over time as technology assumes an even bigger role in our lives, obtaining refills thru an app and having their meds delivered by drones will be second nature. I also do not think we can discount the technological advances that are coming. Perhaps it will be our personal robot who monitors our refills, handles the ordering, and assures our adherence. Hope I can stick around long enough to see what's coming, lol!!

I think you are looking a little too far into the future.

I think you are looking a little too far into the future.
Without knowing your age it's difficult to know your reference point but in just the 21st Century inventions have included GPS, touch screens, mobile operating systems, artificial hearts, YouTube, and Internet of Things. The Internet changed everything!

Without knowing your age it's difficult to know your reference point but in just the 21st Century inventions have included GPS, touch screens, mobile operating systems, artificial hearts, YouTube, and Internet of Things. The Internet changed everything!

What I'm getting at is watch the laws first. Nothing can really change until they pretty much say a pharmacist isn't needed.

Also a lot of "technology" will be expensive. Most seniors now and in the future won't have the money to buy a robot.

I personally think technology is moving way slower then predicted.

Last edited:

Computers also fly and land airplanes but they haven’t removed the pilot from the cockpit yet. The inventions you cite weren’t really directly going after an industry protected by regulation. GPS - did this replace the role of an employed individual sitting in your car telling where to turn or did it replace the need for manual maps you already had in your car? Touch screens, so we eliminated another piece of technology, the mouse? Mobile operating systems, so we were able to take our computers that we were using already and make them much more portable and accessible anywhere. YouTube... was there regulation preventing/requiring distribution of uncopyrighted video content a certain way? Etc. etc.

It’s much easier to push innovation in the tech space when there aren’t existing regulations that essentially entrench an actual human performing an activity. Current pharmacy practice laws make it difficult but not impossible to really ratchet up tech disruption. You also have to realize that many pharmacy boards like to be relevant, if they got rid of the need for 98% of the pharmacists and pharmacies within their state their importance would shrink.

Additionally, what will society accept as the disaster plan. If we become 99% dependent on robots what happens when the disaster comes and there’s only 1% of pharmacists left that are authorized to dispense and drug supply concentrated to a few distribution centers... I wonder how many people still like the comfort of the pilot in the cockpit being trained, ready and responsible just in case... I wonder how many think drivers licenses will become useless and that steering wheels in self driving cars should be removed anytime soon... technology supporting or assisting to solve a problem is one thing. Taking on 100% responsibility is another...

Reactions: 2 users
So is Amazon going to have a PBM?

What I'm getting at is watch the laws first. Nothing can really change until they pretty much say a pharmacist isn't needed.

Also a lot of "technology" will be expensive. Most seniors now and in the future won't have the money to buy a robot.

I personally think technology is moving way slower then predicted.
Haha, you kids today! That's the only problem with youth, it's wasted on the young, lol & jk! I remember back in the late 1980's when I upgraded to a plain-paper fax (from the thermal roll paper) I paid nearly $9K for that fax. Any idea what a fax machine costs today? It's free bc it's in your phone. But when's the last time you had to fax something? If it's an iPhone, it didn't exist until 2007 (it cost $499 for 4GB) and today's iPhone X with 256 GB is $48 per month.

Let's hope the day never comes when a Pharmacist is no longer needed too!!

Last edited:
Computers also fly and land airplanes but they haven’t removed the pilot from the cockpit yet. The inventions you cite weren’t really directly going after an industry protected by regulation. GPS - did this replace the role of an employed individual sitting in your car telling where to turn or did it replace the need for manual maps you already had in your car? Touch screens, so we eliminated another piece of technology, the mouse? Mobile operating systems, so we were able to take our computers that we were using already and make them much more portable and accessible anywhere. YouTube... was there regulation preventing/requiring distribution of uncopyrighted video content a certain way? Etc. etc.

It’s much easier to push innovation in the tech space when there aren’t existing regulations that essentially entrench an actual human performing an activity. Current pharmacy practice laws make it difficult but not impossible to really ratchet up tech disruption. You also have to realize that many pharmacy boards like to be relevant, if they got rid of the need for 98% of the pharmacists and pharmacies within their state their importance would shrink.

Additionally, what will society accept as the disaster plan. If we become 99% dependent on robots what happens when the disaster comes and there’s only 1% of pharmacists left that are authorized to dispense and drug supply concentrated to a few distribution centers... I wonder how many people still like the comfort of the pilot in the cockpit being trained, ready and responsible just in case... I wonder how many think drivers licenses will become useless and that steering wheels in self driving cars should be removed anytime soon... technology supporting or assisting to solve a problem is one thing. Taking on 100% responsibility is another...
I do hope you are right! I have just seen too many "regulated" industries get chipped away at for too long. Just like with the PillPack sale, you gotta follow the money!!

Haha, you kids today! That's the only problem with youth, it's wasted on the young, lol & jk! I remember back in the late 1980's when I upgraded to a plain-paper fax (from the thermal roll paper) I paid nearly $9K for that fax. Any idea what a fax machine costs today? It's free bc it's in your phone. But when's the last time you had to fax something? If it's an iPhone, it didn't exist until 2007 (it cost $499 for 4GB) and today's iPhone X with 256 GB is $48 per month.

Let's hope the day never comes when a Pharmacist is not longer needed too!!

Thank you for calling me a kid. I haven't heard that in years. It was refreshing.

Oh and I fax and receive faxes daily. Well the computer does it for me but if I worked at CVS I'd be faxing all the time.

Thank you for calling me a kid. I haven't heard that in years. It was refreshing.

Oh and I fax and receive faxes daily. Well the computer does it for me but if I worked at CVS I'd be faxing all the time.
Hey, you're welcome for the "kid" comment, lol! I realize we're still sending and receiving faxes through "normal" means kinda like the old days. But then I read news blurbs like the following and it brings me back to your comment, "I personally think technology is moving way slower then predicted." Let me know if you still think technology is moving way slower than predicted. (You see any blue-haired old ladies in the attached pic?) ... Amazon plans to open a second cashierless Go store in Seattle this fall, the tech giant confirmed to GeekWire. The experimental shops are also expected to hit Chicago and San Francisco. Customers scan their phones when entering the store, grab items off shelves and automatically get charged the correct price without stopping to pay. If the stores take off, they “would help Amazon become even more ingrained in the daily lives of consumers,” notes Recode.

Attachments

• Amazon Go retail store.jpg
    Amazon Go retail store.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 62
Hey, you're welcome for the "kid" comment, lol! I realize we're still sending and receiving faxes through "normal" means kinda like the old days. But then I read news blurbs like the following and it brings me back to your comment, "I personally think technology is moving way slower then predicted." Let me know if you still think technology is moving way slower than predicted. (You see any blue-haired old ladies in the attached pic?) ... Amazon plans to open a second cashierless Go store in Seattle this fall, the tech giant confirmed to GeekWire. The experimental shops are also expected to hit Chicago and San Francisco. Customers scan their phones when entering the store, grab items off shelves and automatically get charged the correct price without stopping to pay. If the stores take off, they “would help Amazon become even more ingrained in the daily lives of consumers,” notes Recode.

First iPhone came out in what 11 years ago? This whole cashierless stores seems like it could have came out shortly after. I just don't think anyone thought about it at the time.

This all goes back to how horrible the pharmacy softwares we use. One would think at this point it would be way more efficient but it's not even close to being able to work on its own.

I am pretty anxious about the possibility of not having a job due to amazon (which is why I never buy/support amazon). While I’m at work though I just can’t understand how a lot of customers would adjust to amazon. They are always coming to us when their mail order is arriving late, they want 30 days, no change it to 90 days, wait my “xyz” isn’t filled?, “y’all called me so I thought it was ready”, I don’t want it on auto fill, don’t call me, why didn’t you call me?, can you try these three different discount cards?? ... People can’t even read a text or listen to a phone call correctly. Extremely pissy about 30 days/90 days, fill everything, why did you fill this ... How are they going to actually deal with amazon when they can’t yell at someone in front of them or god forbid wait 15 minutes?? Maybe millennials but I don’t see the elderly switching at all. Amazon seems like a glorified mail order.

On a side note, I think the big boxes last chances to keep customers would be to focus on customer service. In order to give great customer service, we need more man power. Right now I feel like I barely am able to get anything done or even talk to customers. If they want to talk, all I think about is how behind I’m getting/how many people are pissed off their stuff won’t be ready on time. Obviously the big boxes don’t realize this. I’m supposed to be a human robot and fill things in .5 seconds without a lunch break or bathroom break for 12 hours ... but put on a big smiling face while counseling people all day and telling them they need shingrix.

I have thought long and hard and I think he solution for retail is simply more clinics/doctors in pharmacies (of course this is not new and its already happened in the past 10 yrs). Expanding on this practice will offer the best competition for amazon in my opinion. One stop and your done...Immunizations, meds,, exams in one spot is the only thing that would really make it easier for patients. Dr hands you a script and a guaranteed 15 min pickup.
Of course robots will probably need to replace techs to get stuff out on time.

Customers do not want big business handling their meds and Pharmacies do not need to follow amazon. A way around this retail mess is figure out a way to change how pharmacies are seen and accessed by customers. Health first and groceries/cosmetics last...If you want to compete with amazon on the retail front its not happening. The only way to compete is through "better health services"!

Last edited:
On a side note, I think the big boxes last chances to keep customers would be to focus on customer service. In order to give great customer service, we need more man power. Right now I feel like I barely am able to get anything done or even talk to customers. If they want to talk, all I think about is how behind I’m getting/how many people are pissed off their stuff won’t be ready on time. Obviously the big boxes don’t realize this. I’m supposed to be a human robot and fill things in .5 seconds without a lunch break or bathroom break for 12 hours ... but put on a big smiling face while counseling people all day and telling them they need shingrix.
All great points! Re getting add'l support/manpower I'm closely watching that myself. I just don't think you're going to see it though as the appetite is just not there.

I have thought long and hard and I think he solution for retail is simply more clinics/doctors in pharmacies (of course this is not new and its already happened in the past 10 yrs). Expanding on this practice will offer the best competition for amazon in my opinion. One stop and your done...Immunizations, meds,, exams in one spot is the only thing that would really make it easier for patients. Dr hands you a script and a guaranteed 15 min pickup.
Of course robots will probably need to replace techs to get stuff out on time.

Customers do not want big business handling their meds and Pharmacies do not need to follow amazon. A way around this retail mess is figure out a way to change how pharmacies are seen and accessed by customers. Health first and groceries/cosmetics last...If you want to compete with amazon on the retail front its not happening. The only way to compete is through "better health services"!
All great ideas but I just don't know where you are going to get the people to staff the clinics. There just not enough doctors and due to immigration issues, the # of foreigners coming to the US is down something like 25%. I'm pretty sure the cohort of doctors is down across the US. You could staff with NP/PA's which makes perfect sense. There are far more of them, they require far less training to become productive, and for the majority of health issues people have a mid-level could easily handle. But then you are up against the cost issue. I think labor is the second highest cost healthcare in general has. If you add a lot of add'l labor how to fund that?

Amazon does not have to turn a profit because ofits constant capitalization. It only makes money on it’s cloud service

Amazon does not have to turn a profit because ofits constant capitalization. It only makes money on it’s cloud service
Not turning a profit won't benefit them in the space the way it has in others. They can't undercut "retail pharmacy" prices due to third parties. How will not turning a profit help them steal market share? What incentive do people have to change pharmacies?