Amazon gift card for rec letter writers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was going to give my recommendation letter writers a $20 Amazon gift card along with a thank you note.

any objections?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I was going to give my recommendation letter writers a $20 Amazon gift card along with a thank you note.

any objections?

no a gift card is weird, just a thank you note is good

it would also be good to send a follow up thank you if you get into a school just to let them know how everything turned out and that you still appreciate their help

Members don't see this ad :)
it would also be good to send a follow up thank you if you get into a school just to let them know how everything turned out and that you still appreciate their help

I have already been accepted. I'll be in the class of 2016!

no a gift card is weird, just a thank you note is good

Ya a $50 gift card to Starbucks sounds nice at first, but...it might seem a little weird. Idk. A nice, hand-written thank you note is probably enough. Definitely personalize it and mention the luck you've had this cycle and your plans for the future.

congrats! save your money for loans, no one wants to take money from a poor med student :)

LOL Congrats! I gave my letter writers a thank you note and chocolate...right after they wrote it for me....

LOL Congrats! I gave my letter writers a thank you note and chocolate...right after they wrote it for me....

ooo chocolate is a good idea, or making them cookies, that is less like handing over cash

When (fingers crossed) I get accepted, I am taking each of my letter writers out for dinner, individually.

My faculty mentor has specifically commented that she finds such gifts inappropriate no matter when they are given, and she routinely gives them away. I'm sure it depends on the person, but I definitely see her point that it could look bad to give monetary or goods gifts essentially in exchange for a voluntary service from someone with whom you have a professional relationship.

ooo chocolate is a good idea, or making them cookies, that is less like handing over cash

BROWN NOSER...

jk lol. Yeah I agree with the above posters. it's just weird to give someone a gift for doing their job. I mean maybe if she saved your cat from getting run over or something chocolates would be good, but for writing a letter i would say a thank you note is the most appropriate thing.

My faculty mentor has specifically commented that she finds such gifts inappropriate no matter when they are given, and she routinely gives them away. I'm sure it depends on the person, but I definitely see her point that it could look bad to give monetary or goods gifts essentially in exchange for a voluntary service from someone with whom you have a professional relationship.

I agree, and I tend to stick to the "framed hand written thank you letter" plan, but a number of people who are providing letters for me, are professors that I have grown to share a friendship with. This is not mere sycophancy; one of my professors had passed away, and I went to his house and made dinners for his family while they were in mourning, as they were not allowed to do so themselves while observing memoriam for the lost. Multiple professors, who're writing my letters, have transitioned from teacher, to mentor, to friend. They all even signed my college yearbook. I am proud to have friends that can give me sound, objective advice when I'm in need, and I am honored that they are willing to give me their blessing in a medical school letter of reference. Steaks, Salmon, Pheasant. Beluga Caviar. Russian High Tea. Peter Lugers and The Palm. When the news of good fortune (fingers crossed, toes crossed, greater tubercle of humerus crossed) rolls in that I have been accepted to medical school, I'll be making alot of restaurant reservations to share an evening of reflection and celebration with each one of my professors who I now proudly call my friends.

I agree, and I tend to stick to the "framed hand written thank you letter" plan, but a number of people who are providing letters for me, are professors that I have grown to share a friendship with. This is not mere sycophancy; one of my professors had passed away, and I went to his house and made dinners for his family while they were in mourning, as they were not allowed to do so themselves while observing memoriam for the lost. Multiple professors, who're writing my letters, have transitioned from teacher, to mentor, to friend. They all even signed my college yearbook. I am proud to have friends that can give me sound, objective advice when I'm in need, and I am honored that they are willing to give me their blessing in a medical school letter of reference. Steaks, Salmon, Pheasant. Beluga Caviar. Russian High Tea. Peter Lugers and The Palm. When the news of good fortune (fingers crossed, toes crossed, greater tubercle of humerus crossed) rolls in that I have been accepted to medical school, I'll be making alot of restaurant reservations to share an evening of reflection and celebration with each one of my professors who I now proudly call my friends.

Uhh..... :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree, dinner, drinks, and/or a gift card would be inappopriate. I think a small, heartfelt thank-you card and a tin of homemade chocolate chip cookies would be more than enough. But only if you get in, of course.

:bullcrap:

Okay fine, you've got me on pheasant and beluga caviar; but I don't see why the others should be bolded. In any case, I am 100% serious about my "thank you plans". :)

Okay fine, you've got me on pheasant and beluga caviar; but I don't see why the others should be bolded. In any case, I am 100% serious about my "thank you plans". :)

I don't know - it's just a little weird to me that an undergrad would develop THIS close of a relationship with his professors. Are you non trad?

I don't know - it's just a little weird to me that an undergrad would develop THIS close of a relationship with his professors. Are you non trad?

I am in fact, non-trad. I spent much time and energy getting to know my professors as a student (and in making sure they got to know me,) I was offered 6 LOR from undergrad, but since I did not apply directly to medical school, I wanted to "maintain my network" so to speak - I visit my professors 2x a year, frequent email correspondence to keep them updated....from this, my professional relationships with my professors grew into friendships - to have their blessing still, after this circuitous path to medical school, that my friends stand by me with unconditional support for my ambitions, well, taking them out for dinner when their voice has helped me to secure my career, is not something I would consider inappropriate - especially considering 3 of these professors joined my parents and I for dinner to celebrate my graduation from undergrad.

I am in fact, non-trad. I spent much time and energy getting to know my professors as a student (and in making sure they got to know me,) I was offered 6 LOR from undergrad, but since I did not apply directly to medical school, I wanted to "maintain my network" so to speak - I visit my professors 2x a year, frequent email correspondence to keep them updated....from this, my professional relationships with my professors grew into friendships - to have their blessing still, after this circuitous path to medical school, that my friends stand by me with unconditional support for my ambitions, well, taking them out for dinner when their voice has helped me to secure my career, is not something I would consider inappropriate - especially considering 3 of these professors joined my parents and I for dinner to celebrate my graduation from undergrad.

"parents and me"

Sorry, it's the grammar police coming out.

Reactions: 1 user

did you go to a small private college? I'm assuming so, I can't imagine having that kind of relationship with a prof from a public university

I am not certain you are correct though; I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that I used proper grammar here.

:)

You would be incorrect.

And I find your "thank you plans" to be weird. But whatever floats your boat!

You would be incorrect.

And I find your "thank you plans" to be weird. But whatever floats your boat!

To each their own; in either case, it certainly is not a gesture that broaches unprofessionalism in any fashion.

Nahh, it seems like you're "paying" them for their letter. A heartfelt thankyou note delivered in a timely fashion is both customary and appropriate.

You forgot to mention roasted lion testicles.

I suppose I can see how giving a gift card might be deemed inappropriate, but I was thinking that since this is almost a year after the fact, it would be a nice gesture.

But who am I to complain about not giving money away? ;)

A number of universities and whatnot have restrictions about gifts. As in, professors cannot accept gifts larger than a certain amount.

A number of universities and whatnot have restrictions about gifts. As in, professors cannot accept gifts larger than a certain amount.

When they no longer are in a position to assign you a grade, they are no longer regarded by the policy as "your professor," even more so as an alumni of the university. So you may give gifts, of varying value - the gift should be nice enough to honor them, but not so nice that it shames them.

I gave Starbucks cards and professional packets. Worked out very well. 10-20$ maximum is best IMO.