Ambulatory care jobs post residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flavia28

Pharmacist
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Currently, I’m doing my PGY2 in a program similar to amb care and staff in MTM clinics as part of my staffing duties but it’s not titled amb care. I would really like to continue in this field and be BCACP certified, eventually. What are my chances of getting an amb care position after I finish PGY2 this year? Also, when should I start looking for jobs? I would really like to move back home and work in the South East.

Thank you for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
to become certified as BCACP through residency your residency should be pgy-2 in ambulatory care. One of our pharmacist did pgy-2 in geriatric pharmacy and she could not qualify for BCACP. she submitted 3 years of work experience for it.

to become certified as BCACP through residency your residency should be pgy-2 in ambulatory care. One of our pharmacist did pgy-2 in geriatric pharmacy and she could not qualify for BCACP. she submitted 3 years of work experience for it.
Sorry I meant my eventual future goal is to be BCACP certified. Will probably take 5 years which is fine with me. I know I will not be eligible right away. I was more so wondering how likely is it that I can get an amb care position after I graduate?

That's a tough one. I have no idea what pharmacogenomics PGY2s do...I have actually only seen 1 pharmacogenomics position posted ever, whenever I looked at jobs. I guess it depends who the other applicants are for individual positions. However, if you have a ton of clinic experience, you would likely be a competitive applicant for SOME positions, especially those at managed care companies.

That's a tough one. I have no idea what pharmacogenomics PGY2s do...I have actually only seen 1 pharmacogenomics position posted ever, whenever I looked at jobs. I guess it depends who the other applicants are for individual positions. However, if you have a ton of clinic experience, you would likely be a competitive applicant for SOME positions, especially those at managed care companies.
Thank you! That is good to know. Yes there aren’t a lot of jobs in this field, yet. But My PGY1 was in a hospital in an ambulatory care track program so I have clinic experience and feel comfortable in this area. Sadly, ASHP doesn’t yet recognize acute care and amb care in PGY1 as two separate tracks, however. So I wasn’t sure what the job market is like.

Sorry I meant my eventual future goal is to be BCACP certified. Will probably take 5 years which is fine with me. I know I will not be eligible right away. I was more so wondering how likely is it that I can get an amb care position after I graduate?
yes you can get an amcare position with your pgy-2. I was able to get one with just bcps without residency. really depends on clinic site. my biggest fear was that they are limiting budget at outpatient clinic sits. hiring PAs and NPs more instead of Mds. So I thought, they might eliminate full time rph position in future if they have to make budget cuts.