Ambulatory-focused PGY1s in NC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bacillus1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am now a P4 and looking at residencies. I have thought that I want to go into am care since late P2, and this desire has been confirmed by my amb. care rotation. However, I have already had 3 pharmacists tell me not to go into an amb. care focused PGY1 because there are no jobs after this program. Now, I think the VA is generally "safe" for these types of programs, as there are a lot of VAs, but I have also noticed several of these residencies in NC not connected to VA or Kaiser, and some of these look like really interesting programs. 3 that I can name are Mission Hospitals, Moses Cone and Carolinas Medical Center. Would it be a terrible mistake to apply to any of these programs, or are there actually am care jobs available in (or out of) the area to the graduates of these residencies?

And I guess I would extend this question to other programs like this, outside of NC, but I know there's more am care focused stuff going on in NC, so I figured maybe that's the place to go for an amb. care residency.

Members don't see this ad.

I am now a P4 and looking at residencies. I have thought that I want to go into am care since late P2, and this desire has been confirmed by my amb. care rotation. However, I have already had 3 pharmacists tell me not to go into an amb. care focused PGY1 because there are no jobs after this program. Now, I think the VA is generally "safe" for these types of programs, as there are a lot of VAs, but I have also noticed several of these residencies in NC not connected to VA or Kaiser, and some of these look like really interesting programs. 3 that I can name are Mission Hospitals, Moses Cone and Carolinas Medical Center. Would it be a terrible mistake to apply to any of these programs, or are there actually am care jobs available in (or out of) the area to the graduates of these residencies?

And I guess I would extend this question to other programs like this, outside of NC, but I know there's more am care focused stuff going on in NC, so I figured maybe that's the place to go for an amb. care residency.

The best way to figure this out would be to see what jobs/positions the past residents of these programs are doing. Some programs' websites show you this. If they don't show it, then you can probably contact the program coodinator or ask them about it at ASHP midyear.

I would apply to more VA. Their ambulatory care program rocks. When I did my pgy-1, even though am care wasnt my thing, I still loved having the prescribing rights in hand. Hardly any other programs give you that much autonomy. Also lots of primary care openings in the VA right now with some very good pay due to the expansion.

Look at the columbus, Ohio VA program. The facility is brand new. You get a comfortable 45 minutes per patient. Residency pay is better than most, and lots of government holidays. It's a 100% focused program, so you basically get a pgy2 training in just one year.

Also your NC license is good at any of the VA, saving you from more tests.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Also your NC license is good at any of the VA, saving you from more tests.

I'm not from NC, but it's a state that's sort of driving distance that is relatively progressive. CA is progressive too, but it's far away from me. The Columbus VA sounds good, and not ridiculously far away. I would just imagine that the VAs in big cities tend to be rather competitive. I was kind of figuring that I should apply to lots of VAs and Kaisers regardless.

I'm not from NC, but it's a state that's sort of driving distance that is relatively progressive. CA is progressive too, but it's far away from me. The Columbus VA sounds good, and not ridiculously far away. I would just imagine that the VAs in big cities tend to be rather competitive. I was kind of figuring that I should apply to lots of VAs and Kaisers regardless.

Any state's license is good enough for the VA. VA is great for ambulatory care in general. 4 our of the 7 residency sites i applied to were VAs. My good friend did kaiser's residency in Ohio, over all he liked it, but he did complain that a lot of it involved talking to patients over the phone when he rather see patients face to face.

Last edited: