SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

AMCAS '08 App questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wanttogetin, May 4, 2007.

1. wanttogetin

wanttogetin

May 3, 2007
    Hi everyone- I started filling out my application last night, and I have a few quesitons that I couldn't really find straight-forward answers on.
    -In the section to list misdemeanors, do traffic tickets count? I have one speeding ticket, and one ticket for spectating at a street race (which was written as a non-moving traffic violation). Should I put these on there? I don't want to try to hide them or anything, but I also don't want to get thrown into some sort of criminal pile!

-I studied abroad for a summer, and the credits went directly onto my home university transcript. The transcript itself doesn't even say that they were study abroad. According to the directions, I should put the foreign university as one of my schools, and say that no transcript is required. However, when I check the "Study Abroad" button, it will say that it's a study abroad through "this US institution," when it's obviously not in the US. How did you guys input your study abroad credits if you had them?

I think I'm done rambling for now, thank you very much to anyone that can help!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. kypdurron5

kypdurron5 10+ Year Member

Dec 3, 2005
    As for the study abroad I believe what it's talking about is if you were to take classes at a foreign university (even if the credits transferred). If that's the case, you would need a transcript from that university. With my study abroad program we studied through our own university abroad, so as far as ACMAS is concerned it doesn't matter where the course was completed- it is just another course from your undergrad institution and you should not need to list the "study abroad program."

As for the criminal issue I'm not nearly as certain, but from the other threads that have popped up since AMCAS 2008 it seems as though most traffic violations (moving and non-moving) are not considered "misdemeanors." Furthermore, going to traffic court does not constitute "being convicted of a crime."

4. BoxtaDoc

BoxtaDoc 7+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2007
    You would know if you had a misdemeanor...so i doubt you have one. Most traffic violations aren't midemeanors. Street racing is a misdemeanor, but seeing as you were just spectating and you received a non-moving violation, it shouldn't be considered one. I think you are fine.

5. armybound

armybound future urologist. Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Uranus
    how do you fill in transfer credits?

6. kypdurron5

kypdurron5 10+ Year Member

Dec 3, 2005
    You have to enter the college info, then have that college send a transcript.

7. armybound

armybound future urologist. Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Uranus
    I know that much.

I also transferred in hours from CC to my university. They gave me 5 hours with no grade at the university, it's just hours.

8. JiSU

JiSU 2+ Year Member

Apr 13, 2007
    You put the grade that the CC gave you despite the fact that your school doesn't count the grades. AMCAS does.

9. JiSU

JiSU 2+ Year Member

Apr 13, 2007
    You can't use tabs to indent paragraphs, and if you use five spaces it doesn't seem to work (NOT to mention eat up space). Should we just skip lines?

10. st0w

st0w plasticperineum syndrome 10+ Year Member

Aug 17, 2006
    OH
    MDApps:
    It depends on how your state classifies them. If your state considers them to be misdemeanors, then you have to report them. However if your state considers them lesser "infractions," then you're free and clear.

Best bet is to get a copy of your driving record from the DMV. Many states expunge driving-related charges after so many years, so they might not even be on your record any more. :)