Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

AMCAS 2003 Course work section

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SaraMac13, May 15, 2002.

1. SaraMac13

SaraMac13 Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi, I'm working on the application right now, and as AMCAS is completely unreachable I thought I'd try this. I was wondering, when you enter your course work, what do you put as the course title and what do you put as the course number. For example, for one of my classes, my transcript says: Integrative Biology 131- Human Anatomy. When I use "Human Anatomy" as the title, and 131 as the number, it lists on the application as "Human Anatomy 131". Is this right? Also, I opted to take a class P/NP even though it could have been graded. Do I list that class as a P/NP type class? If anyone has any idea about this stuff I would really appreciate it, and good luck to all you guys applying!!

2. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, you've done it correctly. You must list the class in the same manner in which it exists on your transcripts. It is especially important that the name is the same on your application as it is on the transcript so that the AMCAS people can verify that it is correct. List classes that you took as Pass/No-Pass (Pass/Fail) as such on the AMCAS application. These classes will not be counted in your GPA calculations.

3. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just want to make sure, because there's been some confusion with some people at my school and the pre-med advisors are new to this stuff.
    So, the subject area will not be included at all on the course work.
    E.g.
    One row of my official transcript says:
    CHEMICAL STRUCTURE CHEM 20A
    So, I'll simply enter 20A as course number and CHEMICAL STRUCTURE as course title. CHEM won't appear anywhere?

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    I think that is fine. They will know it's a chemistry course from both the title of the course (in this case) and the fact that you must place the course in the Chemistry category.

The summary of the AMCAS application that the schools receive electronically will list each class you have taken as follows:

Status (FR, SO, JR, SR, PB, or GR)
    Course Class (CHEM, BIOL, HEAL, BESS, OTHR, etc.)
    Course Name (Chemical Structure, Calclus II, Fundamentals of Biology I w/ Lab, etc.)
    Course Number (20A, 101, F202X, etc.)
    OT Hours (official transcript credit hours)
    OT Grade (official transcript grade)
    Sem Hours (AMCAS credit hours)
    AMCAS Grade (AMCAS grade)
    AMCAS USE (a notation describing how the grade was verified, i.e., if AMCAS needed to adjust anything in the grade)

So, the schools will know the type of course from what AMCAS calls the Course Class. This is how AMCAS knows which courses are included in the BCPM GPA as they only include the courses that you specify as BIOL, MATH, CHEM, PHYS.

5. pocwana

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    duh, i didn't even think of that.
    thanks a lot mpp.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I entered the course number on mine last year as "Chem 19a" and the title as General Chemistry I (as an example).

7. pocwana

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    For some of my classes, all of that won't fit. e.g. COMPTNG 10A or ENGCOMP 131C
    The names are so long, I can't even enter the course number.

Oh well, I presume the people reviewing the transcript are intelligent enough to sort this thing out. After all, they do have the course title and number to correlate.

[sigh] it's just beginning and already frustrating. it's inspiring to hear people who have gotten through the whole AMCAS process and are still alive!

8. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    I had the same problem last year. Just put the course number for the classess you mentioned as 10A and 131C. You will choose the Computer Science and English categories for those classes and so it will appear on the AMCAS summary as ENGL 131C Course Title.

9. randomlogik

randomlogik Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey I have a question. My biochem class is in the Biology department at my school. However, AMCAS says to put it the Chem category. I dunno...I always liked to think of it as a biology course, but I guess I am gonna have to stick it in with all of those chemistry ones :p

10. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by randomlogik:
    <strong>Hey I have a question. My biochem class is in the Biology department at my school. However, AMCAS says to put it the Chem category. I dunno...I always liked to think of it as a biology course, but I guess I am gonna have to stick it in with all of those chemistry ones :p </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It won't make a difference.