AMCAS 2003 MD/PhD Application Problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent this e-mail to AMCAS. I got a "Your message has been queued" response, with a copy of this e-mail truncated halfway through the first question. I hope it didn't get through to whoever answers like that :(

Anyways, here goes:

------ pasted ------

My application is almost complete, but when I go to designate the medical schools to which I'd like to apply there are two strange things.

1) For all schools, the "Combined Medical Degree/Ph.D" option is listed under a "You need SPECIAL PERMISSION from this medical school to select:" heading. I've contacted one medical school already about this (Washington University) and they said that this message was an error and that no prior permission was required. I believe that all medical schools anticipate this selection in advance (without prior permission) so that they know which secondary to send you. Is it ok to proceed with the selection of "Combined Medical Degree/Ph.D" programs?

2) When I select a medical school with the "Combined Medical Degree/Ph.D" option and click next it does not increment the amount of money I should owe for my application. Sure I would like my application to be free, but I am under the impression that this is not the way it is supposed to be. Note that when I select a school for the regular MD program, it does add the appropriate amount of money to my bill. Are MD/PhD applications free, is this a bug, or will I be asked for the money later?

I would like to go ahead and select all the schools to which I would like to apply, but I want to make sure that my concerns in 1 & 2 are taken care of or I am told to proceed before I continue so that I can avoid later complications.

------ done ------

Let the AMCAS 2003 fiasco begin!

Members don't see this ad.

I had your second problem as well...the money doesn't add up.

The first problem I didn't ahve and I believe WashU is on my list.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by sluox:
•I had your second problem as well...the money doesn't add up.

The first problem I didn't ahve and I believe WashU is on my list.•••••Did you go ahead and submit the application even without the money coming out right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Neuronix,
I have the exact same questions you do, could you please keep me posted on any reply you get back from AMCAS?
Thanks

So anyone hear about it? LIke, when is AAMC gonna fix it?

I hope they don't fix it! Right now, it has me listed as paying $150 to apply to more than a dozen schools. If only Northwestern had an MD/PhD option listed, I wouldn't pay a thing. HA!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by kreno:
•So anyone hear about it? LIke, when is AAMC gonna fix it?•••••I wrote AMCAS that e-mail I posted here Wednesday afternoon. No response yet. Who knows when I will recieve one (never?) ?

#1 yes
#2 no - My app is still free

I got #1 fixed by writing to someone at Wash U before I wrote AMCAS last week. I wrote the guy at Wash U again yesterday about #2 and I didn't receive a response today. Nothing yet from AMCAS. Been 9 days now.

Received AMCAS response today.
As you can see, the first part of the e-mail doesn't apply to me, as it lists other special programs, not the MD/PhD program. The second part of the e-mail says that MD/PhD admission is indeed free.

Cool, I'm now applying to 20 schools, with even more emphasis on the ones that will wine & dine me. Well, not really, but it sure seems strange that MD/PhD applications are free. I bet this is wrong. I will keep asking around.

----------------------------------------------

Summary: Strangeness in Selection of Combined Medical School Programs

Dear Applicant,

You need prior permission to apply to the following programs: Deferred/Delayed Matriculant Early Assurance
Combined Bachelors/Medical Degree
Other Special Program

The program you are attempting to select is a special program and no fees are charged

AMCAS
thn

Last year I was told that you must submit an application to the MD program to be considered for the MD/PhD program. Selecting MD/Phd or some other program (MD/JD, MD/MBA, MD/MPH, etc.) on the AMCAS application just signals to the admissions office that you are interested in these other programs as well. I think that is what the AMCAS folks might be talking about.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by mpp:
•Last year I was told that you must submit an application to the MD program to be considered for the MD/PhD program. Selecting MD/Phd or some other program (MD/JD, MD/MBA, MD/MPH, etc.) on the AMCAS application just signals to the admissions office that you are interested in these other programs as well. I think that is what the AMCAS folks might be talking about.•••••That can't be right though because you can't select MD and MD/PhD on the same screen and if you select a school for MD/PhD OR MD the school disappears from the list of schools you can add. So you can't select a school for MD and MD/PhD.

I think the apps last year were different. Like I hear you checked a box for MD/PhD. This year you select whether you want the school for MD only, MD/PhD, other programs, etc... and you can only select one of those choices.

WOW, this doesn't make any sense at all! I haven't heard anything like this...I don't think applying MSTP is free of charge. Did they release a phone number? I think I'm gonna have to talk to them too.

Again, I have NEVER heard that MD/PHD is free for AMCAS. I don't think the NIH subsidize that.

Just go with it guys. If you are applying MD/PhD and there is no charge, don't worry about it. There is nothing about interest in an MD/PhD program listed. You choose MD or you choose MD/PhD. It's free! Be happy, not wary!

As a followup, my AMCAS app now charges me the normal rate for all my MD/PhD schools. Seems that they fixed their bug and that the dingus who wrote me before had no idea what he was talking about.

Customer service, the lost art of American business.

This really screws me, time to go beg parents immediately for money I told them I didn?t need before.