AMCAS 2004: How many schools are you guys applying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exmike

NOR * CAL
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got 46 schools checked off. I know, thats way too many, but I haven't pared it down yet. How many are you guys planning to apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not really sure yet, but I've read it books that we should aim at around 12, although it seems that most people apply to more...I think the many determinant is financial concerns.

63 is (in my opinion) a waste of money. Lady in Red (an SDNer of yore...) applied to 56 and couldn't find the money to eat AND pay for all the secondaries. Also after 20 (or 30 for CA residents) there really are minimal increased returns. Not trying to upset you...just save you a boatload of money!

btw - as a suggestion - this thread would work well as a poll.... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by the boy wonder
63 is (in my opinion) a waste of money. Lady in Red (an SDNer of yore...) applied to 56 and couldn't find the money to eat AND pay for all the secondaries. Also after 20 (or 30 for CA residents) there really are minimal increased returns. Not trying to upset you...just save you a boatload of money!

btw - as a suggestion - this thread would work well as a poll.... ;)
Why do you say minimal return?
You're right about the poll. should i just start a new thread?

sure just start a poll thread...it doesn't really matter (if someone were being real picky they could say it was a TOS violation - but just blame me ;) )

It's true that the 46th school you apply to MIGHT be the one that would accept you...but if you get accepted to one, its likely you would be accepted to multiple if you really applied to 46. Most people say 20-30 as pretty much a maximum. To be honest all the primary fees + all the secondary fees + airfares add up (I guarantee the ones you are LEAST interested in will come through first) Think really carefully whether you would *really* like to attend any of those 46 schools before applying to all of them.

Wow, I cant imagine doing some 40-odd secondary applications, but whatever floats your boat/bank account.

Im applying to 15 schools total.

I've picked about 12-13 so far. I think I'll cap it at 15.